Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaci3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
So I bought the 12 pro max, I’ve had it for 1 week. I’m seriously considering returning it for the 12 pro. Am I crazy?
I upgraded from the 7plus. Based on dimensions, holding the phones side by side, I don’t think the 12 pro max is THAT much bigger but it feels enormous to me. I know it’s in my head, but my arms feel kinda strained holding it. My husband keeps saying I’ll get used to it, but I question that since I haven’t yet. Help!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I have both.. and ( had the 6S+, 7+, 8+, X, XS ) while the regular pro is indeed very comfortable to hold ( and may very well serve your needs ) I find myself missing the Max every time I pick up the Pro!

Also, the battery in the Max is leaps and bounds better than the Pro! The speaker sounds fuller and bass’ier to me as well.

The cameras are nearly identical to my untrained eye, so that point is moot for me.

I’ve decided to keep the max and return the Pro.

Got the saddle brown Apple leather case and is perfect!

YMMV

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
I was considering dropping the Max after using the 12 Pro for 3 weeks up until last Friday when the Max came. However, I’m 90/10 for sticking with the Max now. I like the size of the Pro better because it’s more convenient, but I can live with this.

Kaci3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I’m trying to like the size and stick with it, but it’s driving me nuts. I feel like I’m using a brick.. which makes zero sense because I’ve had the plus/Max phones previously. At the same time, I’ve gone to the store and played with the pro.. I don’t necessarily love that phone either. Maybe I should just go back to my old phone.

Gator5000e

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
I just got back for the Apple store after returning my Max. It was just ok big and unwieldy for me. It may have better low light photography but its not worth the struggle for me to handle it. The 12 Pro is perfect for me and that is what I’m sticking with.

Kaci3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I just got back for the Apple store after returning my Max. It was just ok big and unwieldy for me. It may have better low light photography but its not worth the struggle for me to handle it. The 12 Pro is perfect for me and that is what I’m sticking with.
So you did switch from the max to the pro? Does the pro feel too small? I’m in this weird spot with the phones... pro is smaller than my old phone, Max is bigger, feels like I can’t win lol.

meetsam23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
So I bought the 12 pro max, I’ve had it for 1 week. I’m seriously considering returning it for the 12 pro. Am I crazy?
I upgraded from the 7plus. Based on dimensions, holding the phones side by side, I don’t think the 12 pro max is THAT much bigger but it feels enormous to me. I know it’s in my head, but my arms feel kinda strained holding it. My husband keeps saying I’ll get used to it, but I question that since I haven’t yet. Help!
Yes you are :)

Kidding.

12 pro max is an awesome device and with time you'd get used to it. 12 pro is equal beast, but then it depends on your comfort level. Choosing either one doesn't make you a crazy one :)

Reactions: artfossil

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Your body already told you that you need to return the phone. If you don’t, you will end up regretting it. You shouldn’t have to get used to the phone. If it is the right size and weight for you, it should be comfortable from day one.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I'm having the same dilemma. Got the 12 Pro first but was missing the big screen of my XS Max and returned it for the 12PM, now after a week with it im not so sure. Because of the squared off design and weight it FEELS so much bigger than my old XS Max even though I know the dimensions are similar. Considering going back to the 12 Pro. Whatever device I choose I plan on keeping it for at least 2 years so I want to make sure I choose the right one. One good thing is because of the holiday season the return/exchange period is extended so I have a while to decide.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Coming from the 11 Pro Max, I decided to try the smaller device this year. I returned the 12 Pro because I was disappointed with the small screen every time I used it. I’ve got the 12PM now, and I love it!

if you got the 12PM from Apple, you have until January 8 to return it. Might as well use that time to see if it grows on you.

Reactions: happy orchard

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Coming from regular 11, I may ditch mine. Little too big and heavy for my taste.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It’s your call. If you don’t feel comfortable operating the device, get a different one.
In my opinion it’s all just personal preference and most people could adjust to any iPhone currently available if they put some effort into it.
But then again, life is short, don’t waste it overthinking purchases or what others do with their time.

Reactions: baconroll

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
In the end, it’s up to you. I prefer the bigger size and the weight of the phone really doesn’t bother me at all. I have no trouble using the phone and I don’t feel any discomfort from using it for long periods of time, either. I have a popsocket that helps distribute the weight and makes it easier to hold. Just stick with what you like best. For me, the bigger - the bettter!

Gator5000e

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
So you did switch from the max to the pro? Does the pro feel too small? I’m in this weird spot with the phones... pro is smaller than my old phone, Max is bigger, feels like I can’t win lol.
I am originally coming from a X. So the big size of the Max was not the norm for me. I ordered the regular Pro and then ordered the Max because I was interested in the better low light camera. But honestly I haven’t seen a huge difference in the pictures. So in the long run, the regular Pro is much more comfortable for me to use.

Last edited:

Kaci3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Your body already told you that you need to return the phone. If you don’t, you will end up regretting it. You shouldn’t have to get used to the phone. If it is the right size and weight for you, it should be comfortable from day one.
I’d agree with you. Problem is can’t say I loved the pro either when I was playing with it.. I know, I sound crazy.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
It is.. but I found it too small. It’s definitely the max or the pro. I’m just not in love with either. Maybe I should just go back to my 7plus.
Or. You can get the iPhone 11 Pro Max or you can get the iPhone 12 wish I did. I found the 6.1” screen size to be the Perfect size not too big not to small

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.