Keyboard layout- why no number row?

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Ok, am I missing something? How come there's no number row on the keyboard on the iPhone? I know there's a version with a number row as I forgot what I was doing at the time, but when I needed to type something, a keyboard popped up and there was a number line above the normal keys. It's so much easier to type than always hitting 123 button to switch to numbers.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
There is a single key at the bottom-left which will toggle to the "number keypad" (also with the period and @ symbols).
If there's a way to toggle to a 4-row alt keyboard, I'm all ears!

contacos

macrumors 601
Sometimes I wonder if Android has copyright on certain little things that are so obvious and I wonder why Apple has not implemented it since iOS 1. Besides the number keypad, another thing would be placing app icons anywhere on the home screen.

AstonSmith

macrumors member
The original iPhones were quite small screened... maybe it's a hangover from those days, where they think the number row would take up too much room? Do iPads have a number row?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
The lack of a number row makes it a real pain to type in passwords with a combination of letters and numbers. The iPad has tons of vertical space and yet it’s not there either.

contacos

macrumors 601
The original iPhones were quite small screened... maybe it's a hangover from those days, where they think the number row would take up too much room? Do iPads have a number row?

Nope but at least on iPad you can swipe up on the keyboard letters to type a number instead (only works more or less though)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
This is so annoying especially since I always get the max size phones... at least add it on those. All of that gray empty space at the bottom where the mic and emoji icon are.... Surely they could implement those somewhere else and use that space.

9917B025-D295-48AF-9F80-0886162FB9A8.jpeg

Fruit Stand

Suspended
This is so annoying especially since I always get the max size phones... at least add it on those. All of that gray empty space at the bottom where the mic and emoji icon are.... Surely they could implement those somewhere else and use that space.

View attachment 2097010

The keyboard in question here is available on all of Apple’s own internal devices including retail.

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
yes the 12.9 ipad pros have number rows all other ipads have the flick keys. Iphone is the only apple device with a inferior keyboard. and they do nothing to make it better.

egmonou

macrumors newbie
This thirdy party one looks almost like the native one "number row keyboard"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.