Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over six months ago, Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the likelihood of a new Apple Watch Ultra being released in 2024 was "decreasing," but it now sounds like there will be an Apple Watch Ultra 3 this year after all.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-feature-blorange.jpg

In a direct message shared with MacRumors today, Kuo said that while the Apple Watch Ultra will be updated this year, the new model will have "almost no" hardware upgrades compared to the Apple Watch Ultra 2. Kuo did not reveal any specific changes planned for the Apple Watch Ultra 3, which will presumably launch in September.

A third-generation Apple Watch SE is also a possibility this year if Apple sticks to a two-year upgrade cycle for that model, but the successor to the Apple Watch Series 9 is not entirely clear. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman previously reported about a redesigned "Apple Watch X" with a thinner case and magnetic bands, but he said it would be released "in 2024 or 2025," so it is not clear if it will launch this year or next year.

In any case, Gurman previously said the model that succeeds the Apple Watch Series 9 will offer blood pressure sensing and sleep apnea detection, and these features would almost certainly extend to the Apple Watch Ultra 3.

The original Apple Watch was unveiled in September 2014, and launched in April 2015, so the device is approaching its tenth anniversary.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Watch Ultra to Get 'Almost No' Hardware Upgrades This Year

• Haha
Reactions: d0sed0se

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
They don’t seem to know what more to do with the Watch at this point. I’ve upgraded every three years and am due this year but can’t think of a reason to go from 7 to 10. I'm more likely to hold off.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Then why bother?

in the next breath they say it will get blood pressure and sleep apnea detection. I bet it also gets a new color option. that isn't "nothing" and not surprising either since Apple never updates the body design sooner than after 3 full years on one design and ultra won't reach that till Sept 2025. now if Series doesn't get a major hardware look update I'd be shocked since they are due this year for one... if it doesn't happen I suspect its just delays apple didn't count on.

cuiver

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2020
There is little to no competition in this rugged wearable space, so this is to be expected. Developing new features costs money, and if they can run it with just some incremental updates, they make more $$$ out of it. The other brands needs to get their s***t together and make some minimally competitive products so that Apple can feel compelled to be more active in the upgrades.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Very happy with my AWU first gen and don't foresee any reason to upgrade any time soon.

I do hope they fix the software issues that have been plaguing watchOS 10 though.

WatchOS 10.4 has been the absolute worst. Battery life is slightly down and my weather and sunrise/sunset complications stop working every few days. I have to do a reset of both my watch and phone before they work again.

Reactions: Jmausmuc

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
They don’t seem to know what more to do with the Watch at this point. I’ve upgraded every three years and am due this year but can’t think of a reason to go from 7 to 10. In more likely to hold off.

still a chance the 10 will be a major redesign (in terms of the body, look, band design) combined with blood pressure / sleep apnea detection. they are due a design change this year based on their 3 year cadence since the very first Apple Watch and with it being the 10th version I'm sure they wanted to make a splash... the only question is if something got delayed and for the first time they move to a 4 year identical design cycle (7, 8, 9 and 10) because it wasn't ready in time. the ultra was never due a big redesign this year, it is only entering its 3rd year and will likely get the blood pressure / sleep apnea detection and maybe a new color option. that's enough till the ultra is due its first redesign in 2025.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
They'll release a Ultra 3, and put some gimmicky software in it that they say only the 3 is capable of running, when both the 1 and 2 could both easily run it.

there is one major thing Ultra lacks that essentially all other premium sport watches in the price category have... mapping and real time hiking/running/biking directions. apple has admitted to people in the sports tech space like Ray Maker (of DC Rainmaker) they know the Apple Watch lacks this and its on their radar... I suspect the mapping will come to Ultra 3 this year and maybe be exclusive to it with some lame excuse of why Ultra/Ultra 2 can't have it. Add blood pressure monitoring / sleep apnea detection and iOS 18 / watchOS getting an AI based coaching system in the fitness app this year it should be a decent year for people who wear an Apple Watch for sport and health.

Reactions: macvicta

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
There is little to no competition in this rugged wearable space, so this is to be expected. Developing new features costs money, and if they can run it with just some incremental updates, they make more $$$ out of it. The other brands needs to get their s***t together and make some minimally competitive products so that Apple can feel compelled to be more active in the upgrades.

That's just laughable. Garmin Fenix / Epix are the big gorilla in the rugged high end sport watch space with Coros / Polar and others making inroads. Sure Apple is Apple, but Ultra competes directly with those watches which are updated on a yearly cadence and of course have way more features than the Ultra. Apple made the Ultra to wean those users away from Garmin etc. because they represented an affluent community of watch wearers who buy $700-1200 watches and had avoided Apple because they needed features Apple didn't provide.

Reactions: Yonizzle

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Apple Watch Ultra will certainly, probably not get a hardware update.

It will get whatever hardware changes are inside the Series 10... so any chip changes, sensor changes, etc. The hardware look won't change because Apple does that after 3 years and Ultra will have only been on the market 2 years this fall. I suspect maybe an additional dark color option at most.

Reactions: macvicta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.