Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoacomp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Help - Anyone!!! I'm trying to upgrade form Tiger to Leopard by I need 7.0 GB of space and apparently I only have 3.9 available . . . out of 111.0. I don't even know how that's possible. I'm not really computer savvy at all so I don't even begin to know how to clear space to make room or what to do. OR how to archive and what that means. Etc. Anyone able and willing to walk me through it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

2. Get an external HDD for backup and storage purposes or upgrade your internal HDD if the files and folders you found shan't be deleted.

3. Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
RAM vs. Hard Disk

4. Overcome your computer un-savvyness and weep after reading the following conglomerate:

soundguy15

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
Try using DiskInventoryX to see what's taking up your space. If you need all your data just get an external drive.

cocoacomp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Got it

Thanks guys, I found out where the problem was. Now I need to know what the best way is to upgrade from Leopard to Tiger. I have Leapord on a disc ready to go but do I just press "Upgrade" when it asks or do I Archive the old system and then blah, blah, blah?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.