Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It was a clean install.

I was thinking of doing another clean install over the weekend, but maybe I'll try creating a new user account first.

But even aside from the apps launching by themselves, Catalina feels slower than Mojave, particularly when logging in or out of or switching between accounts. Mojave was snappy. When logging out of Catalina, the dock hangs there for a few seconds before it finally decides to log out which seems to be another common issue with 10.15

And system is fully up-to-date

I have also noticed that logging out is slower than it was with Mojave. I have not encountered the issue of programs auto relaunching when I login to my user account.

I did have one particular thing happen. I downloaded and installed a third party application. It downloaded as a DMG file. After the application was installed I found that periodically the DMG would be auto mounted by itself after I rebooted and logged into my user account. I ended up deleting the DMG file and the issue went away. For some reason only that DMG file was being auto mounted. I had several other third party DMGs that we’re not being auto mounted.

Catalina does have a few quirks that I have seen but for the most part it has been stable for me. No crashes or kernel panics so far for me. There are a few features that I really like in Catalina such as file stacks on the Desktop.

EDIT: I think I understand why the DMG was auto mounting. When I installed the third party application I dragged the application from the mounted imagine to the Application folder that was in my dock. It turns out that doing it this way creates an alias. So when I was double clicking on the app, to run it, I was actually double clicking on the alias which would then cause the DMG to have to auto mount. I solved this by opening the Application folder directly and then dragging the app from the mounted image to the actual Application folder.

Last edited:

BadWolf13

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2009
Here's a kicker for anyone following this. On the weekend, accidentally left an app running when I rebooted the computer. The app wasn't running when the computer started up.

So if I close an app just before I shut down, it'll start up, but if I leave the app running when I shut down, it doesn't start up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.