Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you notice bluetooth troubles with the latest iOS beta?

• Yes

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's in the release notes for this beta.
Where can public beta testers find them? The links always take me to the beta website but I can't figure out where they're hiding them from there.

And yes, BT is borked for me. Can't hold onto a call in my Chrysler 200 rental and it is super flakey if trying to play from another source than the Music app (like Pocketcasts). It'll sometimes error on first play.

DeathBecomesMe

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
If things like this really annoy you, then why even install betas? You obviously can't handle the ups and downs of a beta. Things can stop working for 1-2 builds all the time. That is the risk you take. 9.0 beta 2 crashed Settings app when trying to change sounds. Sound has been around since the dawn of time, how dare Apple break sounds for 2 weeks!!!
Meow.

Avarize

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
All my devices including my vehicle connect properly but the button for speaker/Bluetooth on the phone screen no longer appears.

Reactions: pnd4pnd

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Where can public beta testers find them? The links always take me to the beta website but I can't figure out where they're hiding them from there.

And yes, BT is borked for me. Can't hold onto a call in my Chrysler 200 rental and it is super flakey if trying to play from another source than the Music app (like Pocketcasts). It'll sometimes error on first play.

I'm in both programs, but I believe the release notes are free to read on the Apple Developer website. If not, I can find a link that tells what has changed in the build, I know Bluetooth was the big broken one.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm in both programs, but I believe the release notes are free to read on the Apple Developer website. If not, I can find a link that tells what has changed in the build, I know Bluetooth was the big broken one.

While the release notes ARE "free to read on the Apple Developer website", they are behind the firewall. One can only get to them by logging in with their Apple developer credentials... so they are not available to the general public - and they are protected by the non-disclosure agreement.

This is one of my peeves about the whole "public beta" thing. Either it's a developer process protected by NDA (developer preview) or it's not (public beta). If it's public, there is really no point for any NDA... yet those who participate in the public beta cannot (legally) get access to the release notes.

It's kind of an awkward situation for the user - how does one know if the improvements and updates in the public beta are worth the risk if they cannot see what is being changed and see the known issues and workarounds?

I have a developer account, so as far as I am concerned, the issue is moot. But overall, it's just a strange arrangement.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
While the release notes ARE "free to read on the Apple Developer website", they are behind the firewall. One can only get to them by logging in with their Apple developer credentials... so they are not available to the general public - and they are protected by the non-disclosure agreement.

This is one of my peeves about the whole "public beta" thing. Either it's a developer process protected by NDA (developer preview) or it's not (public beta). If it's public, there is really no point for any NDA... yet those who participate in the public beta cannot (legally) get access to the release notes.

It's kind of an awkward situation for the user - how does one know if the improvements and updates in the public beta are worth the risk if they cannot see what is being changed and see the known issues and workarounds?

I have a developer account, so as far as I am concerned, the issue is moot. But overall, it's just a strange arrangement.

You are absolutely correct. I wish Apple would post the release notes for Public Testers too, I mean the terminology is sometimes isn't 'public ready' but that is what forums like these are for, People that know the terminology could help others with the issues they are having.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
You are absolutely correct. I wish Apple would post the release notes for Public Testers too, I mean the terminology is sometimes isn't 'public ready' but that is what forums like these are for, People that know the terminology could help others with the issues they are having.

right but the word beta only has one meaning. No one who absolutely relies on every function of their phone working life or death should EVER install any beta software. Period. Nature of the beast of a beta.

You never know what it broke when fixing or adding stuff. And the wiki 9.3.1 thread mentions bluetooth issues in the very first post of list of bugs/changes too.

To people saying oh people don't know it's beta, well you have to go to BETA.apple.com to get the profile to even download the public beta.

That page is titled "Apple Beta Software Program"

The FAQ from that page say " Please note that since the public beta software has not yet been commercially released by Apple, it may contain errors or inaccuracies and may not function as well as commercially released software. Be sure to back up your Mac using Time Machine and your iOS device with iTunes before installing beta software. Install only on non-production devices that are not business critical. We strongly recommend installing on a secondary system or device, or on a secondary partition on your Mac."

It's called a "Public Beta"

There should be absolutely positively no doubt that this software is beta, even if the word public is attached to it. By nature and by the terms not everything will work right. Go back to 9.2.1 then if its an issue.

Last edited:

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
right but the word beta only has one meaning. No one who absolutely relies on every function of their phone working life or death should EVER install any beta software. Period. Nature of the beast of a beta.

You never know what it broke when fixing or adding stuff. And the wiki 9.3.1 thread mentions bluetooth issues in the very first post of list of bugs/changes too.

To people saying oh people don't know it's beta, well you have to go to BETA.apple.com to get the profile to even download the public beta.

That page is titled "Apple Beta Software Program"

The FAQ from that page say " Please note that since the public beta software has not yet been commercially released by Apple, it may contain errors or inaccuracies and may not function as well as commercially released software. Be sure to back up your Mac using Time Machine and your iOS device with iTunes before installing beta software. Install only on non-production devices that are not business critical. We strongly recommend installing on a secondary system or device, or on a secondary partition on your Mac."

It's called a "Public Beta"

There should be absolutely positively no doubt that this software is beta, even if the word public is attached to it. By nature and by the terms not everything will work right. Go back to 9.2.1 then if its an issue.
The problem is that the majority of users that install betas are not beta testers, they just have to have the latest and greatest. Most beta testers understand and accept that there will be issues with betas, especially "first release" betas, and check the release notes or the wiki, to determine what the issues are before blindly downloading and installing.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
The problem is that the majority of users that install betas are not beta testers, they just have to have the latest and greatest. Most beta testers understand and accept that there will be issues with betas, especially "first release" betas, and check the release notes or the wiki, to determine what the issues are before blindly downloading and installing.

I understand, but issues like this thread shouldn't come as a shock and even exist. Bluetooth issues are reported known bugs.

They exist because unqualified people are installing the newest and greatest beta.

Reactions: JamesMB

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I understand, but issues like this thread shouldn't come as a shock and even exist. Bluetooth issues are reported known bugs.

They exist because unqualified people are installing the newest and greatest beta.
Exactly!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No worries with BT on either my Mazda MX-5 or my wife's 2015 Nissan Altima. Connects every time, and works exactly as expected.

With that said, this is a beta release, and things could change with the next update.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
The main issue I've noticed is with my Bluetooth headset. Calls work fine, but if I press the power button on my iPhone, it disconnects the call. No idea why.

I can't recreate the issue on my iPad Air though.

I have the same issue and the reason is that although the iPhone can send audio to the Bluetooth device, it does not detect it as an AirPlay source and so treats the call as if no headset was connected. When you press the power button the call is killed just like it would be if you were on the phone normally.

MKouto

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016
Porto,Portugal
Hi,

I have the same problem, iOS9.3 beta on my iPhone 6S plus doesn't connect to my garmin Fenix 3 (I´m using Garmin Fenix3 6.63 beta)

I made the upgrade to beta 9.3 with my fenix paired, today with the iphone screen turned off and bluetooth on, I turned the bluetooth on my fenix off and on, and he connected to iphone fine, and I started receiving messages on my fenix!!! but if the iphone disconnects from the garmin I have to turn off and on again the bluetooth on garmin with the iphone screen off!!! Strange but it works for me!!!

I hope that works for you too, until apple fix the problem.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Still having issues on beta 3. My car connects ok and plays music, but calls seem to be automatically routed to the iPhone earpiece instead of the car.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Still having issues on beta 3. My car connects ok and plays music, but calls seem to be automatically routed to the iPhone earpiece instead of the car.
If I answer from my phone screen this happens but if I answer on my cars touch screen it routes correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.