Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Fired off the 12.7.4 update on sig setup and looked away.. came back and it’s dead. Messed up SSD I think.. no warnings at all.. reseated SSD. No change. Boots to an old grub EFI part I used to use when dual booting Linux mint.. MacOS totally gone..booted to internet recovery I think and tried to erase disk..failed..had this drive over 5 years never failed..no issues ever…it’s dead Jim.. thoughts?

AudiHeel

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
Carolina
Your post is way over my head, but I was on 12.7.3 and upgraded to 12.7.4 today without issue on my M1Air. It took maybe 10 minutes.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Your post is way over my head, but I was on 12.7.3 and upgraded to 12.7.4 today without issue on my M1Air. It took maybe 10 minutes.
Yeah it was a weird one... Thanks for reply. Turns out I clicked on the wrong item in Disk Utility when trying to erase it. That worked fine once I did the right item. Fortunately I had a Time Machine backup but I broke my own backup rule and didn't do one before, so unfortunately the last one I did was Jan 13 so several weeks old. I didn't do much on it locally except some tax docs and I can get those again.. It's back up and running directly on 12.7.4. Third time doing TM restore since I've owned it/a Mac since 2018 and first time for emergency recovery. Sure wish I knew why it freaked out. Trim was enabled. SMART status was verified. No performance issues.. This ADATA has been very reliable since I bought it over 5 years ago. I think somehow the update messed it up. It totally lost the OS partitions. I've never seen that before.. Hopefully this one was just a fluke and no one else has issues with this latest update.

Reactions: Saturn007

Desert West Tech

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2021
Having a similar issue installing the macOS Monterey 12.7.4 update on a Mac mini (Late 2014; 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3). The update downloads and appears to install and restart the computer, however, the update is NOT installed and the current OS remains Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6 (21G115). I have tried three times to install the update with the same result. Any suggestions?

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Having a similar issue installing the macOS Monterey 12.7.4 update on a Mac mini (Late 2014; 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3). The update downloads and appears to install and restart the computer, however, the update is NOT installed and the current OS remains Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6 (21G115). I have tried three times to install the update with the same result. Any suggestions?
So, if it says it's still on 12.6, I would try and figure out where the download is stored and delete it if that's a possibility, and do it again... I did a quick search and I don't know if that's even a possibility.. Sorry I don't know more.. Before you attempt anything you should make sure you have a good backup somehow in case you have to do what I did..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.