Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
What I'm really waiting for is sony to make a camera with a Full Frame as it would really benefit me for landscape shots. It will affect people but I'm just waiting for cameras in the Prosumer lineup to get Full Frame Sensors. I wouldn't buy another Camera unless it was Full Frame.

I'm with you, 100%. My next camera will be FF. I'm happy to wait a few years and pick up a used 5D or 5DmkII (or whatever it's called).

But I'm not sure that the prosumer line will ever go to FF as the norm; it just doesn't make financial sense, unless people (a) suddenly become willing to pay more for a prosumer camera or (b) the demand for dSLR skyrockets, even over today's demand which is pretty high.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I'm with you, 100%. My next camera will be FF. I'm happy to wait a few years and pick up a used 5D or 5DmkII (or whatever it's called).

But I'm not sure that the prosumer line will ever go to FF as the norm; it just doesn't make financial sense, unless people (a) suddenly become willing to pay more for a prosumer camera or (b) the demand for dSLR skyrockets, even over today's demand which is pretty high.

I'm not saying it would have to be the Norm just make some better options for people willing to spend a little more. I think around $2000 would be pretty good. even $2500!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Then I stand corrected re: the release schedule. We can debate the role of the D300 in this, however.

They wouldn't be shortening the lifecycle of a small market product to only 12 months if they didn't experience heavy pressure.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Someone walking in to a camera shop, who is willing to spend >$1000 on a mid-range (not even basic) dSLR is not also thinking "but wait, for 1/3 the money, I can get a P&S with better specs...man, this dSLR thing is a scam!"

Perhaps it works that way when you think of it the other way round (i.e. P&S buyers thinking that dSLRs are a rip-off because they cost 3x the price for the same number of pixels), but I cannot conceive of any potential 40D buyers doing the reverse.

I think you'd be surprised. I meet a ton of Canon Folks who think they are going to get a better image by default because they used a Canon. And I know a lot of people who own DSLR's because of the self-image they want to put out there, not because they are passionate about photography. They more often than not, have no real idea about what they just put $1000.00 plus into. All I have to do is joke that my K10D has 10 megapixels and it's two years old, and they get all defensive and weird, it freaks them out that their camera doesn't have the highest resolution out there.

SLC

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Great... another crop body.....
Where's that darn 5D update... :(

The most current 'romored announcment date' is next week: IIRC, August 26th. The only fly in this oinment is that there's also rumblings about maybe Canon holding of until Sony reveals its cards with their 25MP camera.

This wait has been a killer.

For rumors of specs, the most current one is probably this thread on Dpreview...

...but having been following the 5D rumors for nearly a year now, the bottom line that I've personally come to is that Canon seems to have been doing a very good job at keeping anything from leaking that can be accepted as reliable information.

What I mean by this statement is that there have been several sets of 'leaked' specs (and names), but the reliability of the source was questionable, so they've generally not been believed to be real...but invariably, a few of them will be close enough, either because they were real leaks, or simply lucky guesses.

As such, I don't know what to expect. There have been marks all over the walls, from the 5D being replaced with two FF cameras, to maybe not, to specific names (3D, 6D, 7D ... three names for two replacements?), etc.

In terms of hardware specs, the claims are broad: 12MP-16.7MP-18MP-21.1MP. We're simply going to have to wait for it.

The best quality word seems to be this:

Some people at various retail outlets keep saying September 30, 2008 is the last day the 5D is listed as "in stock". If we go by that logic, there should be availability around the same time. It could be limited, but do expect it to be around around the beginning of October.

And of course, there have been some people with warped senses of humor that are now pulling our leg, just for the fun of it. One area used for new product spying are bar code registrations, and spotted last week was this supposedly incredible new canon L lens that is obviously a hoax.

50D:

They wouldn't be shortening the lifecycle of a small market product to only 12 months if they didn't experience heavy pressure.

Current rumor is that the 40D will continue on for some time after the 50D gets introduced...its supposedly "safe through Christmas".

This suggests to me excess 40D inventory and price pressure competition from Nikon & Sony - the likely strategy will be to keep the 50D at the higher price point and try to compete on price with a fire sale on the 40D.

-hh

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Canon always keep selling the old model for quite some time after the successor is introduced. There's nothing new there.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
It's silly season for Canon again. The bi annual event of guess what cameras will be release come August and January of each year.

Anyway, I'd expect the 5D replacement to be announced September (3 yrs) and probably the 50D in January (18 Months).

BTW, there always seems to be a leak from Canon China.

The rumour currently is the present 5D is no longer in production.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'd much prefer to see a successor to the 5D, I'm ready to jump to FF. I'll just hold on to my 20D for when I want a 'longer' reach. Of course Canon would be planning out the 50D, it's not like they take a vacation when they announce a new body. So if some stats have indeed been leaked it's not like they haven't been holding them under wraps already for months. R&D takes some time...

But seriously, gimme the 5D. I'll have to hold off on my MacPro though :(

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the link and the round-up hh. :)
Saves me from having to read another 5D mk II speculation/rumour thread. I've read too many of those in the past. I gave up a while back.
Going by your conclusions, it appears we know about as much as the rumour mill did 12+ months ago.
Canon could give Apple a run for their money when it comes to guarding secrets.

An end of september release date sounds good enough for me though. All of my photography gear is currently in storage/transit anyway.

<snip>For rumors of specs, the most current one is probably this thread on Dpreview...

...but having been following the 5D rumors for nearly a year now, the bottom line that I've personally come to is that Canon seems to have been doing a very good job at keeping anything from leaking that can be accepted as reliable information.<snip>
-hh

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
It's silly season for Canon again. The bi annual event of guess what cameras will be release come August and January of each year.

That would be semi-annual, bi-annual is every 2 years ;)

And this thread is only making me feel more justified in spending all that cash on a D300. The 40D was supposed to be the D300's biggest competition and now with the 50D all they can manage to try to one-up Nikon with is an extra 3mp and a higher ISO? It'll be unbearably grainy anyway.
My only credit for Canon goes to the 1D MkIII, but don't expect me to switch any time soon.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sounds great for a camera that will be out next year. If it's coming now or soon then great, but I think a small amount of Canon shooters will be upset that they sprung for the 40D, then this new body comes a year later.

It is a bit D300/D700 "ish." This should be the specs for the new 5D Mark II, not another cropped sensor (smaller than APS) body.

What ya reckon?
Do you think the back might resemble something like this?? :D

Fun

As

Hell! :D

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
if those are the real 50D specs then canon probably doesn't want to sell very many cameras. Its a 40D with a few very slight upgrades.
seriously who in this targeted customer base is going to use a 15 megapixel camera? I think a few pros have bought a 40D from my local a handful of occasions whereas soccer moms and soccer dads are the ones buying much more often.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Before I bought my 40D, I remember reading somewhere at a Canon photography forum that a 50D was already being developed. The rumor was that it would be introduced to the market around September, before Christmas 2008.

I do agree with you about "pressure," but not necessarily about pressure from Nikon alone, but from all camera manufacturers. Before the introduction of the D300 and D3, Canon had the upper hand in high ISO/low digital noise. In fact the 10D, 20D, and 30D where very popular astrophotography cameras. Nikon figured a way to surpass Canon, and so will Sony and other camera manufacturers. However, Canon and the rest will continue outperforming each other from year to year, since all have similar technologies and are competitors. The only thing that can give a temporary edge to a brand or the next is product quality.

Just look at what the FireFox developers has done. FireFox can be modified to look any way you want. Sometimes it looks and behaves just like Safari, and is just as stable. Explorer is hardly talked about these days, but a few years ago it was a dominant force on the Internet. As technologies evolve, the outcome is a "blend or technologies." The consumer benefits from this competition, and as such, brand loyalty decreases. The future consumer will be looking for certain product-features he or she wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.