Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
If you want to recapture that M4 shooting experience then the M8 must be the way to go - at a price!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
If you want to recapture that M4 shooting experience then the M8 must be the way to go - at a price!

You are right on that, but for some of us we would like the next best thing.

Would love Leica/Panasonic to give me something like the new Canon G7:

- Solid build quality feel.
- Optical viewfinder.
- Option for an external flash.
- Decent control options
- Somewhat "pocketable" design

Improvements on the Canon G7 design:

- Wide-angle zoom lens (24-120mm would be sweet)
- RAW support

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London

Does anyone have experience with the M8, and any of the similar film-based M-series?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Does anyone have experience with the M8, and any of the similar film-based M-series?

Thought about doing the M8 (have a M6TTL and a M3). RF shooting is a different experience for me, compared to SLR shooting. I find myself using the DOF scale much more. Using DOF to carry me through in the shooting.

When using single focal lengths (used to have the Tri-Elmar [28-35-50]), it causes me to think more when I come upon a situation, when I shoot with the M's.

I also love the "stealth" factor that RF shooting allows.

I need to take my M6TTL out more, but digital is so easy compared to film. Being able to choose the right ISO. When shooting RAW+JPEG - being able to go back to color if B&W was my first choice. Being able to see the exposure results right away.

But what is missing is the anticipation of how my choices went, while I wait for the film to be developed.

Hope these random thoughts helps.

Regards,

Chip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.