Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
thought i should add, for parties and such, you can just use a flash. a good bounce/swivel head starts around $200 (original 430ex, Sigma 500 Super). a simple bounce head is a little cheaper - $150 for the 270ex, which i think is the most expensive.

for reference, the 35mm f/2 is the cheapest of the fast, wide-angle primes, and it costs $250 new. also, you lose flexibility over working distance, depth of field, amount of light, and quality of light.

Some places dont allow for flash inside, but i havent ever really shot high school (or whatnot) sports.

And i wish there was a lens for ever occasion.... a 10-800mm f/1.8 IS , hell lets make it f/1.0..i mean it will already weigh like 80 LBS as the Canon 1200mm weighs in at 50+ lbs, but there are only 7 in existance i believe, and SI has 2 of them.....

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Some places dont allow for flash inside, but i havent ever really shot high school (or whatnot) sports.

what place allowing a party wouldn't allow flash?

you don't need to shoot sports to know what it requires, just experience shooting people indoors, without flash.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
LOL, most people at parties are not moving at the speed of a gymnast. Well at least not at the parties I've ever been to :) You need much higher shutter speeds to get sharp pictures, and therein lies the rub.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
LOL, most people at parties are not moving at the speed of a gymnast. Well at least not at the parties I've ever been to :) You need much higher shutter speeds to get sharp pictures, and therein lies the rub.

yeah, they aren't moving as fast, but they're still moving, along with all the problems that come with that. extrapolating to figure out what's required for sports isn't difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.