Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
This thread definitely degenerated into almost complete silliness.

I'm a Nikon user, but I'd be thrilled if someone handed me a Canon 5D II to use as I deem fit. I also know that Canon has a superb range of lenses to choose from, and that they revamped their lens mount in the middle of the 1980s. Nikon went in a different direction and chose to modify their existing lens mount for use with autofocus lenses. These decisions have more or less led to the same end result, so far as I can see.

As I understand it, Nikon had some trouble in the mid-1990s, before the F5 came along. The F4's autofocus was too slow for sports shooters, and so many of them migrated to Canon. Maybe I've learned that incorrectly, and I'll be glad to say so if that's the case. As it stands now, Nikon seems to be well positioned with the D3, which garners glowing reviews from just about everywhere and is well regarded by a lot of professionals.

I prefer Nikon in large part because of the menu designs and the ergonomics. I also like that it's basically just a camera company, rather than being one division in a large company.

Both Canon and Nikon have strong user communities to turn to and read from. In just about every meaningful way, they are equal. The differences come down to personal preference.

Both companies will get you where you need to go, but of course each of us has to supply the wherewithal to actually make it happen. Canon and Nikon are just the vehicles on that road. If you don't know how to drive, a car made by God isn't going to get you to your destination any faster.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I shoot Nikon because when I started, I compared the 350D and the D70s and decided that the D70s felt better in my hands. Both companies have a superb line-up of lenses, I wasn't worried at all that I'll be missing anything in that department.

My collection of Nikon lenses has grown, plus one third party lens that beat both Nikon and Canon's offerings. My buddy shoots Canon, and we never tried to destroy each other's camera. It's all about the pictures and the fun. Not the brand names. ;) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.