Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I know, not PPC and it has been asked before but never answered.

Apparently the LWK tweaks don't seem to work on SL's "current" version 5.1.10 of Safari.
Does anyone know why LWK works on 10.5 (and partly Tiger) but not on 10.6?

I known for current browsers there is ArcticFox and combined with FoxPEP it makes my early 2009 Mini fly high and fast. But there is something sexy about Safari...

CooperBox

macrumors 68000

Apparently the LWK tweaks don't seem to work on SL's "current" version 5.1.10 of Safari.

I known for current browsers there is ArcticFox and combined with FoxPEP it makes my early 2009 Mini fly high and fast. But there is something sexy about Safari...
If there's anything 'sexy' about Safari, I'll start fancying my mother-in-law......!! (Shudder the thought).
But seriously, I've never really liked Safari, and not used it for years, much preferring Firefox or another alternative on Intel Macs.
I'll leave others more educated than myself to comment on LWK in general, but to my logical mind it works on OS 10.5 'Leopard' by definition, and thus not on 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
I took a photo of my cat next to them :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c16.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If there's anything 'sexy' about Safari, I'll start fancying my mother-in-law......!! (Shudder the thought).
But seriously, I've never really liked Safari, and not used it for years, much preferring Firefox or another alternative on Intel Macs.
I'll leave others more educated than myself to comment on LWK in general, but to my logical mind it works on OS 10.5 'Leopard' by definition, and thus not on 10.6 Snow Leopard.
Agree.

I have hated and continue to hate Safari on any platform it runs on. For me, it's always been slow, hesitant to load sites, stalls often, never completes loading, cannot be customized beyond a few addons and in later versions of iOS imposes it's own will upon the user. Apple took to hiding the address bar with the website name only in later versions and it's still got that awful metal look.

I hide it in a folder on my iOS devices and use an entirely different browser. It collects dust on my Macs unless I am forced to use it for some reason. Always been garbage to me although it's interesting that the one website it seems to be able to open consistently well is apple.com.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Not the answer I expected, quite funny though :D

Compared to Safari, Firefox has a messy touch to it (may apply to your m-i-l. too :oops:):
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 17.17.33.png Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 17.19.08.png
That's what I mean by "sexy".

but to my logical mind it works on OS 10.5 'Leopard' by definition, and thus not on 10.6 Snow Leopard.
right, when using the precompiled webkit.app

But, using the scripts shouldn't be any problem as they simply copy things.
For example "update system certificates":

sudo ditto "$CURDIR/WebKit.app/Contents/Resources/Keychains" /System/Library/Keychains
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Keychains

That should work regardless of the OS you're running it on.

Or "enable advanced features":
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitFullScreenEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitAcceleratedCompositingEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitAccelerated2dCanvasEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitAcceleratedDrawingEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitCanvasUsesAcceleratedDrawing -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitWebGLEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitWebAudioEnabled -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitLargeAnimatedImageFrameCachingEnabledPreferenceKey -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitHiddenPageDOMTimerThrottlingEnabledPreferenceKey -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitHiddenPageCSSAnimationSuspensionEnabledPreferenceKey -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent -string "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/604.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.0.3 Safari/604.5.6"

Should work as well, but does nothing. The changes are written into ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist but Safari somehow ignores them:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 17.41.22.png

Reactions: Project Alice

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Okay, now it looks like a weird old Firefox, but a lot than default, thx @wicknix
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 11.25.57.png

Haven't made any progress on the Safari side though. I tried to backport plist changes, keychains and certs from a patched 10.5 install to 10.6 but it doesen't change anything.

Reactions: wicknix

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Okay, now it looks like a weird old Firefox, but a lot than default, thx @wicknix
View attachment 923204

Haven't made any progress on the Safari side though. I tried to backport plist changes, keychains and certs from a patched 10.5 install to 10.6 but it doesen't change anything.

WHOA! How did you get Office 2016 onto Snow Leopard? I've only been able to use 2011 at the highest!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
WHOA! How did you get Office 2016 onto Snow Leopard? I've only been able to use 2011 at the highest!
Possibly custom icons for Office 2011 or FoxBoxes to e.g. Office Online. Office 2016 requires Yosemite; attempts to run it on Mavericks have not been successful.

@amagichnich - If I'm wrong I apologise profusely. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: amagichnich

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021

Also looking for solution. At the moment WebKit that works on 10.5 PPC does not launch in 10.6 PPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.