Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanDiv117

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
No problem if you shutdown each time you reconnect.

Wouldn’t using the other USB C ports be easier? lol. We have like 4 of those on MBP!

So MacOS Catelina came out yesterday (official public release) and I bought the Belkin USB-C-ethernet adapter from Apple. I'm getting 1.3 Gbps down via the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor (which I just bought last week so its the most recent version) connected to my MacBook Pro 2018 and I DON'T have to shutdown my MacBook Pro each time I disconnect the USB-C cable in order to keep internet services running normally. Didn't have to download any RealTek drivers either - everything worked out of the box. Maybe Catelina fixed the issue that you guys were experiencing or did I just get extremely lucky?

_wli

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2018
So MacOS Catelina came out yesterday (official public release) and I bought the Belkin USB-C-ethernet adapter from Apple. I'm getting 1.3 Gbps down via the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor (which I just bought last week so its the most recent version) connected to my MacBook Pro 2018 and I DON'T have to shutdown my MacBook Pro each time I disconnect the USB-C cable in order to keep internet services running normally. Didn't have to download any RealTek drivers either - everything worked out of the box. Maybe Catelina fixed the issue that you guys were experiencing or did I just get extremely lucky?

Let me give it a try; but the issues was reported on the 5K monitor so it might be a little different. I will give it a try anyway.

_wli

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2018

It didn't work. Downstream speed is still capped at around 500Mbps with the 5K monitor.
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 09.09.33.png

vs directly connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 09.10.51.png

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
I'm still chugging along with a Mojave install here. Anyone definitively figure out if Catalina fixes this? I would like to plug just *one* cable into my MacBook (have been just plugging directly into MacBook to get ~1Gbps w/o restarts when reconnecting).

Reactions: Neifab

Neifab

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Hello all, just registered to say that i am in the same situation with Catalina and the 5K, was ok previously with the Realtek driver installation on Mojave, but now back to 200mb.

Edit : Just tried to install the lastest version of the drivers, didn't work at first even if the installation was sucessful. Just tried a second time, unplugged the dongle, rebooting and replugging, all good !

Last edited:

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
2,5 years later; this issue still exists. I'm using the same setup but with the latest OS (Mac OS 13, Ventura). Not sure what driver I can/should try as the website that was shared before (https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software) only has drivers up to Mac OS 10.15
That is so frustrating. I ended up solving this problem by throwing money at it and using the OWC Thunderbolt Dock thing. CalDigit makes the TS4+ as well. I had both, but ended up with the former because it was skinnier and easier to double-sided tape to the underside of my desk. Anyways, I got full gigabit ethernet speeds while using the dock thing. A shame one can't just use the LG 5K as a dock (as was promised!), but the LG UltraFine line is ultra ...not fine. What can we expect from a third party monitor solution? :/

svdv22

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
From what I understood in this and another topic it's because of a driver issue that is used in not only LG 5k, but also Apple's Studio Display. I now ordered another adapter too, one that should be good for speeds up to 2.5ghz. That shouldn't be the solution, the solution is to fix it whoever really needs to do the fixing. But it's been going on for years so it's quicker to just drop 20-40 dollars and continue with your life haha

I'll post it here if the adapter I ordered works. I should get it in the mail tomorrow

Reactions: toniwonkanobi

jst_r

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
From what I understood in this and another topic it's because of a driver issue that is used in not only LG 5k, but also Apple's Studio Display. I now ordered another adapter too, one that should be good for speeds up to 2.5ghz. That shouldn't be the solution, the solution is to fix it whoever really needs to do the fixing. But it's been going on for years so it's quicker to just drop 20-40 dollars and continue with your life haha

I'll post it here if the adapter I ordered works. I should get it in the mail tomorrow
Did the new adapter fix the issue? If so, what adapter did you get?

jst_r

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
Did the new adapter fix the issue? If so, what adapter did you get?
I'll go ahead and answer my own question for others who may stumble upon this thread. I got a new adapter and it fixed my issue. I purchased this UGREEN 2.5Gbps ethernet adapter, plugged it into the back of the LG 5K and now I get full 1Gbps throughput. I was previously trying to use a cheap Dell USB-C ethernet adapter that I got from work. So I guess the driver really is the issue. I could never find a macOS driver for that cheap Dell adapter tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.