Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think these days Dolby Vision is essential. A year ago, it was a bit of a joke - no UHD BluRay discs supporting it (and only the OPPO player that could handle it) and a few Netflix titles supporting it. Now though, most UHD streaming films use it (apart from Fox) and most big UHD Blu Ray releases feature it (e.g. Last Jedi, Marvel films etc). HDR10+ may be just as good and cheaper (not free - members still need to pay a 'joining fee'), but the only content out there is some stuff on Amazon Prime, no UHD Blu Rays yet (and probably won't be until the end of the year at the earliest) and studio support only from Fox (and Warner who also support DV). If Disney manage to complete their takeover of Fox, it could be that Fox moves over to DV leaving HDR10+ with no exclusive studio support.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Does Dolby Vision have a big impact on image quality or one won't notice any difference from HDR10?

Very few people have the resources to compare HDR10 and DV content. But here's a review where they did exactly that:
https://www.techradar.com/news/dolby-vision-is-it-worth-paying-extra-for-the-premium-hdr-format

I don't know whether that is worth it to you or not.

A couple more things to consider:
  1. There didn't use to be a lot of Dolby Vision content, but between major streaming services and Bluray discs there is now quite a bit out there.
  2. DV is an extension on an HDR core. So if there is a DV title you watch on a non-DV TV, you should still be getting HDR10.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Very few people have the resources to compare HDR10 and DV content. But here's a review where they did exactly that:
https://www.techradar.com/news/dolby-vision-is-it-worth-paying-extra-for-the-premium-hdr-format

I don't know whether that is worth it to you or not.

A couple more things to consider:
  1. There didn't use to be a lot of Dolby Vision content, but between major streaming services and Bluray discs there is now quite a bit out there.
  2. DV is an extension on an HDR core. So if there is a DV title you watch on a non-DV TV, you should still be getting HDR10.
The result of comparison will also depend on the screen capabilities. IMHO on ZD9 (Z9D in US) for example, there is no difference big enough. Or let me put it this way - after following all the buzz and furore about missing DoVi support on Sony Bravias online, I was definitely prepared to expect more.
In reality, I do not see difference I would write home about. I can only compare DoVi from aTV 4K to HDR10 from UHD-BD. For me, the double bitrate on Bluray seems to beat DoVi from aTV (60..100Mbps vs ~30Mbps).

As to 2. above - that is not entirely true. DoVi has a number of profiles, and only one out of them is the HDR10-piggybacked one, specifically created for BDA UHD Bluray spec. There are also SDR-piggybacked and not backwardly compatible at all, profiles defined.
When it comes to aTV 4K streaming, I have the impression, that they provide 3 distinct streams from their servers - SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision. At least that's what I read when I look at the media stats OSD on the aTV screen (one of the developer options).

Last edited:
Reactions: ActionableMango

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Have you ever watched anything in HDR10 on Netflix? It would be interesting to evaluate whether there is any noticeable difference between that and content in Dolby Vision. Because metadata is encoded scene-by-scene, Dolby Vision should render sharper colors/contrast than HDR10 I guess. Most HDR content on Netflix's Apple TV app is in Dolby Vision though, I don't recall a show in HDR10. One more reason to purchase an LG television. Same on iTunes movies.

Netflix supports HDR10, so if your TV does not have DV it falls back to HDR10. The different between the two is so minimal, and I would venture to say most people cannot tell a different between HDR10 and DV.

Netflix is slightly more noticeable when comparing the two side by side. On Disc you have to basically pause the scenes Frame by frame to tell a difference.

If you have a TV that supports HDR10 and not DV, I wouldn't upgrade for that reason alone.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
As to 2. above - that is not entirely true. DoVi has a number of profiles, and only one out of them is the HDR10-piggybacked one, specifically created for BDA UHD Bluray spec. There are also SDR-piggybacked and not backwardly compatible at all, profiles defined.
When it comes to aTV 4K streaming, I have the impression, that they provide 3 distinct streams from their servers - SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision. At least that's what I read when I look at the media stats OSD on the aTV screen (one of the developer options).

Good to know, thanks for the information/correction!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.