Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Is there a way to delete some of my History steps so that he History Tab is not so populated with steps etc.?
The develop module menu bar: Develop>Clear History. This will clear the entire editing history of the image but will not reset or change the edited image. I don't know of a way to clear only a portion of the edits.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this as the edit information takes-up very little storage space compared to the image itself. If it's simply to remove visual clutter, I leave the entire left side panel hidden in Develop (I rarely use it) to free-up more image space. Same with the grid view - I leave the right side panel hidden.

~ Peter

Reactions: zoran

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The develop module menu bar: Develop>Clear History. This will clear the entire editing history of the image but will not reset or change the edited image. I don't know of a way to clear only a portion of the edits.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this as the edit information takes-up very little storage space compared to the image itself. If it's simply to remove visual clutter, I leave the entire left side panel hidden in Develop (I rarely use it) to free-up more image space. Same with the grid view - I leave the right side panel hidden.

~ Peter

You can go into the History list, and at key points, select a step and then right click add snapshot. Call it something useful... This effectively bundles everything up before it into a point in time state that you can go back to.

Then when you clear the history it removes everything except the snapshots.

Then, you can go back to the snapshots and copy them to other images if you want them as a stage along the way.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont want to clear specific History states for reducing file size or any other similar reason. I just want things to be neat and tidy. If i have 40 steps of editing, but the 12th is the one that i decided that my jpg exported file should be at, then whats the use of having the rest steps from 13-40? They are of no use, therefore, they could be deleted... what do you think?

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I dont want to clear specific History states for reducing file size or any other similar reason. I just want things to be neat and tidy. If i have 40 steps of editing, but the 12th is the one that i decided that my jpg exported file should be at, then whats the use of having the rest steps from 13-40? They are of no use, therefore, they could be deleted... what do you think?

Snapshots.... See my other post

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah ok i read your post but still een by creating "snapshots" the History tab is still clogged up with steps, even when selecting the snapshots, this is a step for the History tab... so irritating! :mad:

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah ok i read your post but still een by creating "snapshots" the History tab is still clogged up with steps, even when selecting the snapshots, this is a step for the History tab... so irritating! :mad:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/lightroom-snapshots-history.html

This video is what I thought was the answer to your question. If not I am missing something sorry.

In your example, go to history, select step 12 that you applied, the image reverts to how it was at that point. Right click create snapshot call it "step 12" then click to clear history. All the clutter is gone yet you still have a version that you can export that was at the state it was in at step 12, or you can carry on doing more edits but still have that snapshot to go back to that you made at step 12? Am I being daft and not understanding the exam question? - wouldnt be the first time... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I really appreciate the help kenoh, id say things are pretty clear for me now! Many thanks :)

Reactions: kenoh

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I am also going to Lightroom. I got the Adobe book which is overly technical and cumbersome. I also got a book by Victoria Bampton called "Lightroom, the Missing FAQ." I looked at Kelby's book as well but I liked this better. One of the bonuses with Bampton's book is that when you"register" with her she will be available by email to answer Lightroom questions. Her site is lightroomqueen.com.

bidikokomu

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2018
Don't give up on Lightroom. As TheDrift mentioned, it's great when you get it. There is tons of free information around the net with some great tutorials on YouTube. Try Photography. They have a long list of great reference articles for beginners to advanced users.

Hello Cheese&Apple,

I am newbie in photography field, also have been try to learning skills for 3 months and whenever i go on google and try to search Adobe lightroom tutorials, always found photography life above the searches but i am still looking for very basic photography, Photoshop & Adobe lightroom tutorials but couldnt found, can you please any other good resource where i can from very basics. Thanks

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hello Cheese&Apple,

I am newbie in photography field, also have been try to learning skills for 3 months and whenever i go on google and try to search Adobe lightroom tutorials, always found photography life above the searches but i am still looking for very basic photography, Photoshop & Adobe lightroom tutorials but couldnt found, can you please any other good resource where i can from very basics. Thanks

Best bet is to go to youtube and search for these people to start with:

Lucy Martin
Serge Ramelli
PiXimperfect
Thomas Heaton

They do some great videos on doing something specific to your images.

Maarten Schrader is great for "edit like xyz photographer" type tutorials.

The trick is to search for what you want to achieve like "dark moody landscape" or "fine art black and white post processing" rather than "lightroom tutorial"

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Cheese&Apple

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hello Cheese&Apple,

I am newbie in photography field, ... but i am still looking for very basic photography, Photoshop & Adobe lightroom tutorials ...

Basic photography tutorials are one thing. Any and all Ps and Lr tutorials, regardless of how basic they are, assume you know basic photography to some extent. You won't learn basic photography if you concentrate only on application specific tutorials.

IMO, the best basic Lr tutorials are those by Julieanne Kost at Adobe. Consider viewing the tutorials for the older versions of Lr as well. Most of the very basic beginners info applies to all versions, even v01. Check out her site: http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

I also suggest that you stay away from the "tips & tricks" orientated tutorials until you get the basics down. Most of these will just add to the confusion/haze if you don't know the basics.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Keep at it. Good advice in this thread.

I'd like to add that I was an AVID Aperture user for years and very begrudgingly moved to Lightroom when Apple dropped the product. To be honest, I'm glad they did, and that I moved. I have grown to LOVE Lightroom. Moving from Aperture was pretty similar, but honestly, it is a much better product. Especially on the speed side.

While I'm sure there are many with larger libraries, I currently have just over 120K images. Lightroom handles it flawlessly. Everything from keywording, to image manipulation, to projects and collections. The workflow is awesome if you spend the time to learn and create one.

Keep at it and have FUN with it!!!!

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Hello Cheese&Apple,

Sorry I missed this @bidikokomu but it sounds like your question has been well answered.

~ Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.