Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Eve Smoke - HomeKit enabled smoke alarm. No bridge required.
Please could you add? Thanks.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Suggestion:

It would be helpful if in-wall outlets and switches had their own section since there are also ON-wall switches and outlet ADAPTERS mixed all together with in-wall devices, which are very different.

Reactions: Kurri

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Suggestion:

It would be helpful if in-wall outlets and switches had their own section since there are also ON-wall switches and outlet ADAPTERS mixed all together with in-wall devices, which are very different.

Do they make on wall that have 4 switches on it? Looking to start making my home "smart" but our main lighting in the kitchen is one of those switches on the wall that have 4 switches next to each other.

AJS-Mac

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
Insignia WiFi Garage Door Controller from Best Buy. A HomeKit enabled garage door controller that works with most setups with sectional garage doors.

I just installed the device and it took me less than 15 minutes. No app needed. Just setup direct in HomeKit and it seems to work great. Finally an alternative to the expensive MyQ solution from Chamberlain / LiftMaster.

MilesSmiles

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Beoplay A9mk2

09648F04-C7A8-4383-83CF-447E15E75873.jpeg 1BB61F35-9C80-477E-97D2-73B96FD6D2E2.png

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Wemo Smart Plugs are HomeKit compatible.

So Nest Hello doorbell isn't HomeKit compatible at all?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Another big thumbs up for HomeBridge.

I run my Nest Thermostat, TPLink Sockets, WeMo Sockets, Sonoff switches, Netatmo Weather & Climate, Blink Cams and my iSmart Alarm all through HomeBridge and the Home app.

What is this Homebridge you guys are speaking of? It'll make Nest products compatible with HomeKit?

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
What is this Homebridge you guys are speaking of? It'll make Nest products compatible with HomeKit?

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Yep all you need is a Raspberry Pi and a whole new world of products are HomeKit compatible.

Been using it for about 2 years now and a great product.

In this photo there is a Nest thermostat, a nest camera motion and a Xiaomi sensor on my letterbox.

f5aa4f82e44583c60d99d3c1268bd1ed.jpg

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I installed Homebridge on my Synology NAS, do you get the full features with the Nest Thermostat as if you were to use Google Assistant? This is the deciding factor on whether or not I should get the Ecobee or Nest. Since Ecobee is Homekit compatible out of the box, I'm wondering if the Nest Thermostat + Homebridge would give me the same or more features as the Ecobee.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I installed Homebridge on my Synology NAS, do you get the full features with the Nest Thermostat as if you were to use Google Assistant? This is the deciding factor on whether or not I should get the Ecobee or Nest. Since Ecobee is Homekit compatible out of the box, I'm wondering if the Nest Thermostat + Homebridge would give me the same or more features as the Ecobee.

All of the Nest features are present. Some are separated (eco mode, on/off) out as if they were separate devices, which is odd but probably because there are limits to how many features you can control from one device in HomeKit.

By the way, you do not need a raspberry pi to run Homebridge. I run mine off my iMac just fine. Just need to restart Homebridge once in awhile if another family member forgets and turns off the iMac.

Ivangf2

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
I Need an urgent a suggestion. I’m just about to buy either a HomePod or echo plus (i’m from mexico) all my enviroment is with apple, but i want to start with this intelligent house stuff

I already bought Philips hue and works fine with my iPhone. What would you recommend me?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
If you're well invested into Apple's ecosystem then this is a no brainer, obviously go with the HomePod. It's an amazing sounding speaker. Don't waste your money on Amazon Elexa or Google Home, unless you don't care about your privacy and like being spied on.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Ivangf2

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
If you're well invested into Apple's ecosystem then this is a no brainer, obviously go with the HomePod. It's an amazing sounding speaker. Don't waste your money on Amazon Elexa or Google Home, unless you don't care about your privacy and like being spied on.
Thank you, i think i’ll go with HomePod since all my enviroment is with apple. And i believe apple will improve its siri shorcuts for homepod in later OS upgrades

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I Need an urgent a suggestion. I’m just about to buy either a HomePod or echo plus (i’m from mexico) all my enviroment is with apple, but i want to start with this intelligent house stuff

I already bought Philips hue and works fine with my iPhone. What would you recommend me?

We also have an ALL APPLE device ecosystem at home, except for Echos.

All of my smart devices work with the Echo, but not all work with HomeKit. Both work with my Philips Hue lights and ECObee motion sensing light switches. Alexa can control my WeMo and Amazon wall socket switches, but Siri is clueless when it comes to those.

My basement furnace came with a commercial grade 5-yr warranteed Honeywell 9000 series WiFi enabled thermostat in Feb 2018, that works with Alexa but like the WeMo it doesn't work with Siri.

We added a Honeywell Lyric to the upstairs furnace, and that works with Siri and Alexa. But we didn't want to have to pay again to buy another Lyric for downstairs and have it installed, especially with a 1yr vs 5 yr warranty - my furnace company will come out and replace their Honewell 9000 series WiFi thermostat that they installed anytime during the 5 years of warranty. We can still set up vacation schedules and multiple sleep/wake or work/home schedules, but Siri will never be able to see it. Yet, I can ask Alexa to change the temperature and it does it.

Alexa can also answer a significant number of our knowledge, trivia, and informational questions, and Siri is often useless and suggests we look things up on our phone or computer.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Can't believe i made this post almost 5 years ago. How times flies... and what a year has 2020 been, huh? I forgot about this post but it came to mind again because i've decided to update my HomeKit home. Mostly for security cameras and contact sensors. Hopefully i'll be able to program those contact sensors for some cool automations like sick the attack drones next time a burglar sneaks into the house...

I've been using HomePods, an AppleTV, Lutron Caseta switches, PICO remotes, outlets for a good 4 years now with great success. Only qualm with Caseta is the slow response time. Hit light switch and sometimes i can count a full two seconds before lights illuminate, though most of the time response time is a half second. IMO Lutron Caseta is the most solid and complete system. A system with Hue lights can be disabled if someone hits the switches for instance. Also, my home was built 1980 and had an odd switch and light socket layout. Lutron Caseta saved me a ton by allowing me to customize a system without the need for an electrician to re-wire.

I'll be updating my system to use HomeKit Secure Video security camera. So far, i've ordered the Eufy Indoor and Aqara G2H. Tried to Eufy so far. I'm not sure how i feel about how it requires the Eufy app for certain features such as pan & tilt and software updates, if using HomeKit or not. I like HKSV because i trust Apple, i dont have the same amount of trust for a Chinese company such as Euky and Anker. Zero politics here, just my initial thought. I may or may not try the LogiTech Circle cam since its native to HomeKit out the box and doesnt require any other app, but it's priced 4 times more expensive. Guess you gotta pay to play.

Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of rambling. I'm basically typing while i think...

Last edited:

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
Is anyone using Flysocks smart plugs? Got them yesterday and they are cheaper and they work with Homekit no problem. Use them on 4 lamps. The lamps should not have touch switch.

Neil.gtis

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2021
England
Hi
Anybody used wiz smart plug having
Problems setting up to work with Siri
It works in the wiz app to switch on
With the on off button
Neil

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
So I read that Google updated all their Nest products to Matter. So the theory would be that if the new Apple TV 4K with ethernet was purchased it could be a Matter hub, and the Nest devices should work?

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Has anyone found a decent homekit water heater timer? Should be 40A, 240V.

I'm looking to replace this traditional timer but with capabilities to set different timers for weekends, holidays, vacation etc.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Has anyone found a decent homekit water heater timer? Should be 40A, 240V.

I don't think you would find any HomeKit "timers" since any scheduling or timing functions could be done via home automations. Effectively, you just need a smart-switch that you can control via HomeKit and that can also handle 40 amps @ 240 VAC. I doubt there are HomeKit devices made for such high amperage control.

If you're good with wiring.... find a relay rated with contacts that can handle 40 amps @ 240 VAC, with a 110 VAC control coil. Then use something like a Meross HomeKit smart-switch to control the relay coil via HomeKit.

The Meross switch is rated for 3 or 4 amps at 110 VAC so that's way more than enough to handle the small current load of a relay control coil.

I use a similar relay setup with 3-way smart-switches to control multiple 1,000-watt banks of floodlights with HomeKit. The Meross switches only see a fraction of an amp switching the coils, while the relays can switch the higher amperage of the floodlights.

Merry56

Suspended
Mar 29, 2023
There are various devices compatible with Apple Homekit.
  • Smart thermostats: Ecobee, Honeywell Home, Sensi
  • Sensors: Fibaro, First Alert OneLink, iHome
  • Garage door openers: Chamberlain MyQ, LiftMaster MyQ
  • Smart lighting: LIFX, Lutron, Nanoleaf, Philips Hue
  • Smart locks: August, Kwikset, Schlage, Yale
  • Security cameras: Arlo, Eufy, Somfy
  • Smart outlets: Eve, iDevices, Wemo
  • Humidifiers: De'Longhi
  • Security systems: Abode, Honeywell
  • Video doorbells: Logitech, Netatmo

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
There is finally an official HomeKit supported IR blaster available for import from Japan. It works over matter.

It can learn IR codes, expose devices via HomeKit to control on and off and thermostats controls, and supports sequences of IR commands via shortcuts. Somewhat limited, but it does work.

Nature Remo Nano

App is available in US App Store (as well as Japan).

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Not mentioned in this thread is Home Assistant, which has a bridge to HomeKit. I started with that on my Synology NAS. Recently tried HomeBridge, but that did not support all my devices and was harder to configure.
HomeAssistant has a lot of capabilities beyond bridging but is also not easy to configure.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Not mentioned in this thread is Home Assistant, which has a bridge to HomeKit. I started with that on my Synology NAS. Recently tried HomeBridge, but that did not support all my devices and was harder to configure.
HomeAssistant has a lot of capabilities beyond bridging but is also not easy to configure.

I run both.

Home Assistant is my main home hub and I have over 80 zigbee devices, various wifi devices etc all integrated into my smart home and HomeKit.

That said, I also run home bridge as I like to expose my items to HomeKit from that primarily, as then if for any reason Home Assistant goes down then at least HomeKit stays up. Most devices are available on Home Bridge, but for the others I expose from HA to HomeKit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.