Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project_studio99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
I have a youtube premium account and i often time airplay videos from my iPhone YouTube app to apple tv.

With YT premium, I can background play the YT videos and airplay it to apple tv.

Since I upgraded to ios14 and tvOS 14, every time I airplay videos to apple tv, the video stops when the iphone goes dark, into lock mode, or when i leave the app. When I tap on the screen I can see the video file and when I tab the play button the video will play but it will start from the very beginning. If i manage to have it back ground play while airplaying it to the apple tv, everytie i switch back to the youtube app, the video will be interrupted and start from beginning again.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Reactions: MHenr

MHenr

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Yep same with other subscriptions I have. I don't sub to YT Premium.
But Formula 1 and WEC live broadcasts over airplay is the same.
Phone is unusable if I'm using airplay.

MarcD73

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
Same here using my iPhone on iOS 14. I have a couple of other devices on lower than ios 14 (an iPad on the last release of iOS 12 and an iPhone 6 on iOS 13). Both of these work fine when airplaying to my Apple TV which is on TVOS14 and be locked or I can leave the YouTube app and AirPlay will continue. This says to me that it’s not the Apple TV that’s the problem but iOS 14.

UsernameRequired

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
7.6.1 update did not help.
edit: Sorry. On iOS 14.2 it is fixed. But 7.6.1 update for Apple TV did not help with the pausing the video watched on YouTube App on Apple TV. The Apple TV will crashed after this.

Tetontromper

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
I have the same issue with an iPhone 6 running iOS 12. (the most recent iOS Apple allows on iPhone 6). With TCL Roku TV. Clearly an issue with the iPhone, not the tv. Seems to be triggered by screen dimming well before auto lock kicks in. It doesn’t happen if I touch the iPhone screen every couple minutes to keep the phone screen lit. Anyone know a better solution?

miksu

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
I have observed this same problem. Have found a solution which helps when i play back stuff. You have to go First to the Control Center of your phone and manage there the AirPlay. Its a smal icon at the video/Audio part of the Control Center. But This has to be done before starting The video.

louiscavalcante

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2021
I have a youtube premium account and i often time airplay videos from my iPhone YouTube app to apple tv.

With YT premium, I can background play the YT videos and airplay it to apple tv.

Since I upgraded to ios14 and tvOS 14, every time I airplay videos to apple tv, the video stops when the iphone goes dark, into lock mode, or when i leave the app. When I tap on the screen I can see the video file and when I tab the play button the video will play but it will start from the very beginning. If i manage to have it back ground play while airplaying it to the apple tv, everytie i switch back to the youtube app, the video will be interrupted and start from beginning again.

Has anyone run into the same problem?
To Fix this issue go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff > Automatically AirPlay to TVs > Change it to Never.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
This didn’t work for me and is still an issue. I’m sure there’s some random setting I’m missing. I think never having the screen go to sleep may be a fix, but it can’t be set to do that just for Airplay. Changing a setting on and off just to have uninterrupted streaming is a hastle. There should be an easy and clear solution to this in the Airplay settings. My Automatically AirPlay is always set to Never. Sometimes it works, but most often the stream cuts when the phone goes to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.