Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
Nice! I just ran the same test on my 5.5 Mac Pro 12-core (2x 6-core) 3,46Ghz.
I got 110 Tracks, so this is a nice improvement!

Really like to see what 8-core and 12-cores are doing as I am opting for a 12-core new Mac Pro.

Here is the video showing 309.

Did you run Power Gadget when running the test
Curious to see what the clock was doing.

I've also run Cinebench:

80288714_2250021835297744_153925533330046976_o.jpg

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Lol you’ve no idea...each channel can only use 1 core, and while each core can have multiple threads it isn’t possible to split that thread across multi cores, that’s why even with the maxed out Mac you have to distribute a channel strip if it has a lot of CPU intensive plugins...ram helps, faster cpu helps but that’s it, trying telling your statement to someone who has spent the last decade or so complaining about a CPU overload on a single core spike when trying to play a large Kontakt or Play multi instrument. Kid..

as an Apple Certified Pro in LPX and someone who has likely provided Content for the libraries you use I may have more of an idea that you presume. each channel uses a single core only when you have it armed, otherwise it will distribute amongst multi cores. On VI Control we’ve been able to arm a single Logic channel with 10 sonokinetic minimals and trigger them all at once on the new MP with little spikes.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

VJNeumann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Hi friends, on my coming 16core Mac Pro 2019 i would like to use tons of samples like from Eastwest- or VSL-library. its about 5 Tb. Which storage would be perfect for it? Is an external Thunderbolt Raid-system fast enough or do i need an internal SSD?

It's been a few years since I last reorganized my library, but I seem to recall researching this and finding that the read/write speed of virtual instrument libraries hits a break point pretty early, beyond which you're gaining nothing, meaning SSD has no real world performance upside.

So yeah, if you need terabytes of library storage then going with a big 7200rpm HDD stack is still considered fine, even preferable.

If you're really worried, you could try pulling a few of your heavy-hitting libraries onto your internal drive (like your most-used VSL libraries, which tend to be bigger than EW, at least that I've seen). But honestly, I don't think it's likely you'd ever actually hit a read/write ceiling on a Raid setup.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I'd prefer a few SATA or USB3 SSDs, internal or external, for sample serving. In my 5,1, I run SSD boot, two 1TB SSDs for VI samples and another for current project files. Spinners are relegated to backup and long-term storage duties. In my case, all drives and the Mac Pro reside in a machine closet so noise is not an issue. Noise could be a problem for Paradiseapple, in which case there is another reason to stay away from HDD.

Paradiseapple

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Germany
It's been a few years since I last reorganized my library, but I seem to recall researching this and finding that the read/write speed of virtual instrument libraries hits a break point pretty early, beyond which you're gaining nothing, meaning SSD has no real world performance upside.

So yeah, if you need terabytes of library storage then going with a big 7200rpm HDD stack is still considered fine, even preferable.

If you're really worried, you could try pulling a few of your heavy-hitting libraries onto your internal drive (like your most-used VSL libraries, which tend to be bigger than EW, at least that I've seen). But honestly, I don't think it's likely you'd ever actually hit a read/write ceiling on a Raid setup.
Thank you for your advice, P. So you think i will gain quite a bit by getting the 2019 Mac Pro? With an iMac early 2019 I am afraid nit to have enough fast Thunderbolt slots

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
as an Apple Certified Pro in LPX and someone who has likely provided Content for the libraries you use I may have more of an idea that you presume. each channel uses a single core only when you have it armed, otherwise it will distribute amongst multi cores. On VI Control we’ve been able to arm a single Logic channel with 10 sonokinetic minimals and trigger them all at once on the new MP with little spikes.
A certified pro! That doesn’t say a lot about the training then if you don’t know the limits of a single channel strip, you Did the presumptive post my friend! what do I know I’m just a kid!

Reactions: louisitou

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
I ran the Logic benchmark test on my 16 core nMP.

I get 309 channels but if you look at power gadget you can see the clock is pretty low.
I wonder why this is.

Anyone with an 8 or 12 core able to run this?

Bechmark Test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJO...ew?usp=sharing

Power gadget:
https://software.intel.com/file/833853/downloadQouuLmm3

Ah thank you so much for posting this I was hoping for some proper logic benchmarks to appear!

How much RAM did you go for in the 16 Core?

Shadow Puppets

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2016
Are you guys running sample libraries from internal SSD or external? I always used to run from external out fo years of habit, but these days it’s pretty safe (and probably faster) to run samples and projects off the internal drive right?

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
All my SSDs (boot, project, samples) are internal, some connected native SATA2, some via a SATA3 card.

If running PCIe SSDs, you may experience faster project load times but, once a project is opened and running, performance is unlikely to be improved over SATA SSDs.

Note that, if you wish, you can increase the portion of VI samples (what duration of the initial attack portion of each sample) that will be loaded into RAM in Kontakt. Not sure if Logic provides this function natively.

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
I currently have 160GB.

Wooof! [and thanks for the info] I was hoping to get by on 48... It's mad how few youtube vids or posts there are from logic users comparing specs/benchmarks considering how many of us have been desperate for this upgrade. Ordering mine in a couple of weeks... WIll be intersting ot see how performace improves as memory added...

dominicperry

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2020
I ran the Logic benchmark test on my 16 core nMP.

I get 309 channels but if you look at power gadget you can see the clock is pretty low.
I wonder why this is.

Anyone with an 8 or 12 core able to run this?

Bechmark Test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJO...ew?usp=sharing

Power gadget:
https://software.intel.com/file/833853/downloadQouuLmm3

If I run this on my nMP 16 core I get 180 tracks. That's a big difference. I only have 48GB of RAM but the benchmark test doesn't use much RAM. I wonder what else it can be. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.