Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Yes bluetooth of course. Latency issue for now is no. It's too early to tell. Have to test it a bit longer. There was a couple of connection drop just now though but I did reset the Bluetooth module. So let's see how it goes.

UncleMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I have been using MX Keys and MX Master 3 on my M1 over bluetooth since 11.0 - never had a single issue. Have not installed any Logitech software.

hellfried

macrumors regular
May 3, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
After updating to 11.2, the horizontal scroll, forward and backward buttons are no longer working. I have the mouse connected via Bluetooth.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Logi Options and its daemon require permissions to control certain aspects of your Mac, described specifically in the Accessibility, Input Monitoring and Bluetooth modules.

So go to System Preferences, and make sure you add Logi Options in these modules, and make sure they are checked.

I have attached some screenshots for you to follow.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 6.31.24 AM.png Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 6.31.33 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 6.32.06 AM.png

hellfried

macrumors regular
May 3, 2008
Penang, Malaysia

TszChun.Anson

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Logi Options and its daemon require permissions to control certain aspects of your Mac, described specifically in the Accessibility, Input Monitoring and Bluetooth modules.

So go to System Preferences, and make sure you add Logi Options in these modules, and make sure they are checked.

I have attached some screenshots for you to follow.

View attachment 1723832 View attachment 1723830
View attachment 1723831
Thanks for your screenshots. When I first installed the software, it didn't ask for these permissions therefore I had to manually add them back. But unfortunately this did not help reduce micro-stutters and did not solve the issue of Logi Options not automatically applying my custom settings after boot. I am still on 11.1 and going to update it in the next coming days.

TszChun.Anson

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
The fn key on my MX Keys has a very serious delay. For instance, the desktop will be shown 5 to 10 seconds after I press Fn + volume down key

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Try and reset your Bluetooth module and see if it helps. Shift-Option click (Bluetooth icon on menu bar), choose "reset the Bluetooth module".

erikotn

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
After updating to Big Sur I experienced horrible lag when connected via Bluetooth, but also when connected via the dongle.

For me the solution was extremely contra-intuitive: I've deleted the Logi Options program. Someone mentioned that solution a couple of years ago in relation to lag.

The mouse (and also my Logitech keyboard) now works fine (I haven't experienced lag in an hour).

If you delete Logi Options,you'll probably lose custom settings, but I didn't have any of those.

jyhash

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
On 11.2.3 with a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), and this still is a constant struggle with my MX Master 3. From reading about this elsewhere, I think that the majority of people are having trouble with the DPS (dots per second?) on the firmware for the mouse, and whereas the LogiOptions has been updated on the machine to the latest, it has not fixed much. Some people said that adjusting the DPS down made their Logitech Gaming Series mice play nicer with the new OS, however, those of us with the MX Master 3 do not have that luxury (oddly enough). I want to make sure that all criteria for testing from previous "solutions" have been performed and made clear so I don't have other users in this thread claiming my issues are "impossible".

Here are my testing criteria:

• Connecting the MX Master 3 to BT, the mouse will work ok for about 3-5 seconds of a long swipe of the hand, but then it hangs up towards the end, starts to stutter, and then lags. The mouse functions, but is barely useable.
  • Connecting it to the RF Transmitter dongle and disabling the BT does similarly, yet it varies from "not as bad" to "slightly worse".
  • Trying a different Logitech mouse that uses a dongle (my older "Performance MX"), and it is smooth as butter always, but only on the dongle (as it doesn't have BT).
  • Trying the two mice attached to the same dongle: the Performance MX works flawlessly, the MX Master 3 has the same stuttering problems as it does on BT or on the Dongle alone.
  • I have 3 Logitech dongles, and have wiped them and paired the MX Master 3 alone, and it is the same result of stuttering/lagging each time, so I doubt it is the single dongle itself having issues.
  • None of my other Logitech products have an issue with dongle or BT, which is odd since they are older units (both my Performance MX mouse and Logitech K811 BT Keyboard, both of which are from 2017, have no problems with either of their connections).
  • I am using a Thunderbolt 3 dock for a central hub at my desktop. I have one made by CalDigit and one made by Anker (one at home, one at my office), and they both work equally well. This is the unit that I am plugging the dongles into as it has native USB-A ports. I have tried all 4 ports on both docks with a similar lack of success.
  • This still occurs if I use a conversion (USB-C male form factor to USB-A female form factor) dongle connected directly into the Mac. As Logitech does not offer a USB-C dongle, this is the best that I can muster in regards to "connecting directly to the machine".
  • I have manually reset the BT adapter on my Macbook Pro (via the SHIFT+OPT+Click menu) and the attached plist's numerous times, with no resolution being yielded from those changes or resets.
  • This occurs when there are no other Macs or Logitech devices around to possibly interfere with the MX Master 3's signal.
I do however have a unique setup that may be affecting the outcome of this setup. Here are those possible interference points, but some are doubtful:
  • I am using a Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard on BT, with Karabiner-Elements running the key switches for CMD↔︎ALT and ALT/OPT↔︎WIN and F1-F12 Keys. It seems to work fine with no interference. It's a bit of a pain to pair with the computer, but that was an issue before Big Sur was released.
  • I am using a number of other BT devices on occasion, most with no issue: Airpods Pro Headphones, Beats 2 Studio Wireless Headphones, and an Apple Watch 5. The lagging of the mouse occurs independently of these devices being connected.
So I'm not sure who has the real problem here: The Mouse and its firmware, or the OS and its inability to manage certain mice and their firmware capably. I'm going to bet it's a mix of the two, however, I am disappointed that a universal fix has not been found and implemented now 6 months into the new OS'es deployment, by either Apple or Logitech.

I have not wiped the computer and started from scratch yet, which I'm not even sure if it'd help or not, but I definitely feel like I have tested all the variables to the best of my ability without having to fully nuke and repave the machine.

Last edited:

incriminati

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
On 11.2.3 with a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), and this still is a constant struggle with my MX Master 3. From reading about this elsewhere, I think that the majority of people are having trouble with the DPS (dots per second?) on the firmware for the mouse, and whereas the LogiOptions has been updated on the machine to the latest, it has not fixed much. Some people said that adjusting the DPS down made their Logitech Gaming Series mice play nicer with the new OS, however, those of us with the MX Master 3 do not have that luxury (oddly enough). I want to make sure that all criteria for testing from previous "solutions" have been performed and made clear so I don't have other users in this thread claiming my issues are "impossible".

Here are my testing criteria:

• Connecting the MX Master 3 to BT, the mouse will work ok for about 3-5 seconds of a long swipe of the hand, but then it hangs up towards the end, starts to stutter, and then lags.
  • Connecting it to the RF Transmitter dongle does similarly, yet it varies from "not as bad" to "slightly worse".
  • Trying a different Logitech mouse that uses a dongle ( my older Performance MX), and it is smooth as butter always, but only on the dongle.
  • Trying the two mice attached to the same dongle, the Performance MX works flawlessly, the MX Master 3 has the same stuttering problems as it does on BT.
  • I have 3 Logitech dongles, and have wiped them and paired the MX Master 3 alone, and it is the same result of stuttering/lagging each time, so I doubt it is the dongle itself having issues.
  • None of my other Logitech products have an issue with dongle or BT, which is odd since they are older units (both my Performance MX mouse and Logitech K811 BT Keyboard have no problems with either of their connections).
  • I am using a Thunderbolt 3 dock for a hub at my desktop. I have one made by CalDigit and one made by Anker (one at home, one at my office), and they both work equally well. This is the unit that I am plugging the dongles into as it has native USB-A ports. I have tried all 4 with similar lack of success.
  • This still occurs if I use a conversion (USB-C male form factor to USB-A female form factor) dongle connected directly into the Mac. As Logitech does not offer a USB-C dongle, this is the best that I can muster in regards to "connecting directly to the machine".
  • I have manually reset the BT adapter on my Macbook Pro and the attached plists numerous times, with no resolution being yielded from those changes.
  • This occurs when there are no other Macs or Logitech devices around to possibly interfere with the MX Master 3's signal.
I do however have a unique setup that may be affecting the outcome of this setup. Here are those possible interference points, but some are doubtful:
  • I am using a Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard on BT, with Karabiner-Elements running the key switches for CMD↔︎ALT and ALT/OPT↔︎WIN and F1-F12 Keys. It seems to work fine with no interference.
  • I am using a number of other BT devices on occasion, most with no issue: Airpods Pro Headphones, Beats 2 Studio Wireless, and Apple Watch 5. The lagging of the mouse occurs independently of these devices being connected.
So I'm not sure who has the real problem here: The Mouse and its firmware, or the OS and its inability to manage certain mice and their firmware capably. I'm going to bet it's a mix of the two, however, I am disappointed that a universal fix has not been found and implemented now 6 months into the new OS'es deployment, by either Apple or Logitech.

I have not wiped the computer and started from scratch yet, which I'm not even sure if it'd help or not, but I definitely feel like I have tested all the variables to the best of my ability.
Let us know if you figure it out. I have a 2019 16" that I have yet to update to Big Sur due to all the issues.

I also have an Mini with M1, which is how I found this thread. The gesture button would intermittently stop doing what I programmed it to do. I did what Orpheus said to do above and it fixed it immediately!

I also wanted to let you know that if you have FileVault turned on, then your 3rd party mouse/keyboard will not work when you try to sign into Big Sur.

That's right, you will not be able to input your password or control the cursor with 3rd party BT peripherals. I thought I would tell you, because at first I didn't know if it was a Logitech thing, since they weren't working 100% out the gate. But no, it's an OS option, which I imagine is a security thing.

If you turn off FileVault they will work.

jyhash

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
Let us know if you figure it out. I have a 2019 16" that I have yet to update to Big Sur due to all the issues.

I also have an Mini with M1, which is how I found this thread. The gesture button would intermittently stop doing what I programmed it to do. I did what Orpheus said to do above and it fixed it immediately!

I also wanted to let you know that if you have FileVault turned on, then your 3rd party mouse/keyboard will not work when you try to sign into Big Sur.

That's right, you will not be able to input your password or control the cursor with 3rd party BT peripherals. I thought I would tell you, because at first I didn't know if it was a Logitech thing, since they weren't working 100% out the gate. But no, it's an OS option, which I imagine is a security thing.

If you turn off FileVault they will work.
Yeah, I'm aware of the FV2 issue, as we have to regularly roll out machines at work with FV2 enabled, and I have to interact with one, so I know the drill. I use a Microsoft Surface Ergo Sculpt keyboard and a Logitech mouse, so I know the boot-up interaction is annoying and requires human interaction on the keyboard. It is annoying, but infrequent, so though a hassle it's not my main complaint. Simply using the mouse, is.

By the by, the encryption is also hell for remote use computers as the machine no longer stays at the login screen for remoting into, but shuts down if there has been no login interaction with the login screen for that period of time. I appreciate that Apple is concerned for our security, however, this is starting to stray into Bad DRM territory with how locked down they're making the system with no options to turn those functions off. Some users are smart enough to have a locked-down data center with keycard access only for restricted personnel (like we have), and as such, it'd be nice if we'd be able to run our own security instead of having to shift our method of usage because Apple introduced a new annoying security protocol that requires human interaction.

However, my issues are not related to FV2. The Mouse still functions, it just functions more poorly than it did before the upgrade to Big Sur, which is a big step backward and what I want to fix.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I'm using the original MX Master (Got a MX 2S on order) that I've had forever. I use it with the Logitech dongle and it's been flawless through all the Big Sur betas. Only reason I am updating is, even though the MX is working fine, I've had it for a long time and afraid the battery may die????? I got the 2S for $50 bux?

I'm on a 7,1 NcMP.

Lou

Kay-bar

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Does or has anyone tried to use the MX Master 3 with 10.13.6 macOS? I just purchased the MX3 and can not upgrade past 10.13 on my laptop. What is worse is the driver software from Logitech will not run on anything below 10.14 and the old version from Logitech shows the mouse but does not reflect any of the selections when using it. In short, the interface software of Logi Options version 8.30.293 runs but does not affect or reflect any of the desired actions on 10.13.

What is worse is on the Logitech website where the software should be, it shows it is compatible with 10.13 but when it is downloaded, uncompressed and launched, the alort comes up and says, it requires 10.14 to run. Tech from Logitech support is useless, either it is a long wait call back from software support which I am still waiting on or phone support actually said and I quote: "upgrade to 10.14 (which I can not do since it will not run on a 17" macbook pro) or buy a new laptop to work with your mouse"..... ((( Excuse me? Tech support says to spend $3000 to make a $100 mouse work? Are you freaking kidding me? )))

Any thoughts here on this one?

update: So apparently Logitech fixed the webpage link but the software they linked it to, still does not change the way the mouse operates....wow

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.