Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Having shot sports, and even for informal portraits, I've found it useful to hit bursts, especially when my old EOS A2 gave me 5 fps easy. But on a capable camera that's just one of the tools to use, not a way to avoid thinking about your shot and just blasting away. So, obviously there are scenarios, depending on the photographer and subject where it's perfectly the right thing to do. I have found that 3 fps and slower cameras leave me missing more shots than just anticipating, and nailing the shot, mainly in fast paced action. So no technique is perfect by itself. Practice is the key, IMHO. Know your camera, and what it can do by pushing its performance boundaries. Experiment, know your limitations, and maximize your chances to make a great shot. Just my $0.02..

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
You must be ruthless .. weed out everything that is not good.
Digital cameras are a great way to learn as it doesn't cost you anything.
Your technique will improve as you learn from your mistakes ... :)
In the mean-time enjoy.

I have always been told that the difference between a good photogrpaher and an amateur is that the good photographer throws out all the bad pictures.

k3nx

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
Sounds fun and I can't wait until I can finally get my dslr. I have a point-n-shoot and I enjoy taking pictures of just about anything. It stays in my pocket and I take it with me everywhere.

I've been known to shoot 125-150 shots of just "nothing". I figure I'm learning the settings of the camera. How to hold still so there's no jiggle and learning what composition I like best.

Slow down - I'd hope not.

Agreed - play with the kids. My grandma was a shutterbug and we all remember he taking pictures. There are a few other memories, but that's about it.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Breath out, then roll your finger over the shutter. If your body doesn't have to tense muscles holding your breath in, you'll be steadier.

adding to this...breath in, then let half your breath out, then slowly squeeze/press the shutter. like shooting a rifle if you've ever done that.

let the camera 'fire' itself, but steady breaths make all the difference....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.