Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Tripods are a must, MLU (mirror lock up) and a cable release are also ideal.

MLU is not needed for exposures longer than ~2 seconds, or faster than ~1/15 (though it doesn't hurt). a sturdy tripod will be needed for any long exposure. don't cheap out on your tripod.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
what is mirror lock up? i've always heard about it, but don't know how it works???

but yes, don't cheap out on a tripod, i've tried some long exposures during the day and ND filter is great!

but the tripod, you want it to be sturdy, very sturdy. and a release cable, or a wireless remote will do just fine.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
what is mirror lock up? i've always heard about it, but don't know how it works???

When you're using a tripod your number one concern is having no vibrations. That's why you're using it in the first place. Every time you look through the viewfinder and take a photo there is a lot of mechanical movement that happens inside the camera. There is a mirror inside the camera body that guides the light that comes through the lens to the viewfinder. This mirror has to move out of the way and let the light hit the sensor. The mirror has mass and thus its movement introduces vibrations in the camera. Which you want to avoid. No matter how sturdy your tripod is. What mirror lock up does is move the mirror out of the way a few seconds before taking the photo. This way all the vibrations that the mirror causes die out by the time the photo is taken.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
When you're using a tripod your number one concern is having no vibrations. That's why you're using it in the first place. Every time you look through the viewfinder and take a photo there is a lot of mechanical movement that happens inside the camera. There is a mirror inside the camera body that guides the light that comes through the lens to the viewfinder. This mirror has to move out of the way and let the light hit the sensor. The mirror has mass and thus its movement introduces vibrations in the camera. Which you want to avoid. No matter how sturdy your tripod is. What mirror lock up does is move the mirror out of the way a few seconds before taking the photo. This way all the vibrations that the mirror causes die out by the time the photo is taken.

ahhhh, i seee. now has is that activated? does everybody usually use that? i just always ahve my camera on a 2 second delay and click my wireless remote to activate the shutter.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I only use it if i am doing long exposures. It is critical on night photography, you don't want the mirror flapping around.

Not all bodies have MLU. I know the rebel XSi has it, don't know if the XS has it. It is located under the custom functions. On the XSi is is CF 11. Cable release is also very helpful. When doing night photography, remember to cover your viewfinder with either your hand or camera strap. Stray light can enter through the viewfinder.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

the mirror inside the camera, which allows you to see through the lens, must raise quickly in order for the camera to make an exposure. the vibration from the mirror hitting the top of the chamber is significant enough to affect exposures less than 1/30s. after about 2s, the vibration becomes increasingly insignificant because it is very short relative to the total exposure time.

when using MLU, the camera should be on a tripod and the shutter should be released using the self-timer or a remote release. releasing the shutter using the shutter button would defeat the purpose of MLU because the act of pressing the shutter introduces vibration.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
the mirror inside the camera, which allows you to see through the lens, must raise quickly in order for the camera to make an exposure. the vibration from the mirror hitting the top of the chamber is significant enough to affect exposures less than 1/30s. after about 2s, the vibration becomes increasingly insignificant because it is very short relative to the total exposure time.

when using MLU, the camera should be on a tripod and the shutter should be released using the self-timer or a remote release. releasing the shutter using the shutter button would defeat the purpose of MLU because the act of pressing the shutter introduces vibration.

wow. never knew all that. i've been taking long exposure shots at like 15-30 seconds using my wireless remote with a 2sec delay. but glad to know i can do that too!

and i always wondered what that thing was around the neck strap. i didn't know it covers the viewfinder.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
While pricey (and thus not something the OP will want at this time), Singh-Ray makes a variable ND filter with a rotating front element that can provide between 2 and 8 stops. Very convenient if you find yourself using ND filters often.

Singh-Ray Vari-ND

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I have wanted one for years. I believe they are like $440 for the Vario HD and $390 for the other one. I might pick up a 4 stop B+W ND this week.

grouper

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Don't do it unless you have lots of extra money. A hood provides much more protection from a fall than any filter (you need something to crush and absorb energy, a filter can't crush much).

Check out the incredibly detrimental effect that cheap filters have on images in the following links. Cheap UV filters make all of your images look like crap. Anything that's not multi-coated should go in the garbage. Personally I use a UV filter when shooting concerts as the lens get sprayed with beer and water and I am quickly cleaning the lens 10 times a night(UV filter is also needed to complete weather sealing). The rest of the time, my UV filters stay in the bag.

Check out:
http://lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387_ucZqa/1

thanks for those links

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Thank you for all the comments, all! It's been very helpful. I have learned many things :)

--Hope to get my filters today.

mmoto

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
While pricey (and thus not something the OP will want at this time), Singh-Ray makes a variable ND filter with a rotating front element that can provide between 2 and 8 stops. Very convenient if you find yourself using ND filters often.

Singh-Ray Vari-ND

Check ebay.
You can buy Tiffen/Hoya-quality (not brand) Variable ND filters for ~$100-$140.
I just picked one up for 7D SLR video, where I want to maintain 1/50 shutter and large aperture for low depth of field 24P in bright conditions.

-Brad

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Check ebay.
You can buy Tiffen/Hoya-quality (not brand) Variable ND filters for ~$100-$140.
I just picked one up for 7D SLR video, where I want to maintain 1/50 shutter and large aperture for low depth of field 24P in bright conditions.

-Brad

well, i don't think Tiffen is in the same ballpark as B+W, Singh-Ray (well, they are in their own league) or some high end Hoyas.

I sold my Tiffens to buy better quality stuff. Ended up selling my 77mm filters (had a 2 stop ND and a Polarizer) for $25 each.

But this is just my experience.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
well, i don't think Tiffen is in the same ballpark as B+W, Singh-Ray (well, they are in their own league) or some high end Hoyas.

I sold my Tiffens to buy better quality stuff. Ended up selling my 77mm filters (had a 2 stop ND and a Polarizer) for $25 each.

I'd agree with this. And while Singh-Ray is indeed "in its own league", I have absolutely no complaints regarding my B+W ND filters - no color casts or unevenness at all. That's the usual complaint with lower-cost ND filters (Note that B+W aren't low cost by any stretch of the imagination - they're just not in Singh-Ray's price bracket).

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
that is for sure. They do have some high $100 stuff, but i wont pay more than $100 for anything other than a Singh-Ray.

I wanted to head out to the gorge or silverfalls/woodenshoe, but with this weather, i will wait until we get regular rain, lol

mmoto

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009

Of course Tiffen is not in the same league as Singh-Ray or B+W.
I was just pointing out that if the OP did not want to spend $400 on a filter there is a decent alternative for $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.