Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
ACTUAL CAMERA/LENS SUGGESTION: Used D50 + 50mm f/1.8 lens. Saves you money, teaches you how to use a camera without being distracted by uneccessary things like video and megapixels, and with a fixed lens that (1) will give you better practice in framing shots than a zoom lens and (2) has a large aperture ideal for portraits and low-light shooting.

It should be said that it only takes a small amount of self discipline to learn how to frame shots with a zoom. Just don't move the zoom ring! If you can't make the effort to learn to frame with a zoom, will you have the discipline to "zoom with your feet" when only using a prime?

Also I would say that getting a DX camera with only a 50mm prime might be too limiting in that 50mm (75mm equivalent) is a bit long for most photography. Perhaps a wider prime, but the 50mm is really more of a portrait lens on DX than a general fast prime.

Ruahrc

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
This thread has been really, really useful. Thanks a lot everyone.

A few things I'd like to point out that could be useful.

1) I am very serious about getting into nature photography in a major way. By this, I have a few things in mind - 1) general landscape stuff 2) large wildlife 3) smaller critters too. I don't expect to be able to do all of this perfectly with my first camera, of course, I just want to learn. I do have this notion of trying to create really up-close, vivid & anatomically detailed shots of things like seashells or dead insects though, call me crazy.

2) I'm interested in a host of other forms of photography too - street photography and photojournalism particularly, architectural stuff too. Again I don't expect my first camera to be able to do all this brilliantly, I just want something adequate that I can learn the ropes of different disciplines with.

3) I have no idea whether to go Nikon or Canon, and my decision will probably come down to browsing internet reviews and comparing prices. Any suggestions would be really welcome. splitpea, in reading your post on the previous page am I correct in thinking you think both brands are relatively even and have their advantages and disadvantages for nature photography?

4) Should I just start with a basic kit lense for whatever camera I buy or should I seek something different (trying to spend as little cash as possible here remember)

5) If I'm looking for a cheap-ish P&S with a good optical zoom, good video & small size, what should I consider?

Thanks again for all the help.

lenny

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I do have this notion of trying to create really up-close, vivid & anatomically detailed shots of things like seashells or dead insects though, call me crazy.

This is called macro photography. Not all lenses are capable of focusing on something that close, so you would need to look for macro capability when selecting lenses for this work.

3) I have no idea whether to go Nikon or Canon, and my decision will probably come down to browsing internet reviews and comparing prices. Any suggestions would be really welcome. splitpea, in reading your post on the previous page am I correct in thinking you think both brands are relatively even and have their advantages and disadvantages for nature photography?

I don't recall saying anything about the brands, but my opinion is that despite the holy wars both lines have equipment that's excellent for nearly all types of photography. Certainly you're unlikely to hit the limits of either line in any area any time soon.

4) Should I just start with a basic kit lense for whatever camera I buy or should I seek something different (trying to spend as little cash as possible here remember)

That's what I would recommend (the kit lens). After you've been shooting a while you'll have a better sense of what you need your lenses to do that the kit lens won't (whether that's wider angles, longer telephoto, wider apertures, closer macro focus) and be able to look for more specialized lenses.

Whatever you end up selecting, best of luck!

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I would not rule Olympus out. You can buy a dual kit lens plus camera for $499 right now at B&H. This gives you the full range of 14mm-150mm (28mm-300mm). I used to have this camera and gave it to my wife. I've taken some great shots with it. The kit lens is one of the best on the market for the price. Also, if you want to jump into doing Macro, you have a few lens to pick from, the cheapest being the super sharp 35mm f3.5. If you want a fast prime, the 25mm f2.8 just got praises from Pop Photo. I've seen both lens for under $200 each. If you decide to stick with Olympus, they have a great line of lens and cost a lot less than the Nikon or Canon equivalent. Canon and Nikon seem have always run the market, but Olympus is a great system to learn on. Can they compete with something like a D-700 or D-3. No, but that is not the Olympus market.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I would not rule Olympus out. [...] If you decide to stick with Olympus, they have a great line of lens and cost a lot less than the Nikon or Canon equivalent. Canon and Nikon seem have always run the market, but Olympus is a great system to learn on. Can they compete with something like a D-700 or D-3. No, but that is not the Olympus market.

I would have agreed with this before Olympus (and Panasonic) jumped into the Micro-Four Thirds market. Reviews state that "legacy" 4/3 lenses have a lot of trouble focusing on the new E-P1 and G1/GH1/GF1 bodies, and many don't at all. Even the new micro-4/3 lenses notoriously struggle on the E-P1.

The problem is that by pushing forward with new technology, the two companies have essentially made orphans of an entire line of lenses, giving buyers the choice between investing in a dead-end camera format (4/3) or in a relatively new one (micro-4/3) that is still working out its kinks and has an extremely limited selection of lenses designed for it.

It's nothing against Olympus, per se. Differences between image quality between camera manufacturers these days is fairly negligible, and Olympus certainly knows how to make lenses (not to mention that Panasonic/Leica lenses will probably fill in the micro-4/3 gaps that Olympus misses, in time). However, for the reasons stated above, I'd be wary of jumping onto the Olympus bandwagon, at least for now.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
This thread has been really, really useful. Thanks a lot everyone.

A few things I'd like to point out that could be useful.

1) I am very serious about getting into nature photography in a major way. By this, I have a few things in mind - 1) general landscape stuff 2) large wildlife 3) smaller critters too. I don't expect to be able to do all of this perfectly with my first camera, of course, I just want to learn. I do have this notion of trying to create really up-close, vivid & anatomically detailed shots of things like seashells or dead insects though, call me crazy.

Nikon's terminonlogy for lenses which focus close up and allow 1:1 reproduction is "Micro" in their lens names. The general photography term is "Macro." Generally if you're really serious about macro photography it'll involve a specialized lens (and those lenses are really good at close distances and generally ok to good at longer ones in terms of absolute quality- you'll likely be happy either way.) Nikon sells a 105mm, 60mm, 85mm (DX) and 200mm today, and has in the past sold other lengths.

The longer the lens the more "working distance" you have between yourself and the subject. Only the 200mm f/4 won't AF in normal/macro usage on the low-end bodies but it's expensive and not all that easy to find anyway.

Tamron also makes a *very* good 90mm macro that's arguably as good as any macro made by any manufacturer and the ones made in the last few years will focus on any Nikon body. Sigma makes some "macro" lenses, but they're generally zooms that don't do "true" macro.

Other accessories that are useful with macro are ring flashes and focusing rails- but even one of the cheesy-looking plastic bounce-around-the-lens flash attachments will give you enough light control to be useful.

Wildlife is a compromise between lens length, speed and distance to the bird or animal. It's expensive to do right, about the best compromise you can get for relatively bright light is the Sigma 50-500mm lens, though you can get ok results with something like the 70-300, you may need to work on approach skills with only 300mm.

People generally recommend wide to ultra-wide lenses for landscapes, and you can certainly go that way- though I've recently seen some really nice landscapes done on full frame with a 125mm lens- and you can stitch. I have everything from 10-400mm on DX and 20-400mm on FX and I find that I tend to like 35mm for general landscape work. Nikon has a pretty inexpensive 35mm DX prime.

2) I'm interested in a host of other forms of photography too - street photography and photojournalism particularly, architectural stuff too. Again I don't expect my first camera to be able to do all this brilliantly, I just want something adequate that I can learn the ropes of different disciplines with.

Again, it's the lenses, not the camera that makes the difference. I tend to like 20mm for architecture, but if I were to shoot it seriously, I'd be spending big money on a tilt/shift lens or (more likely) a set of bellows to correct perspective and change the focal plane. PJ can be done with pretty-much any lens- depends on how close or far away you need to be.

I shoot fine art nature. I shoot Nikon. If you're absolutely not going to rule out shooting birds and down the road can see getting a 400, 500, or 600mm prime lens (and you're looking at $4000-8000+ new for one of the big guns) then Canon is the way to go- the price differences are still in the "buy a camera body" range between them an Nikon. If you're not ever going to fork out more than ~$3000 for a lens, then the differences are pretty immaterial. Nikon's 200-400VR (~$6000) is unique in its size/image quality and would be another reason to go with the dark side.

Sigma has a 300/2.8 that's not quite the same quality, but also not quite the same price as the Canon/Nikon brands, so if you're looking at sports pick a brand and compare that to the C/N alternatives.

It depends on what your goals are. If it's to learn photography, that works, if it's to learn macro photography, a macro lens is less of a compromise than the *much cheaper* alternatives of diopters, reversing rings or extension tubes- rings and tubes are probably not going to work on "G" type Nikon lenses and newer cameras, but good-quality diopters are still relatively cheap.

5) If I'm looking for a cheap-ish P&S with a good optical zoom, good video & small size, what should I consider?

Thanks again for all the help.

lenny

Dunno, I don't do P&S cameras.

Paul

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Hi everyone,

I need to make a decision soon about what to buy, and I'm leading towards a Nikon D40 for price reasons. I've been looking principally at the Canon 20d & 30d and the Nikon d40 & d50 as they seem to be the cheapest DSLR cameras out there. There's no lense included but what does everyone think of this is as potential purchase: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nikon-D40-Digita...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item45ef9ae14d

My budget has tightened even further since I first posted, and the above sort of represents my price range (without lens). How much should I be expecting to pay for a lens?

Are there any other old model DSLR camers I should be consider in the $350-$500 price range (€200-350) (if I'm at the upper end of this I'd want a lens included)

Some other possibilities:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1259706312&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...?ie=UTF8&qid=1259706387&sr=8-1&condition=used

Any advice/suggestions?

The Canon 20d/30d seem a bit more expensive than the nikon d40 and d50, hence why I'm leaning towards the Nikons.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The Canon 20d/30d seem a bit more expensive than the nikon d40 and d50, hence why I'm leaning towards the Nikons.

The Canon 20D and 30D are in a different league than the D40 or D50. You might pay more but you're definitely getting more camera there.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with a D40 or D50, nothing at all. But with the Canon you'll get a stronger camera body, probably faster AF, certainly more AF points, and faster frame rate. That 30D was a great body at the time! I have to admit I envied it when I was shooting Pentax.

SLC

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The 1000D is ok, but not in the same league as the 20D/30D. It has fewer screens and buttons and more functions controlled by menus. That being said, if it fits your budget, it is a good place to start, you can get some great pictures with it (the kit lens if kept around f8 is actually pretty good, it just really needs a lot of light).

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Pick an entry model Canon or Nikon body and get a 50mm f1.8 lens. This will be your most flexible for learning and about the cheapest entry.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
I'm between a Canon EOS 1000D and a Nikon D40 - leaning towards the Canon because there are some reputable sellers on eBay selling it at good prices. I know I won't get to play with it first, but I can live with that for a big price saving.

And suggestions or advice based on the above?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm between a Canon EOS 1000D and a Nikon D40 - leaning towards the Canon because there are some reputable sellers on eBay selling it at good prices. I know I won't get to play with it first, but I can live with that for a big price saving.

And suggestions or advice based on the above?

D40 with the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Is that the kit lens?

No. Kit lens is 18-55. The lens Paul recommended will let in a ton more light (and actually capture really nice pictures). The 35 mm will be about 3 stops faster than the kit lens (so if you are shooting in the evening, your shutter speed can be 1/30 instead of 1/4 for example). You trade zoom for light gathering (and I suspect the 35 mm will be about double the price of the kit lens, although still relatively cheap).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you have the money to get the body AND kit lens without forgoing the 35mm, then by all means do it. If it's a choice between the kit and the 35mm, get the 35mm- you can pick up a cheap zoom when money's good again.

Each stop of light is doubling or half the light necessary for an equivalent exposure. You can shoot landscapes and people, day and night with the 35mm and start saving up for a macro or zoom.

This is the equivalent of a "standard" 50mm lens on a full-frame camera which was the only lens many people owned with their SLRs for the first 20-30 years that SLRs were available.

Paul

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks.

Based on a really quicky scan of prices though it seems that the kit lens is a fair bit cheaper - especially when packaged with the d40 - than the 35mm. Perhaps I should buy the D40 with kit and then save for the 35mm. Anyway I think to some extent my purchase will be dictated by the best deal I can find - going to ring a few camera shops today and see if they have anything cheap/ second hand. Might try to play with a couple models even if I am going to buy online, though I feel bad about doing that!

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
A local camera shop is selling a used EOS 350D for a very very good price with a 18-55MM lens.

A used 400D as well going for not too much more.

Any thoughts on these?

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
A local camera shop is selling a used EOS 350D for a very very good price with a 18-55MM lens.

A used 400D as well going for not too much more.

Any thoughts on these?

Both of those are consumer-grade cameras, but will take good pictures and be good starter cameras. The 18-55, similarly, is a decent starter lens, although not brilliant, and it won't handle low light well. The 50/1.8 is a better choice for low-light shooting or if you just want something that will be sharper and better complement a prosumer/pro level camera once you're ready to move on.

I recommend doing a bit of research about the cameras you're considering. This site has in-depth reviews of pretty much every DSLR released in the past decade.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks splitpea. The fact that I can go into the shop and try this EOS 350D is one advantage over ordering something else (a D40, EOS 1000D or 20d for example) online, plus this will come with a six month warranty.

I don't really mind if the kit lens is only okay - my birthday's just around the corner so I can always ask for another one then. :)

I just want something to learn with and that will grow with me as I learn for a couple of years - then if I'm really serious I can buy something better. Might leave work early and go play with this 350D.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Thanks splitpea. The fact that I can go into the shop and try this EOS 350D is one advantage over ordering something else (a D40, EOS 1000D or 20d for example) online, plus this will come with a six month warranty.

Good thinking. Nothing quite compares to being able to hold it in your hand, feel the camera's balance, where the controls are placed, etc.

One thing I would check for is that you can see and adjust your settings for shutter speed, aperture, and white balance using controls on the outside of the camera -- without having to go into menus at all. The first two, in particular, you'll want to be able to adjust while you compose your shot without having to take your eyes off your subject: their controls should rest under your fingers and the settings and metered exposure should be displayed in the viewfinder.

Another feature that the best DSLRs have that some of the consumer models don't is that regardless of what else you're doing with the camera (e.g. reviewing photos in memory), the moment you half-depress the shutter button it will return to shooting mode without your having to do anything else to exit the menu. Helps you get some of those time-sensitive shots.

I just want something to learn with and that will grow with me as I learn for a couple of years - then if I'm really serious I can buy something better. Might leave work early and go play with this 350D.

I think that's a great attitude. A lot of people here are pushing for the pro cameras -- and they are indeed better cameras (they have a lot more options, are built more sturdily, have easier access to some controls, and can be more forgiving with exposure), but at this stage in your learning curve you're not likely to benefit much from the difference -- or even notice a lot of the differences. Some would even say that you'll learn more from the more limited camera that will force you to get your exposure just right.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks again, my final decision is coming down to, essentially:

A new Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS bought online, but I've played with one in the store very briefly, seems fine

Secondhand EOS 20D bought online but not tested by myself

An EOS 400D that's just slightly out of my price range, so would be a financial push that I'm reluctant to make

I seem to have discounted Nikons mainly because they seem a bit more expensive for equivalent models in the places I've checked, but buying a D40 or D60 online is still a possibility.

I'm thinking I may just go with the cheapest comfortable machine I can find and spend any extra cash on accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.