Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Hi,

I am going on a Colorado trip snowboarding with my school. I have always wanted to go to America, it has been my dream and I would like a camera that would be able to plug in to a laptop and download the photos off the memory card with ease. The camera must have a memory card and must be rechargabld obviously. I currently have point and shoot and it just doesn't cut the mustard.

I don't have a big budget, only around about £200 GBP. Can anyone help?! I really want to have a decent camera for when I go away.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
for £200 your not going to get much if anything. I would stick with canon or Nikon.

I got the Canon 400D for £235 with 8gb memory card. Just a warning though, you dont get a dslr for ease of use. You will need to practice and if your shooting in RAW teach yourself a bit of post-processing (I use photoshop for RAW processing and its quite easy actually)

I would recommend shooting in RAW to get the photos your looking for, especially in the bright conditions your in, you will want to be able to have as much data in the photo to make sure you get the right exposure. hence the use of RAW.

for £200 though youd be looking at a second hand camera definitely, probably something like a 350D or similar (not sure about Nikons). but that might not be up to scratch. if you look to pay £50 or so more you will be happier I reckon.

Also it takes time to find a good deal for a second hand dslr, especially for your budget.
Good luck.

GreasySpoon.Uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Hey
Remeber that when buying an SLR you'll also need to spend out on lenses which in most cases will cost more than the SLR Body. Obviously buying second hand will be cheaper but either way buying a DSLR plus a lens or two will more than likely exceed your budget.

I suggest looking at something like the Canon Powershot G10, its classed as a "bridge" camera meaning it has more power and control than a cheap "point and shoot" but not quite as much as a DSLR. "Bridge" cameras also tend to have less shutter lag than "point and shoots" but arent as big/heavy as SLRs.

Here are some bridge cameras that you might want to look in to;
Canon Powershot G10
Nikon Coolpix P90 or L100
Fujifilm Finepix S1500
Panasonic DMC-FZ38
Sony DSC-HX1

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
For £200 you might be better served with a new, good point and shoot as you will be getting an entry-level DSLR with the kit lens which is unlikely to be very good and will have very limited zoom.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A few questions:

Have you got any DLSR or photography background or skills?
- If not I'd ask yourself the next question

How long have you got to find a good deal, learn the camera and processing then go on holiday?
- If not long I'd go with a new point and shoot
- You need to be able to use it otherwise the photos could be quite poor

Also consider if you want to carry round a big and delicate dslr or a small point and shoot and do you want to expand your equipment in the future, i.e. new lenses or bodies.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I'm looking at Canon EOS 450D digital SLR. It comes with a lense kit but I am a newbie to DSLRs. You can find it on the Amazon UK site for £497.00.

I have until March and I don't mind lugging it around. Just maybe a little worried about taking it on the slope.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm a little confused...

lol, yeh same?
if I were you I'd save about £150 and get a second hand one :)
Also you'll DEFINITELY want a lens hood shooting in such a sunny bright place. Itll reduce a lens flare from ruining your photos and give you a slightly better photo overall

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I was thinking; I have a while before I go away so I think I should splash out some more dosh on it.

What do you reckon I could do with my camera while I board?

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
well you need to work out what you want to spend and if you want a new or used one. I got a used one and its perfect, as new and is 2 years old.

If you get a new one and maybe you could spend around £450. You'd be looking at the 450D I guess.
If you wanted to get a used one, you might be able to find a 500D for about the same £450, you get more of everything then and full HD movies.

Work out what you can spend then shop around a bit. You can always try to go to your local camera shop and bargain a bit if you want a new one :p always works for me ;)

And what did you mean? Take your DSLR with you whilst your snow boarding? If you feel daring enough, the results would be awesome *with practice* The 500D could be wicked shooting HD movies too?

Also just looked one ebay and you can get a new 500D from there for like £480

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
not sure if I want to take that responsibility, I'm not a frequent ebay user and incase anything goes wrong wouldnt want to be blamed basically.

First thing I'd do though is go to a jessops or something, speak to them for a bit about the 500D and try and get them to sell it for about £530 with lens of course, then if they do get the £50 cashback from canon and there you have a new 500D from a reliable seller for £480. Sound good? Last time my mum bought a camera with me from jessops we got like £50 off and that was on a point and shoot for like £200! So I would rate your chances. Hope your good at bargaining lol.

if that doesnt work, look around on the forums market place, AVforums or talk photography they seemed to work best for me. you might be able to get it cheaper but itll probs be second hand.

Ebays probably the last option but not to say its bad.

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Also remember the memory card (8GB is probs best) and if you want a hood ebay it for £5 or so.
Remember jessops want to sell what they can, especially in the current economy so dont rush it. Maybe you can get a card with it as well for the above price

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Yeh, plus I need HD video with it too so I think it may be the best option. I'll shop around and see if I can get any deals.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Thank you for everything. Is there any sites on where I can find out the details on what things like the abbreviations mean, and the mm's on the lenses mean?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Yeh, plus I need HD video with it too so I think it may be the best option. I'll shop around and see if I can get any deals.
I don't think you can get anything that fits your budget and requirements. How about getting a (used) bridge camera until you can afford a real dslr? With a bridge camera, you can try the feel of dslrs (well, it's not the same, but it's going in the right direction).

For 200 pounds, you won't have an easy time to get something. Because even if you can manage to get a camera, you for sure need to buy a decent bag (not too expensive, you can get something for ~40 € or so, but seeing how tight your budget is, this may be a problem).

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I don't think you can get anything that fits your budget and requirements. How about getting a (used) bridge camera until you can afford a real dslr? With a bridge camera, you can try the feel of dslrs (well, it's not the same, but it's going in the right direction).

For 200 pounds, you won't have an easy time to get something. Because even if you can manage to get a camera, you for sure need to buy a decent bag (not too expensive, you can get something for ~40 € or so, but seeing how tight your budget is, this may be a problem).

Good advice, but read the rest of the thread, hes upped his budget to nearly £500 and looking at the 500D

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
What do you think it'll be like taking it on the slopes? I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea.

Sorry I have no experience or knowledge in this so I cant answer...
It seems your 'brief' has changed a bit. Basically money isnt an issue anymore pretty much but the right camera for the job is...

I've already said what I know so I cant help further.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Be aware most dSLR now don't allow transfer of pictures. Neither the Canon EOS1000D or 500D will do it - you need to read the card using a card reader.

Really, with the questions you're asking means you should be getting a point and shoot. They're easier to use, they're smaller and lighter.

I took my 1000D on holiday and it was a pain in the bum - it's like carrying half a brick with you all day.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Be aware most dSLR now don't allow transfer of pictures. Neither the Canon EOS1000D or 500D will do it - you need to read the card using a card reader.

About the first comment. My 400D lets me transfer with a usb cable using anything like adobe bridge or iPhoto or aperture or lightroom.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I meant modern dSLR, which your 400D isn't. Recent low-end Canons and Nikons don't do reliable or any picture tranmittal across USB.

Ok, I didnt know that. Would have thought they would improve and add features, not take away the USb connection lol...

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Good advice, but read the rest of the thread, hes upped his budget to nearly £500 and looking at the 500D
I wasn't sure his post implied that he had more than doubled his budget. Even with his upped budget, I don't think he can get all the equipment he needs. Most importantly, a bag is missing.

@OP
If you insist on HD video and a dslr, you don't have any choice. (All other dslrs with video capability are significantly more expensive.) And the camera that fits the profile is one you cannot (or just barely without a bag or additional anything) afford. That's not such a smart move in my opinion.

Why don't you look for a camera that does what you want, save up for it and meanwhile get a stop-gap solution (which you can sell afterwards on ebay or so)? You could get a used dslr (which don't do video), for instance, or a bridge camera. Sony's DSC-R1, for instance, features a sensor with the same size as consumer dslrs you can get today. It also features a decent zoom with a zoom range that covers 90 % of the situations. It doesn't do video, though. Other cameras of interest might be one of Fuji's bridge cameras (which have video).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.