Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
If you are considering going on the slopes with a DSLR apart from the photography kit, you also have to think about how good you are at boarding, i.e. how likely you are to land on the camera :mad:

The less likely you are to land on the camera, the better the camera can be!!!
I would recommend a good bag to carry it in though as DSLRs can be affected by the cold and most electronics do not react well to water so will not like landing in snow, even if you do not land on it.

Have a great trip :)

Azrel

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2005
I love my 500D, it's simply a SUPERB dslr camera. It really does offer everything you could need from a dslr.

The HD camera functionality is a bonus, but I wouldn't use it full time as a video camera, it doesn't focus very well basically in video mode.

have fun!

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Be aware most dSLR now don't allow transfer of pictures. Neither the Canon EOS1000D or 500D will do it - you need to read the card using a card reader.

Really?

Both cameras are listed as having a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed connection.

Page 147 on the 1000d manual might be worth reading.

Did you not bother installing the software? Or did you just assume it's plug and play and would appear as a new drive letter?

Attachments

• 1000d.png
    1000d.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 51

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I think I may buy a DSLR just for the evenings and photography while I'm out there and keep my Lumix DMC-TZ4 for on the slopes. Ok, I'll go for a camera without video.

It is between the 450D and the 1000D. Anyone help me out? :(

Grasher

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
What do you think it'll be like taking it on the slopes? I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea.

If you're reasonably competent on the board, then maybe scout out a few easier runs where there's pretty much no chance of falling over and the scenery is good in the first couple of days then take the camera with you after that. On the day you take your camera with you, make photography rather than boarding the point of the day - don't go trying any cab 1080s with it slung round your neck! If you can get up and out early the light will also be much better for photography.

Also maybe head up to the terrain park if they have one to take some shots. For obvious reasons - don't ride the features with your camera! Be aware as well that DSLRs take up a fair bit of room so you're going to need a backpack to carry it in rather than a jacket pocket. Not sure if you mind this while you're riding or not.

You also mentioned HD video: don't bother trying to film whilst you're riding - it's pretty much impossible to make it look decent, which is why snow videos are usually done using skiers to film.

Lastly, you might want to look into getting a polarising filter for your lens. This will enhance the blue of the sky and stop it getting washed out.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
A lot of rubbish included.

Claims 3 lenses, 1 is the standard kit which is fine, the other 2 are screw-in lenses to attach to the front of the kit lens. Quality of these won't be great.

The flash is just a slave flash, so when the built in one goes off it triggers this slave.

No brand UV filter, probably just a piece of glass.

Crap tripod

O.k. you get an extra battery, bag, other small bits and an 8gb memory card. It won't have a UK warranty (seller offers 3 months).

I'd personally avoid it, look at http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1020.html instead

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
That link you gave me leads to the camera with the same lense but no IS. I am pretty sure I would want a camera with IS right?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
On an 18-55mm it's not really needed (relatively short focal length, IS is more useful on long lenses). Nice option to have, but it seems the UK kit doesn't include it. You could opt for the body only and buy a better lens, but then it's costing more.

Still I would recommend a real retailer rather than Ebay. Easier to deal with if things break.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
On an 18-55mm it's not really needed (relatively short focal length, IS is more useful on long lenses). Nice option to have, but it seems the UK kit doesn't include it. You could opt for the body only and buy a better lens, but then it's costing more.

Still I would recommend a real retailer rather than Ebay. Easier to deal with if things break.

I think I'll purchase the camera that you've shown me on Amazon. I think it's time for me to save up some cash. What things will I need with the camera? Polar filter, camera bag, 8GB SDHC and a lens hood. What lens hood should I be looking for, same question for polar filter.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If it sounds too good to be true, it is most likely not true.
You get a lot of crap put in a package and it is not uncommon to list things that are included by default in the box. The lack of proper warranty is something you should think about before buying.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
If it sounds too good to be true, it is most likely not true.
You get a lot of crap put in a package and it is not uncommon to list things that are included by default in the box. The lack of proper warranty is something you should think about before buying.

I accidentally put eBay instead of Amazon on my last post. Edited, sorry about that.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Polar filter, camera bag, 8GB SDHC and a lens hood. What lens hood should I be looking for, same question for polar filter.

The Canon lens will have a lens hood available to buy from Canon (though it'll be pricey for a bit of plastic). Most people wont need the hood, but as you may be taking pictures in snow and with the sun glare it's probably a good idea.

Polar filter, too many to choose from. Probably best get one from a decent brand - I think Hoya is one that is often recommended (though i've no experience with polars ).

Memory card, lots of choice but best stick to a named brand - though avoid Ebay as there's a lot of counterfeit cards on there.

Bags, again lots of choice. What is suitable to me might not be for you. I've got a mixture of backpacks and shoulder bags.

I know I said to avoid Ebay, the one exception would be the Canon refurb store (Canon_UK1), though they've not got any DSLR's listed at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.