Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We have a house which we are putting up for sale but live elsewhere and would like to keep an eye on the boiler as we have to add water to it every 2-4 days in the winter. Is there a way to use an old iPod Touch or iPad to look at the water level remotely on demand?

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
Yes, it is possible to use an old iPod Touch or iPad to monitor the water level in your boiler remotely. Here are the steps you can take to achieve this:

1. Install a remote monitoring app on your old iPod Touch or iPad. There are many such apps available on the App Store, such as Presence, Manything, and Alfred.
  2. Place the iPod Touch or iPad near the boiler and ensure it has a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
  3. Set up the monitoring app to notify you when it detects motion or sound near the boiler. You may need to experiment with the app's sensitivity settings to ensure it only alerts you when there is something important to see.
  4. Use the monitoring app to view a live stream of the area around the boiler. This should allow you to check the water level remotely and determine whether it needs to be topped up.
  5. If the app supports it, set up automated alerts to notify you if the water level drops below a certain threshold or if there is any other issue with the boiler.
By following these steps, you should be able to monitor the water level in your boiler remotely using an old iPod Touch or iPad. Just remember to keep the device charged and ensure it has a reliable Wi-Fi connection to avoid any interruptions.

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I did find an app to do this but my sisters didn't like a third-party with access to video in the home.

One of my sisters resolved the problem by getting the boiler fixed. There was an automatic boiler filler device on the system but it wasn't working properly which meant that one of us locally (I'm an hour away) had to go down every couple of days to refill it.

I like the idea of remote monitoring but was hoping that I could use an Apple program, similar to Facetime, to do so as I do trust Apple to maintain privacy.

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
The programs I've mentioned are very secure and have an important emphasis on privacy. However, I do understand your concern and as far as I know, Apple doesn't provide such program.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Yes, it is possible to use an old iPod Touch or iPad to monitor the water level in your boiler remotely. Here are the steps you can take to achieve this:

1. Install a remote monitoring app on your old iPod Touch or iPad. There are many such apps available on the App Store, such as Presence, Manything, and Alfred.
  2. Place the iPod Touch or iPad near the boiler and ensure it has a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
  3. Set up the monitoring app to notify you when it detects motion or sound near the boiler. You may need to experiment with the app's sensitivity settings to ensure it only alerts you when there is something important to see.
  4. Use the monitoring app to view a live stream of the area around the boiler. This should allow you to check the water level remotely and determine whether it needs to be topped up.
  5. If the app supports it, set up automated alerts to notify you if the water level drops below a certain threshold or if there is any other issue with the boiler.
By following these steps, you should be able to monitor the water level in your boiler remotely using an old iPod Touch or iPad. Just remember to keep the device charged and ensure it has a reliable Wi-Fi connection to avoid any interruptions.
Did you use chatgpt for this post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.