Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
With the acquisition of a D90 and the addition of another lens, I've reached the absolute limit of what my little Tamrac Velocity 7x can handle. I'd like to get a backpack-style bag with the following criteria:

- Needs to carry D90 + 80-200mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.8D, and a 17-50mm-ish f/2.8
- Space for two small flash units, 3 or 4 filters, a charger, and spare batteries
- MacBook Pro 15" and its charger
- Offers quick access to camera
- Weather resistant or at least comes with a cover
- Has straps or some mechanism to attach a tripod for carrying
- Isn't ridiculously expensive

The LowePro Fastpack 250 meets my storage, quick-access, and inexpensive requirements, but it doesn't have any tripod attachment mechanism nor is it the slightest bit weather-proofed. I'm not going to submerge the thing, but I'd like to not worry about it in rain and carrying it on the beach. I plan on doing light hiking and would like to take this with me as my carry-on when I fly.

I've also looked at the Kata R-103 which is getting to the high end of my price range, and I also just don't care much for the configuration.

Any other suggestions?

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
As you said, Kata is more on the expensive side, but that is all I have owned (I refuse to buy cheap on something that protects my equipment). They make plenty of different bags that would fit that stuff (visit their site). I love their bags and they are made with top notch materials. Here is their website if you haven't been there: http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp?UP1=OK. You can buy their bags from Amazon, B&H, Adorama, well mostly any camera store online. They make the bags of the Israeli military. Everyone I see owns a LowePro (they make decent ones--not a knock on them), but I like something different. Plus IMO the quality is a lot better than the LowePro. Of course their are a lot of different manufacturers who make great bags besides Kata. You will get a ton of opinions on this. I'm a big fan of Kata as you can tell.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Possibly Lowepro's CompuTrekker AW. I haven't used this particular bag, but I have a bunch of Lowepro bags and have generally been happy with them. This store on Ebay sells Lowepro bags at very good prices: link. I have bought items from them in the past.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I want the exact type of bag that you want, problem is I don't think it exists.

I have the Fastpack 250 for now as even though it is not weatherproof I am fairly sure a little rain isn't going to hurt as I'm hardly going to be standing out in the pouring rain with it. I just wish Lowepro had included the weather cover with it as they have on most of their other bags, it just doesn't make sense!

The lack of the tripod mount isn't a big deal to me just now but I would like that feature there for when I eventually invest in a decent tripod.

The Kata R103/R106 come close but I just don't like the way the equipment is accessed at least with the Fastpack I can grab the camera body with the backpack still on.

The quest for the perfect bag continues...

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ That's my exact problem with the R103 also. It doesn't appear that I can sling it around and grab the camera without completely taking the whole thing off. It pretty much hits all my other criteria though, so I may just have to live with that until something better comes along. It's at the top of my list at the moment; looks like it can be had for ~$130.

I dont have a lot of experience with some of the brands out there however I do have a lot of experience with LowePro and their packs are outstanding. I have put some of their packs through hell and back and a little clean up and they look like they are still fairly new. The pack I use for my 4x5 field camera has been used extensively for over 9 years now and its still 100% functional. Some of my Lightware cases that are made of Ballistic Nylon are showing more wear than that backpack. Its really quite something. When it comes to backpacks, LowePro is the only thing ill buy.

One of the guys I share studio with swears by National Geographic bags. I have never used one but I do have access to his and he has had some of them for quite awhile and they are holding up amazingly well. Thier backpacks are actually really nice.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Take a look at the Crumpler Karachi Outpost. Pricey, but 1st class all the way. Gets great reviews. I have a smaller Crumpler bag because I don't carry as much, but would buy another if (when) I need a larger bag.

Mike

P.S. They make other (smaller) models if this is too much bag.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Take a look at the Crumpler Karachi Outpost. Pricey, but 1st class all the way.

Only problem with that one is there is no quick access to the camera.

It is almost like the camera bag manufacturers want us all to have two bags, one bag where we can carry all our stuff but not access it easily and another bag to take out just select items from our collection that has quick access.

The Fastpack series come so close they just need a rain cover and a few added straps to attach a tripod and they would be a perfect bag for me!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The LowePro Computrekker AW may be your best bet. I have it, love it, and highly recommend it. It has a rain cover, space for a 15.4" MBP and some big lenses.

Bags that have "quick access" aren't commonly bags that carry a lot of gear. Quick access bags often are smaller, and because there are extra walls to allow for standard areas (as well as quick-access ones) - there is less efficient use of space.

If you're worried about the rain, bring a big plastic bag to put over the Fastpak 250!

It is almost like the camera bag manufacturers want us all to have two bags, one bag where we can carry all our stuff but not access it easily and another bag to take out just select items from our collection that has quick access.

The Fastpack series come so close they just need a rain cover and a few added straps to attach a tripod and they would be a perfect bag for me!

You can always buy a separate cover for your pack. Just go to any hiking camping store/website and look at rain covers for back packs. I certainly would not let that one thing stop you from buyng a pack as again its something you can add to it. Most hiking backpacks come without a raincover. Its just something you buy separately in that market and those covers would work just fine on a photo backpack.

Here are a couple examples

10017563x1000198_zm

10043366x1013390_zm

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bags that have "quick access" aren't commonly bags that carry a lot of gear. Quick access bags often are smaller, and because there are extra walls to allow for standard areas (as well as quick-access ones) - there is less efficient use of space.

You're right. I don't believe there are any quick access bags that can carry a lot of gear, so he'll need to get a regular backpack.

I think the Lowepro Slingbag 300 carries quite a bit, but the padded walls are not as thick as I'd like. I have the Slingbag 200.

As for the all-weather cover, you can just buy one separately.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
What about the lowepro slingshot. The 350 AW carries a laptop, and I *think* on the non-camera access side you can get straps to tie a tripod to.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-350-AW,2117,4.htm

it is pretty pricey though. I have only tried on a SlingShot 200AW in the store and was pleasently surprised at the comfort of the single strap when loaded on the back with the hip straps it was at least as comfortable as a normal back pack.

Capacity:

1 pro DSLR with lens attached (70-200mm f/2.8), plus 5-6 additional lenses, flash, memory cards and personal accessories. Fits most 15.4" notebooks.
suggested retail is $180.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii

I would be taking the pack off my back to access the camera anyway (too old for that degree of reach around:D) and like how you access the gear from inside the back. To me, that's alot easier.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I've never tried Tenba products, but I'm somewhat interested in this myself. Anyone have experience with Tenba?

I have one of their Tripak bags for my support gear (tripod, light stands, etc.). It's fairly well made. I haven't tried their camera bags though.

This is a bit high in your price range, but they have one that's a bit cheaper too. http://www.tenba.com/products/Shootout-Medium-Sling-Bag.aspx#specifications

I've never tried Tenba products, but I'm somewhat interested in this myself. Anyone have experience with Tenba?

Actually yes I have had quite a bit of experience with Tenba and I do not recommend them. I brought a bunch of Tenba bags awhile back and had nothing but problems from them. I finally ended up selling them all and switching to Lightware cases. I never tried one of their backpacks but I cant see how those would be any different. I had problems with seams and zippers and velcro patches coming off. It was a nightmare. I dont recommend anyone go the Tenba route.

B.A.

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2007
I don't have quite as much gear as you (one body, two lenses, one flash unit), but I have also been looking to get a backpack that can carry the aforementioned gear and my MBP 15" + charger. I'll be very interested to see what you go with.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007

I've got the Adventure 9 that I use when I don't need to haul around all of my gear. The main reason I went with the Tamrac over the Lowepro was because it was bigger, and had better weather sealing (rain flaps on all the zippers). I can fit a 5D, 70-200 f/2,8L IS, 50 f/1.4, 24-70 f2.8, and a 17-40 f/4, spare battieres, two flashes, cables, 4 CF cards in individual pockets, two water bottles, filters, and strap a tripod to the back and there is still gobs of room left in the upper pocket. I only have a 14" T60, but I know for sure that it would have no problem holding a 15" MBP in the laptop comparment.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I've got the Adventure 9 that I use when I don't need to haul around all of my gear. The main reason I went with the Tamrac over the Lowepro was because it was bigger, and had better weather sealing (rain flaps on all the zippers). I can fit a 5D, 70-200 f/2,8L IS, 50 f/1.4, 24-70 f2.8, and a 17-40 f/4, spare battieres, two flashes, cables, 4 CF cards in individual pockets, two water bottles, filters, and strap a tripod to the back and there is still gobs of room left in the upper pocket. I only have a 14" T60, but I know for sure that it would have no problem holding a 15" MBP in the laptop comparment.

That'll be my next bag. :) I really like how accessible the laptop compartment is from the outside. How do you like it?

I actually owned the Crumpler Sinking Barge, but I threw it out at Sydney Airport in December. :eek: I was moving countries, so I had a lot of stuff with me. I was carrying my camera gear in the Crumpler, while my empty 35 litre backpack (flattened) that I use for uni was in my suitcase, along with a Lowepro Slingbag 200 that I filled with socks, shot glasses, one lens :)o), etc. When I tried to check in, my baggage was 10 kg overweight, and the penalty was $200 AUD. I had paid for more weight earlier, but I didn't realize they had lowered the baggage limit per bag. I didn't want to pay it, so I took my camera gear and laptop out of my 3 year old Crumpler camera backpack, threw it into the trash , and took out the backpack and Lowepro!! What a waste of a $200 backpack. The Lowepro Slingbag now carried all my camera gear, and I threw that into my backpack, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The damn Crumpler weighs around 3 kg when it's empty due to all the padding! :rolleyes:

Anyway, before I travel next time, I'll get myself a Tamrac Adventure 9.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
That'll be my next bag. :) I really like how accessible the laptop compartment is from the outside. How do you like it?

I actually owned the Crumpler Sinking Barge, but I threw it out at Sydney Airport in December. :eek: I was moving countries, so I had a lot of stuff with me. I was carrying my camera gear in the Crumpler, while my empty 35 litre backpack (flattened) that I use for uni was in my suitcase, along with a Lowepro Slingbag 200 that I filled with socks, shot glasses, one lens :)o), etc. When I tried to check in, my baggage was 10 kg overweight, and the penalty was $200 AUD. I had paid for more weight earlier, but I didn't realize they had lowered the baggage limit per bag. I didn't want to pay it, so I took my camera gear and laptop out of my 3 year old Crumpler camera backpack, threw it into the trash , and took out the backpack and Lowepro!! What a waste of a $200 backpack. The Lowepro Slingbag now carried all my camera gear, and I threw that into my backpack, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The damn Crumpler weighs around 3 kg when it's empty due to all the padding! :rolleyes:

Anyway, before I travel next time, I'll get myself a Tamrac Adventure 9.
I've been pretty happy with it so far. My biggest complaint is that sometimes I won't zip the laptop compartment zipper all the way down because it hits the reinforcement web for the shoulder strap, not the biggest deal in the world, you just have to remember to pull the strap out of the way. My other complaint is how heavy the thing can get after you fill it with all of your gear, the size just makes it too easy to fill it with 20lbs of camera and computer gear, it does do a good job of loading and distributing the weight on your back and sholders when it is loaded.

Other than that, it's a great bag. I haven't gone through a tropical storm with it, but I have gone through several good rain showers and it's kept my gear dry.

I already mentioned the oodles of space, but it is also very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, the sholder straps are well padded and have a chest buckle to keep them from slipping off your sholders. I've been carrying it for about a year now and it shows no signs of wear on the material or stressing of the stiches.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I could probably live with the LowePro except for the lack of tripod support and the fact that a couple reviews said it's very uncomfortable to wear when there's a laptop in it.

This one looks interesting, the Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85. It's an extremely similar form factor to the Lowepro Fastpack 250 with the side flap for grabbing the camera with the pack still on, maybe a little larger, and is weather resistant. It also has hooks on the bottom where you can strap a tripod (although the straps cost extra from Tamrac, I'm guessing it wouldn't be tough to rig your own).

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
http://itemlistings.ebay.com/sdcsrp...nstraints=PriceMin.Value=27&PriceMax.Value=44

This is great bag has everything you are looking for and it has 2 places for water bottles as well.

What are you, the seller? I don't try to judge things solely on price, but I doubt a $36 bag from some company I've never heard of is going to hold a candle to the established camera bag makers -- especially since a quick Googling seems to show that bag is for laptops but doesn't have anything special for cameras. More important, there's not a single picture of the interior configuration of that bag on the eBay page -- not ONE! Furthermore, a 96.7% seller rating on eBay is not very good.

That was a waste of a click. It's not even a camera bag. How does that have everything I'm looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.