Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
I'm mainly looking at the nikon d40 and d60. I don't know that much about slrs, so i would like some help. Thanks.

I know that the megapixels don't matter, but how does the image quality of the d40 compare with the d60?
The d60 currently, is about only 100 bucks more than the d40, is it worth the upgrade?

Would the d60 be more future proof than the d40?

Also I saw a deal on ebay on the d60, not sure if it's a good deal or not..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D60-Digit...0596&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299&_trkparms=240:1318

Thanks. Any more input would be nice!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Stay well away from the D60. It gives you little that the D40 doesn't also give you, but costs more. It's just a way to make you pay more.

Between the two, I'd definitely get the D40, but if you're already into photography, or planning to get into it later, I'd stay away from the D40 as well and go for something like the D80/90, or go with one of the more recent entries in Canon's Rebel series.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Stay well away from the D60. It gives you little that the D40 doesn't also give you, but costs more. It's just a way to make you pay more.

Between the two, I'd definitely get the D40, but if you're already into photography, or planning to get into it later, I'd stay away from the D40 as well and go for something like the D80/90, or go with one of the more recent entries in Canon's Rebel series.

ditto.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
d80/d90 are too expensive for me. I just want to get a easy to use dslr and then decide later on if I become more interested.

I'm looking heavily on the d40 right now. Now.. i don't really understand the difference between the lens. Which lens should I get along with a d40? pros/cons of each? 18-55, 55-200, 18-135? i think

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Well, look elsewhere other than just Nikon. I think Nikon has one of the weakest low end's these days. You could check out canon, pentax, sonly, olympus. I wouldn't buy a low end Nikon these days.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
d80/d90 are too expensive for me. I just want to get a easy to use dslr and then decide later on if I become more interested.

I'm looking heavily on the d40 right now. Now.. i don't really understand the difference between the lens. Which lens should I get along with a d40? pros/cons of each? 18-55, 55-200, 18-135? i think

In general, the larger the difference between the numbers, the lower the optical quality- but the less flexibility. I'd go with the 18-135mm if it's going to be your only lens for a while though, as it offers a lot more flexibility. The 55-200 is designed to be paired with the 18-55 in a two-lens kit, it's a bit long for "normal" shots but great for zooming in on stuff that's not close by. The two lens kit requires that you change lenses, not a bad thing (a lot of the point of an SLR) but I think sticking with a single lens at first is probably a better idea.

I'd also probably stick with the retailers stickyed at the top of this forum, as you can get ripped off trying to save a few bucks with the wrong retailer/seller.

The D40 is a great beginner camera, and the D60 has few improvements that'll make a difference in your photography. Frankly, any 6MP or better dSLR will produce excellent results if the photographer does the right stuff- and if you want new, the D40 is a great entry into shooting Nikon bodies.

Remember that with a DSLR the body also holds the "film," so you should be paying about as much attention to the "next" tier of cameras as the current one so that in 3 or so years when you're ready for a new camera you're in a place where you have the options you'll want. Canon, Nikon and Sony all offer larger sensor offerings ("Full-frame") as well as crop sensors- but Sony is new to the game having bought the failing Minolta camera company.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
mhm. i might get that.
is us1photo.. a reputable site..? it says (usa) i think that means the usa version..

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
mhm. i might get that.
is us1photo.. a reputable site..? it says (usa) i think that means the usa version..

I'm a fan of Thom's ebooks, as they tend to be good for model-specific information. Again, I'd shy away from anyone who wasn't a major retailer- either the places in the stickied topic or somewhere like Cosco/Wal-Mart... To me it's not worth the maze of places that almost sound alike who might or might not give you a deal or put together their own "kit" with stuff you need left out or charged extra for. Why go through all that when B&H, Adorama, Ritz, Berger Bros or some big chain is going to definitely give you the manufacturer kit and will clearly label US or import?

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
I used to recommend the low-end Nikons to people looking for entry-level DSLRs on the relative strength of the kit lens, but Canon's finally produced a decent kit lens to go with their latest entry-level body (Digital Rebel XS); I'd give the Canon a look as well. It's generation ahead of the D40/D60 in sensor and processor technology, and is cheaper than the D60 kit.

See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CBKJGG/

raxafarian

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
limited lenses

Remember that with both the D40 and D60 you must use a lens with a built in motor (AF/S in nikon terminology) so you can't take advantage of sometimes cheaper glass. This may or may not matter to you.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I totally agree with vga4life.
I think the Canon Rebel XS is better value than the Nikon D40/D60.
Priced roughly in between the two Nikon models, but with more features and newer technology (Not saying that the D40/D60 aren't fine cameras, though).

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Both the D40 and the D60 use Nikon's older CCD sensor technology which is quite noisy, the Canon XS offers improved dynamic range, and lower noise.

If I was getting a entry-level SLR, I would buy a XS or XTi instead of a D40 or D60...

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Remember that with both the D40 and D60 you must use a lens with a built in motor (AF/S in nikon terminology) so you can't take advantage of sometimes cheaper glass. This may or may not matter to you.

Well you can use any lens with or without in-built motors, although you just have to focus manually. While inconvenient, its actually a useful skill to learn.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I own an XS and I love it. Although I wish it has higher sensitives (but heck, I will upgrade to a better body if I want quality at higher sensitives). I finally have confidence in shooting at ISO1600 and the noise produce seem very low and the picture is very usable, and by activating high-ISO noise reduction, chroma noise is almost non existence.

I have this camera philosophy though, if the image quality at high ISO is unusable, what's the point of having it.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Another thing that may or may not be important to some people in the D40/D60 versus Rebel XS discussion is that the XS has Auto Exposure Bracketing, and the D40/D60 does not.
May be important to you later if you decide to try HDR imaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.