Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
To be honest, it's not the money. I'm sure there are some people out there with my mindset. This sounds like a great deal for a student to make money. Like you said, there must be some beginner out there who wants to practice shooting weddings.

However, you're asking someone to take photos all day, and then hand all the RAW files to you. That, and they need to have done this before. That won't happen. If someone is actively looking to be hired as a wedding photographer, they're not going to take your offer because you don't pay enough with editing/post-processing, and they will INSIST on editing. ;)

(A)For $1000, a pro photographer would laugh at you.
(B)For $1000, an inexperienced "pro" will still ask for more than $1000 and expect not to give you all the photos and sell some. You want all the photos so that you do as you wish with them --- print, reprint, super large sized prints, whatever. He won't play by your rules.
(C) For $1000, a down-right amateur student who has some photography knowledge but no experience at this sort of thing (ie: me :p ). He doesn't care if you get all the photos. I mean, who cares. He's just doing this to give it a go. :) He has no reputation, and will never have a rep because while he likes photography and knows about it, he's not doing this for a living. He's doing this because it's $1000 baby, and he's doing what he likes to do. Do what you want with the photos, and have the rights to them. What would he do with them even if he had the rights to them entirely?

You want someone like Person B for experience, but with Person C's mindset of doing this for fun and would take any job because hey, it's $1000 in the pocket. I don't think you'll find this. You're better off looking for someone like Person C right now.

Look for someone like Person C, and tell them that you'll pay him $500 to photograph the wedding, and pay him like $100 for each photograph that the couple wants printed, and then $50 for each reprint after that, in case a relative wants that same photo for him/herself.

Look for a student with photographic knowledge, but "wedding photography experience is not required." I think you might find that student. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chances are that an inexperienced student is not going to have the right gear. Shooting weddings requires more than just a camera -- it is the lenses which are key here, as well as lighting. Your basic Digital Rebel and kit lens just are not going to cut the mustard.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
Just doing a quick google search of "wedding photography prices" brought me to this link: http://www.shutterbugzphoto.com/page10.html#negs
I'm sure they could find someone local who'd be willing to photograph their wedding at a price they could afford. Maybe something like the 1140$ package with no album given but instead maybe a cd of 100 high quality jpeg's.
or looking into it further and adding austin tx to the same search came up with these guys: http://www.glaze.net/05prices.html#wed
seems like they have a $1000 package.
maybe if your friends would unmount from their high horses with they're pre-requisits, they might just be able to work with someone professional and get some real nice photos that they can cherish forever.

Serpent

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Clix Pix said:
Chances are that an inexperienced student is not going to have the right gear. Shooting weddings requires more than just a camera -- it is the lenses which are key here, as well as lighting. Your basic Digital Rebel and kit lens just are not going to cut the mustard.

I was thinking along the same lines, and from my own (in)experience, I would think that lighting would be a huge issue. Lighting is very difficult in the best of circumstances, IMO. Isn't it incredibly complicated to deal with lighting in a situation like that?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
annk said:
I was thinking along the same lines, and from my own (in)experience, I would think that lighting would be a huge issue. Lighting is very difficult in the best of circumstances, IMO. Isn't it incredibly complicated to deal with lighting in a situation like that?

I've been to few weddings where the ambient light was helpful or that would be helped by the typical inbuilt flash unit. If you're in the back, you need an external flash that can melt brass buttons or you need helpful lighting. Even when you have the wedding party alone, it's rare that inexpensive equipment will do that fancy dress justice.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Photographer Found

(Sidebar: It may have been helpful to mention that it's an outdoor wedding. Because, however, the post-wedding events are indoors, the points made here about lighting are relevant.)

As it turns out, my friends found someone by a method outside of this posting and the arrangement made was a compromise along the lines of what Cookie1105 suggested.

-Established professional photographer with acceptable portfolio and experience
-Both he and partner will shoot for the requested five hours
-Photographer will open, color balance, an crop the images to obtain 250 of the best images
-Photographer will deliver said 250 images as high-res jpegs
-Photographer will release rights for any non-commercial use to the customer
-Photographer being paid $1500

All in all, it seems an extremely generous offer on the photographer's part.

As I said in a previous post, the original list of requests by my friends was most likely somewhat flexible. A reasoned discourse on the various points and a willingness for each party to compromise resulted in a mutually agreeable arrangement between them and the photographer.

Only time will tell how the event and finished product turns out.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm glad to hear that they were able to find someone that they feel will be right for the job. I hope they have a great wedding, and that all the memories will be captured and preserved.

Cheers.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Good to hear that they have found someone willing to do the job and that there was compromise on both sides. I imagine that your input to them based on what you'd learned here was helpful so that they realized that their initial expectations were not realistic. I hope the weather is wonderful that day (outdoor wedding!) and that the wedding and reception go very smoothly for all concerned.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I'm glad your friends found someone and I hope they have a great day. It sounds like fair pay for the job. Even so, good luck to the photographer, I wouldn't want to have to deliver 250 images. His hit rate must be pretty high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.