Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I should preface this post by telling everyone that I am most definitely an amateur photographer. "Newbie" might be a better term, actually.

So, right now I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 (Google image search). I love this camera for its ability to rotate into so many strange viewing angles. I am, however, beginning to reach its technical limits. Not surprising as the poor thing is approaching 8 years of age.

I thought I was sold on upgrading to a D40 (I like Nikon a lot), but then I came across the Olympus E330 (Google image search). I see that it would allow me to achieve many (though not all) of the angles that my 990 does, and it would allow me to frame a shot with the LCD. I like this.

So, I have two questions:

1. Has anyone used the E330 and what are your thoughts?
2. Are there any other DSLRs on the market that have the same sort of function in this price range? (I'm looking at spending about $500, give or take $100-$200). I can't seem to find any others, but I don't really know what to search for.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
There's no DSLR with a pivoting LCD. In fact, you shouldn't be using the LCD to compose your shots on a DSLR.

ditto, the only closest thing you'll get is the sony alpha DSLR whose LCDs can tilt upward for viewing luxurys, but no live shots

in fact, you shouldnt be composing shots via live view,

if you want to have a powerful camera and shoot live view then i suggest getting the 'advanced PnS' cameras, they have powerful optics to take far and clean shots

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
ditto, the only closest thing you'll get is the sony alpha DSLR whose LCDs can tilt upward for viewing luxurys, but no live shots

in fact, you shouldnt be composing shots via live view,

if you want to have a powerful camera and shoot live view then i suggest getting the 'advanced PnS' cameras, they have powerful optics to take far and clean shots

I should have clarified. I realize that the viewfinder is hands down the best option for composing shots. I find exception, though, in situations where I cannot physically put my face behind the camera. Shooting from the ground up, for example (am I expected to do a head stand and use the camera upside-down?) or shooting over a crowd or wall.

I would definitely use the viewfinder for a vast majority of shots. But in a situation in which I cannot, I would like to have a second option other than pointing the camera and shooting blind.

Regarding the point and shoot... can you direct me to a PNS that has a respectable full-manual mode? I'd like to be able to set custom white balance and change iso, shutter speed, aperture, etc...

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
You could always buy a Canon EOS 5D MkII, which has Live View and video recording, but the screen doesn't tilt and swivel. You'd have to see if there's a third party mirror or something you could attach to it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I should have clarified. I realize that the viewfinder is hands down the best option for composing shots. I find exception, though, in situations where I cannot physically put my face behind the camera. Shooting from the ground up, for example

I agree 100% What you want is a right angle viewfinder attachment. It's basically a "bent tube" that attaches to the view finder. I bought one ages ago for an older film based body and with some adptors it will fit my DSLR. It is very hard to shoot ground level macros of plants without it

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Right-Angle-Viewfinder-Rectangular/dp/B0002WT6RY

You can buy older, used version of these for about $30 and then use a $5 Nikon adaptor to fet the new camera. (Older Nikons had a round viewfinder hole with internal threads, new cameras are square and take slip-on attachments.) Or buy a third party unit for a LOT less then the Nikon version.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I assumed he also wanted to shoot over crowds.

For DSLRs, there is Zigview.

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I should have clarified. I realize that the viewfinder is hands down the best option for composing shots. I find exception, though, in situations where I cannot physically put my face behind the camera. Shooting from the ground up, for example (am I expected to do a head stand and use the camera upside-down?)

Funny you should say that; I've just started reading "Understanding Exposure" (an highly recommended primer) and there is actually a shot where the author laid on his back, tilted his head back and shot upside down (it was a ground-level shot looking up at some flowers, if I recall correctly). So don't be afraid to get creative to get the shot.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I was sure I had seen a DSLR with a fully articulated live view LCD. It's the Panasonic DMC-L10:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcl10/

Right, the Panasonic G1 (see link I provided above) is essentially the successor to that camera. This is what dpreview says about it:

We strongly suspect that the L10 will be the end of Panasonic's brief foray into the standard Four Thirds System...And so we have a new system with a new lens mount and this, the G1; the world's first electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens camera.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Right, the Panasonic G1 (see link I provided above) is essentially the successor to that camera. This is what dpreview says about it:

The L10 is a DSLR, while the G1 is an EVIL and doesn't autofocus with the majority of 4/3 lenses, so it's not exactly a successor.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There's no DSLR with a pivoting LCD. In fact, you shouldn't be using the LCD to compose your shots on a DSLR.

I could not disagree more.
As the OP said in his reply, there are certain instances when you simply cannot get your face up to that viewfinder. I am reminded of the Sears Tower where there is a good 1.5 to 2' gap between you and the glass. In order to actually get a reflection-free shot you'd want to press your lens against the glass. With my F3, F4 and D70 I had never achieved composition real well. It was a mystery shot really and the D70 at least afford me the opportunity to see my mistake prior to walking away. With my D300 with live view (a camera that has live view and doesn't cost $5000 to whomever recommended that Canon above), I found it very nice to compose the shot without looking through the viewfinder.

What I think should be said is that relying on the viewfinder to compose and check metering accuracy is going to cause problems in the future as the viewfinders won't really show the true exposure. The D300 viewfinder is very bright and many shots that looked properly expose via liv eview were in fact under exposed. You have to use your meter and most of all your histogram.

vaguely-clear
As for a camera that pivots, tilts, and swivels ... you're really going to just need a point and shoot then. As others have said these types of features don't really exist on many if any DSLRs.

Someone recommended a viewfinder attachment, this is your very best bet if you shoot from the ground up a lot. Older film cameras had many of these accessories so reporters and the likes could shoot from the hip and what not.

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
First off, you guys have been a huge help. Thanks a million to all.

"Articulated!" That's the search term I was looking for.

This could be your best option, if you postprocess:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

Go with the Fuji because of your budget but I'm surprised with some people having said there is no DSLR with an articulating screen when the Olympus E3 has one.

Mmmm... maybe. I will consider it further, but If I am going to spend $500 or more I think I would settle for a DSLR that lacks the articulated screen (like a D40).

I'd recommend the Panasonic Lumix G1. It has the swivel screen you want. It's a micro four-thirds camera (so it uses interchangeable lenses and has a large sensor).

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicG1/page5.asp

I was sure I had seen a DSLR with a fully articulated live view LCD. It's the Panasonic DMC-L10:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcl10/

Both look like great options. Both a bit beyond my price range.

Funny you should say that; I've just started reading "Understanding Exposure" (an highly recommended primer) and there is actually a shot where the author laid on his back, tilted his head back and shot upside down (it was a ground-level shot looking up at some flowers, if I recall correctly). So don't be afraid to get creative to get the shot.

That's a darn good idea! Maybe I'm a bit spoiled... my 990 is the first camera I've ever really used well. Maybe I should have learned the basics with a viewfinder instead of a screen. lol.

I could not disagree more.
As the OP said in his reply, there are certain instances when you simply cannot get your face up to that viewfinder. I am reminded of the Sears Tower where there is a good 1.5 to 2' gap between you and the glass. In order to actually get a reflection-free shot you'd want to press your lens against the glass. With my F3, F4 and D70 I had never achieved composition real well. It was a mystery shot really and the D70 at least afford me the opportunity to see my mistake prior to walking away. With my D300 with live view (a camera that has live view and doesn't cost $5000 to whomever recommended that Canon above), I found it very nice to compose the shot without looking through the viewfinder.

What I think should be said is that relying on the viewfinder to compose and check metering accuracy is going to cause problems in the future as the viewfinders won't really show the true exposure. The D300 viewfinder is very bright and many shots that looked properly expose via liv eview were in fact under exposed. You have to use your meter and most of all your histogram.

vaguely-clear
As for a camera that pivots, tilts, and swivels ... you're really going to just need a point and shoot then. As others have said these types of features don't really exist on many if any DSLRs.

Someone recommended a viewfinder attachment, this is your very best bet if you shoot from the ground up a lot. Older film cameras had many of these accessories so reporters and the likes could shoot from the hip and what not.

Yeah, I don't particularly need it to pivot/tilt/swivel like the Coolpix 990. An "articulated" screen is what I was looking for, I just didn't know what to call it.

So, it would appear that if I want a DSLR with an articulated screen within this price range, the Olympus E-330 is about my only option. And it would likely have to be used (Adorama has them once and awhile). That brings me back to my earlier question, does anyone have experience or opinions on this camera?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Show where you can get a used E-3 for around $200.

But he doesn't need to go for the D40. A used E-330 costs about that price, too, even if it dowsn't swivel, only tilt up and down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.