Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have an old, simple Quad speaker setup from Cambridge Soundworks that I like. I am looking for a USB DAC solution at reasonable cost that ideally can simulate Quad/dual stereo. I have an older Creative card and have checked out some systems online, but they all create distortion when in 5.1 mode without a discrete subwoofer.

Does anybody have any ideas?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Back when I started looking into surround sound I discovered aggregate devices, so using a Scarlett audio interface that I already had, combined with the built-in 3.5mm output I got a rudamentary quad-output. Later I upgraded to an 18i20 which solved all that, but it worked as a starting point.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
That 18i20 is quite a setup. It makes my miniFuse 2 look like children's play.

I ended up with a solution that was not quite as expensive but fun: the miniDSP 2x4HD.

This gives me a lot of opportunities to play around with rear channel DSP parameters from its Dashboard. There are some cheaper solutions, but they require Windows for the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.