Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Your timeline for hearing something is just about the same I experienced. I am curious to see if they are shipping your device from Scottsboro, AL also, implying it is some central hub for lost items. I paid $25 for fedex saver shipping to me.

Regarding the security of the data, I worried about that also. But when I got the device it was still locked and my code unlocked it. So I am reasonably sure that no one got in. Also, all of the apps like the weather channel initially displayed data from the day I left the unit on board.

Interestingly because of this event, I actually started using a password manager, Dashlane. I figure if I every do lose something again, it will be easy to change the master password on the password manager. Then I can use the password manager to update and remember the new passwords for all of my various accounts.
I wonder if Dashlane is like 1Password? 1Password does not keep your passwords at their site, instead they sit in an encrypted vault either on your computer or in a dropbox account. There is no worry about their web site getting hacked. And the passwords are as big and complicated as you want them, usually the limit I run into from online logins is the site itself some with 8-32 characters max.

Regarding passwords it's interesting that 1Password considers a five word password more secure than random characters. I base this on the bar that shows how secure it thinks a password is, so for example a password: frontal.secure.egypt.fortune.benevolent shows as more secure than the same number of random characters. Does anyone know why? I know there is a pot load of words out there, but I'd think that random characters would be more difficult. I prefer the words because if I ever have to manually type them in, it's easier to do.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wonder if Dashlane is like 1Password? 1Password does not keep your passwords at their site, instead they sit in an encrypted vault either on your computer or in a dropbox account. There is no worry about their web site getting hacked. And the passwords are as big and complicated as you want them, usually the limit I run into from online logins is the site itself some with 8-32 characters max.

Regarding passwords it's interesting that 1Password considers a five word password more secure than random characters. I base this on the bar that shows how secure it thinks a password is, so for example a password: frontal.secure.egypt.fortune.benevolent shows as more secure than the same number of random characters. Does anyone know why? I know there is a pot load of words out there, but I'd think that random characters would be more difficult. I prefer the words because if I ever have to manually type them in, it's easier to do.

I believe Dashlane stores the password in a encrypted form on their servers. You have a master password that is used in some form as one of the keys needed to decrypt the password. You install a little app on you phone, tablet, PC and it deals with the various site passwords. When you log into a web site they have an add in that detects the login and can fill in the password and any other information (CC, address, etc) you decide to store. Alternately you can launch their app standalone, look up the login you need and copy/paste the password yourself.

While I do have a Masters in CS and other advanced science degrees I am not a security expert. But my associates that are security experts have said what Dashlane is doing is sound.

Reactions: Huntn

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
So don't remove the device from your account after you erase it. Problem solved. :cool:

Exactly. It's not the "erase" that frees it up...its when you remove the device from your account.

If it's erased but still on your account, it will not make it past the activation screen.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Exactly. It's not the "erase" that frees it up...its when you remove the device from your account.

If it's erased but still on your account, it will not make it past the activation screen.

Mentioned before, but if you put it up for erasure, the command can be reversed, which I did to lost status. And apparently someone at the Lost and Found Dept finally got around to turning it on because Find my iPhone alerted me to the fact that it had been found. It's being shipped to me at my expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.