Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought there was a way to play youtube full screen in webkit by using the Safari 11 UA? the older UA's in webkit won't allow certain features like full screen. I can't remember where to find switch UA's but I've known other people who have watched youtube in fullscreen using webkit, including the user MrPilot on here who claimed to do it perfectly at just 1ghz.

It's definitely possible, from memory I can't remember which user agent it is.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
It's definitely possible, from memory I can't remember which user agent it is.
I made a post asking that question... I hope it can help us all out especially those who like all the YouTube desktop features not available with older UA's.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
LeoWebKit must have advanced features enabled for full screen functionality. If advanced features have not been enabled, full screen is a no-go. It's an out-of-box ability.

Simple as that.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I thought there was a way to play youtube full screen in webkit by using the Safari 11 UA? the older UA's in webkit won't allow certain features like full screen. I can't remember where to find switch UA's but I've known other people who have watched youtube in fullscreen using webkit, including the user MrPilot on here who claimed to do it perfectly at just 1ghz.
I’ve tried like 10 different UAs including that one and couldn’t get it to work.
You change UAs by enabling the developer menu in safari preferences.
Quote, "The only reliable way I've found is to download the youtube video and play it in VLC or coreplayer."

And this wasn't a discussion about whether or not, "Youtube is not the end all be all for computing," I simply addressed your statement of, "If you're trying to play it in-browser, unless you've got a G5 I suggest you stop."

I do this for accuracy to counter misleading information.
Again, this is my opinion.

I wouldn’t exactly call WebKit doing it “reliably” though. It works. But WebKit by itself is finicky and with YouTube it always takes about 5-10 seconds of buffering/skipping before it actually starts playing smoothly. Even on a G5. Therefor I stand by what I said; Downloading it avoids all that. Your advice is to use WebKit, mine is to download a file and play it locally. They both work. And both information is accurate.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I got some questions for those who run Leopard on low end G4 machines or upgraded to G4, G3 machines (under 1ghz)...
I know of people who upgraded beige G3s to leopard by installing a G4 card.

How is overall performance on a low end G4 doing daily tasks such as web browsing (leopard webkit, arctic fox)
and how does YouTube perform on your low end G4 using webkit? (i have seen it run okay at 1ghz)
Is the OS generally fluid and stable and most importantly.. usable?
I like seeing OS's running on unsupported hardware.

I run Leopard on a pb12 867mhz & a 17” 800mhz imac g4. It works well on both. Both are images delivered via TDM/FW400 from a miniG4. This image has the tweaks discussed here:
They Help low spec boxes or a lack of CI/QE. I’m not terribly picky about streaming video/YT but to achieve relative fluid in browser viewing I use roccat browser with the built in iOS mobile user agent - easy peasy. For all browser things I still use TFF.

You might try tenfivetrim or Aurora accelerator. I have not done so but it seems to be working well for folks per it’s thread here.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I’ve tried like 10 different UAs including that one and couldn’t get it to work.
You change UAs by enabling the developer menu in safari preferences.

Again, this is my opinion.

I wouldn’t exactly call WebKit doing it “reliably” though. It works. But WebKit by itself is finicky and with YouTube it always takes about 5-10 seconds of buffering/skipping before it actually starts playing smoothly. Even on a G5. Therefor I stand by what I said; Downloading it avoids all that. Your advice is to use WebKit, mine is to download a file and play it locally. They both work. And both information is accurate.
I imagine Arctic Fox would play YouTube nicely on a G5. As for G4's, downloading 720p and watching full screen looks surpringly nice. I imagine even nicer on an eMac CRT which was made to run past 720p HD.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I imagine even nicer on an eMac CRT which was made to run past 720p HD.

But not 1080p HD.

If you want to get one, there's nothing stopping you. As I've already had one for several years and have already tried everything, I just wanted you to know the catches before you make the investment. It's all up to you.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I imagine Arctic Fox would play YouTube nicely on a G5. As for G4's, downloading 720p and watching full screen looks surpringly nice. I imagine even nicer on an eMac CRT which was made to run past 720p HD.
Maybe, I’ve never tried. The fact that its basically TFF FPR (13?) with some crap turned off leads me to believe it probably won’t.
I just use vanilla TFF on my G5. Its a dual 1.8GHz and has 6GB of ram so TFF is pretty smooth for general browsing for the most part. Even my 1.5Ghz PowerBooks fair perfectly find with TFF. Though with only 2GB of ram I find myself utilizing different browsers more often on those.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Maybe, I’ve never tried. The fact that its basically TFF FPR (13?) with some crap turned off leads me to believe it probably won’t.
I just use vanilla TFF on my G5. Its a dual 1.8GHz and has 6GB of ram so TFF is pretty smooth for general browsing for the most part. Even my 1.5Ghz PowerBooks fair perfectly find with TFF. Though with only 2GB of ram I find myself utilizing different browsers more often on those.

No, you're thinking of Iceweasel. Arctic Fox is the speed demon from Snow Leopard / PPC Linux.

Have you tried the Universal Ultimate Prefs? It improves TFF speeds by factors of ten. :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you tried the Universal Ultimate Prefs? It improves TFF speeds by factors of ten.

Can you give examples of how you reach this conclusion - which sites perform better? I've done some benchmarks and the Ultimate prefs are slower than my own that are a modified version of the @eyoungren prefs?

On latest TFF Powerbook 12" 1.33 Tiger
(Time in seconds to load page - two sets)

Standard Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 15.33 12.17
MacRumors PPC 14.02 18.45
Youtube Video 37.99 40.86

Personal Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 11.79 11.86
MacRumors PPC 7.27 6.54
Youtube Video 25.78 28.08

Ultimate Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 19.40 13.88
MacRumors PPC 13.39 13.48
Youtube Video 29.09 28.91

Last edited:
Reactions: dextructor

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Can you give examples of how you reach this conclusion - which sites perform better? I've done some benchmarks and the Ultimate prefs are slower than my own that are a modified version of the @eyoungren prefs?

On latest TFF Powerbook 12" 1.33 Tiger
(Time in seconds to load page - two sets)

Standard Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 15.33 12.17
MacRumors PPC 14.02 18.45
Youtube Video 37.99 40.86

Personal Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 11.79 11.86
MacRumors PPC 7.27 6.54
Youtube Video 25.78 28.08

Ultimate Prefs
Launch to Home (Google) 19.40 13.88
MacRumors PPC 13.39 13.48
Youtube Video 29.09 28.91

In my experiences, the Ultimate Prefs were much faster than my prior file, also based from the tweak thread.

Strange, the Ultimate prefs are just a combination of the TFF tweaks and the UOC Patch... Could you share your Prefs file? It would be useful to see what's changed.

How does AquaWeb perform relative to the Ultimate and personal prefs?

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Strange, the Ultimate prefs are just a combination of the TFF tweaks and the UOC Patch... Could you share your Prefs file? It would be useful to see what's changed.

Attached, it will be messy and have entries from previous plugins etc.
I haven't really tested AquaWeb - it should be slightly faster as all FoxBoxes are - I only use them for specific sites rather than a general browser.

Attachments

• prefs.js.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: dextructor

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Has anyone provided any before and after real world benchmarks yet?

Not that I’m aware of. I assume some rudimentary benching was done in dev To base performance. I figure I’ll do a fresh osx install on the 867mhz and see how these fare. If I like it, I’ll update my image & use them. I think the initiative is great & as this PB is being a major PITA with linux, any gains under OSX are welcomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.