Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I have limited experience with photography as well, but it seems like a tripod would be an economical solution to your problem. I know it isn't as cool and quick as being able to snap a bunch of different angles, but a good tripod goes for $50. You can just leave the shutter open for longer, and it should be easier to get rich colors anyway. Just a thought!
As economical and easy as that would be, I think the OP is aiming for faster shutter speeds to capture what's going on onstage, which is why an f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime fits the bill.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have limited experience with photography as well, but it seems like a tripod would be an economical solution to your problem. I know it isn't as cool and quick as being able to snap a bunch of different angles, but a good tripod goes for $50. You can just leave the shutter open for longer, and it should be easier to get rich colors anyway. Just a thought!

Yeah, a tripod is the ultimate stabilizer, except in those places where they are forbidden!

[Edit: I just read LittleCanonKid's reply and realized that the OP wants to shoot stuff that is moving. So fast primes are mandatory for him. Stabilization (tripod or otherwise) still helps, though.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.