Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argayu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
I have a MacBook Pro M1 from May '21. Battery capacity is currently at 87%, with a 214 cycle count.

The battery worked as a charm until about July this year when two things happened:
  1. I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura
  2. I've got a refurbished M1 from my employer for work, coincidentally also from 2021 and with similar battery capacity and cycle count (87% and 176, respectively). I usually share three Bluetooth periphericals (magic trackpad and keyboard and Anker speaker) across both M1s.

Since the above happened, the battery of my M1 has been draining for no reason. Every time I charge the laptop at 100% and shut it down, it quickly drains the battery, even when not used. I didn't have these issues previously with Monterey OS, and I don't have the same problems with the refurbished M1 from my employer (also on Ventura).

Things I did:
  • Checked the issue with the only Apple support
  • Run diagnostics --> All OK
  • Got Ventura up to date
  • Reinstalled Ventura
  • Switched off Bluetooth when shut down
  • Switched on Firewall and played with a few variations (in case there was a conflict with the second M1)

I then brought the M1 to the Genius Bar, and the guy there did a hard reset of the Macbook. He also mentioned that the issue could lie with the battery and that it would need replacement. Even though this might be the case, it is hard for me to swallow as:
  • The laptop is just over 2 years old
  • There were no issues whatsoever until I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura
  • Battery capacity is currently at 87%, with a cycle count of 214.
  • I understand that as long as cycle counts don't reach 500 or battery capacity is over 80%, this should work fine
  • The second M1 does not have these problems, with similar age, battery capacity and cycle count
  • My previous MacBook (2011) lasted 10 years with a non-draining battery when shut down.

It is strange that the battery drains so much out of a sudden and with the laptop completely shut down!

Some examples (always charging the battery at 100% and then shut down / wake for network access on battery is off.)
  • Normal setup (Bluetooth On) - 5 days of no use - then battery at 81% (even down to 58% before Genius Bar's the hard reset!)
  • Normal setup (Bluetooth On) - 3 days of no use - then battery at 87%
  • Normal setup (Bluetooth On) - 1 day of no use - then battery at 89%
  • Bluetooth Off - 1 day of no use - then battery at 100%
  • Bluetooth Off - 5 days of no use - then battery at 89%

Not keen to spend a fortune on the battery if that is not the real problem, and I would appreciate your help in finding the culprit here:
  • The battery?
  • The OS upgrade?
  • Any conflict with the other M1 or Bluetooth?

Thanks!

argayu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
Not keen to spend a fortune on the battery if that is not the real problem, and I would appreciate your help in finding the culprit here:
  • The battery?
  • The OS upgrade?
  • Any conflict with the other M1 or Bluetooth?

Hi there! Wondering if any Pro here might have some hint about this issue? Thanks!

Alentejano

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2024
Hi there, did you find what the problem was?

I have the same exact problem with a macbook air m1, but in the last month of warranty i took it to the apple center and they replaced the battery, but guess what...the problem is still there, im guessing it should be something shorting on the board or other component, i tried everything like you did and nothing.

Also i have a Macbook Pro M1 from my employer, i had one month of paternity leave, and left it fully charged, when i turned it on one month later it was still at 100%.... just like my macbook air on the first year....

Thanks

argayu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
Hi there, did you find what the problem was?

I have the same exact problem with a macbook air m1, but in the last month of warranty i took it to the apple center and they replaced the battery, but guess what...the problem is still there, im guessing it should be something shorting on the board or other component, i tried everything like you did and nothing.

Also i have a Macbook Pro M1 from my employer, i had one month of paternity leave, and left it fully charged, when i turned it on one month later it was still at 100%.... just like my macbook air on the first year....

Thanks
Hi @Alentejano - The problem started when I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura, and [as I suspected] it was connected to the OS, as it went away months later when I upgraded from Ventura to Sonoma.

I'm so glad I didn't follow the advice of the Genius Bar expert, who was confident that the battery (despite a 87% capacity and 176 cycles) was the issue and insisted I needed to fork 250 quid to get a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.