Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
But to answer your question on which one is better to get:

1. Do you use processor intensive apps for commercial purposes? If so, get the iPad Air M2 IF the screen quality doesn't matter.

2. Do you need the larger screen? Get the iPad Pro; otherwise get the iPad Air (the screen is slightly smaller).

3. Do you need the quad speakers or 120 hz display? If so, get the iPad Pro; otherwise get the iPad Air.

4. Do you absolutely keep your machine as long as possible before replacing the machine? If so, get the iPad Air (since it's newer, it should be usable though the mid 2030's), otherwise get the iPad Pro (usable until the early 2030's).
I think the 120 hz is one of the most biggest features that pushed me to the iPad Pro 😄😄😄

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
No the iPad Pro 11" are actually 11". The former iPad Air and current iPad Air 11" are both actually 10.9". That was just a name change

Similarly the iPad Pro 13" is actually 13". The former iPad Pro 12.9" and current iPad Air 13" are both 12.9"

But this is all negligible. Honestly I don't know why they do that
Apple’s naming scheme gets weirder every year.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
After some consideration, today I decided to order the refurbished 11" M1 iPad Pro from Apple UK.

The irony is that if the iPad 10th Gen had a 128GB option, I may have gone for that because I initially wanted to pay as little as possible and sub-£400 was compelling. But 64GB for the base model is too little, and £499 for the next step up (even though it's 256GB) is too close to the price of the new iPad Air (£599) & refurb M1 iPad Pro (£549).

In the end, it really wasn't a challenging decision. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, it's been really helpful.

Reactions: RRC and th1nk

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
After some consideration, today I decided to order the refurbished 11" M1 iPad Pro from Apple UK.

The irony is that if the iPad 10th Gen had a 128GB option, I may have gone for that because I initially wanted to pay as little as possible and sub-£400 was compelling. But 64GB for the base model is too little, and £499 for the next step up (even though it's 256GB) is too close to the price of the new iPad Air (£599) & refurb M1 iPad Pro (£549).

In the end, it really wasn't a challenging decision. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, it's been really helpful.
Congratulations on your new iPad! Hope you enjoy it!

Reactions: JSRinUK

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
No the iPad Pro 11" are actually 11". The former iPad Air and current iPad Air 11" are both actually 10.9". That was just a name change

Similarly the iPad Pro 13" is actually 13". The former iPad Pro 12.9" and current iPad Air 13" are both 12.9"

I thought it’s quite obvious why Apple did that. It’s to simply streamline the line up and make it similar to the MacBook lineup. The MacBook screen sizes are not exactly 13”, 14”, 15” or 16” either, and yet they are marketed as such for simplification.

MacBook:
Air 13” and 15”
Pro 14” and 16”

iPad:
Air 11” and 13”
Pro 11” and 13”

I’m more surprised they didn’t increase the size of the iPad Pros by an inch. But I suspect that would happen in the future. Many digital artists would benefit from the increased size.

I thought it’s quite obvious why Apple did that. It’s to simply streamline the line up and make it similar to the MacBook lineup. The MacBook screen sizes are not exactly 13”, 14”, 15” or 16” either, and yet they are marketed as such for simplification.
I was referring to the fact that the iPad Airs are still *slightly* smaller than their pro counterparts. For simplicity I would have assumed Apple would 1) keep iPad Pro at 12.9" but *call* it 13" and 2) increase the iPad Air to exactly 11" just to streamline display production lines

Instead they 1) increased 12.9 pro to 13" and added a 13" Air which is *actually* 12.9"... 2) renamed the 10.9" air to 11" but *actually* kept it at 10.9"

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't mention their actual screen size for the base model, except to say 10.9". Whereas the new M2 Air is now described as being 11". But it has in vey small text a side notation in apple's comparison table for different iPad current models, where it says:

" Measured diagonally as a rectangle, the 11‑inch iPad Air is 10.86 inches. Actual viewable area is less. "

Hmm ... but Apple doesn't say what the viewable area is!! Hah Hah. But it's less than 10.85 inch!!!!

Other threads have mentioned the "If Steve Jobs were here", while others have said at what his age would be now (70 years) he'd not likely be working for Apple (I guess the tech industry is tougher than the USA's Presidency). But why does Apple make establishing precise screen viewing sizes impossible?

Since Apple does not, they should call the series 10 base iPad, the current M2 Air and the iPad M4 Pro all 11" viewing. Unless its a 13" of course!

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

Well done! Great deal too. Refurb's from Apple Australia don't occur with iPads unless it's for over equipped iPad Minis.

My figures show for a last year's iPad Pro M2, they cost 12.5% less than today's version, in cellular and 256 GB versions. Value is better for a 128 GB version, and using Mac Air prices for upgrading 128 to 256 GB I found the previous M2 Mac Pro with cellular and 128 GB to be 19% cheaper than the new version (if it had 128 GB available). For many usages your M1 Pro would be better than today's Air IMO, mostly due to Promotion and screen brightness.

When one starts considering keyboards and pens, current models would have more appeal. But then one runs into the comparative value of MacBooks.

Last edited:

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I thought it might be amusing to see my two “non-Mini” iPads side-by-side, more than a decade apart …

IMG_1566.jpeg

I think I know which is the newer one. 🤣

For many usages your M1 Pro would be better than today's Air IMO, mostly due to Promotion and screen brightness.
It was the hardware differences that nailed it for me in the end. If the 2024 iPad Air had been an M4 rather than an M2, I may have been persuaded the other way.

The screen is definitely awesome.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I'm also considering getting a refurb M1 Pro for £550... it's still more than enough for 90% of the people buying iPads I expect and literally half the price of the new model, but a lot more than half the machine IMO.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I'm also considering getting a refurb M1 Pro for £550... it's still more than enough for 90% of the people buying iPads I expect and literally half the price of the new model, but a lot more than half the machine IMO.
I don’t think you’ll regret it. I actually went the extra step and got the cellular version (£100 more) - mainly because I don’t see myself replacing this iPad for many, many years and I know that option will be useful to me (I occasionally used it on my mini 5). But that’s obviously not necessary if you don’t need it.

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses! Hoping this thread helped anyone else make a decision, like it helped me.

OneSon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
I have an Air but I'm going to get a Pro because I find the fingerprint unlock on the Air very annoying. I may well get the M1 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.