Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftyAlek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
I've noticed strange sound during closing the lid. It not happen everytime sometime is louder, sometimes quieter.
Maybe lot of you has it but don't carry about.

I've recorded it.

Does someone expierience similar issue?

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sorry, but I don’t hear anything in your video. What you may be hearing, however, is the friction mechanism in the hinge making a small sound as you start breaking its friction lock on the lid.

If it bothers you, take it in for the Genius’ to look at.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I had this issue on my M1 MacBook Air, but do not have the same issue on my 14 or 16" MacBook Pro. It was a major pain with the Air because it made it harder to open. It would sometimes stick shut unexpectedly and then the bottom half would flop down on the desk or table, sometimes a little harder than I was comfortable with. Never figured out a way to stop it, so I just learned to live with it.

Thanos812007

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I had my machine in authorised service, they check it and said that everything is ok :).
Also I noticed that this sound does not happen in cold room.
Yes when the machine is cold I cannot here it, but when it gets a little hot it appears again

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
If it really bothers you, you could probably put a little talcum powder on a rag and run it around the outer edge of the display. This will put a small layer of powder on the soft plastic and should prevent it from sticking to the body of the computer.

matveeff

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
I don't hear any sound on the video, but I experience the same issue and I noticed that if I open a macbook and put it upsuide down so that the display is down and open and shake it up and down a little the noise is gone but may appear if you shake it once more)) So I think there's something touching the aluminum inside of the macbook (maybe under the hinge) and once you move the lid you move the hinge so it does this sound, not sure how to fully fix it, but it fully fixes after shaking (but please note that this is only a temporary fix, I don't know how to fix it once and forever) Did you came up with any ideas after all this time?

matveeff

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
Still wondering if you've found something related to the issue, but please take a look at what I've replied here regarding the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.