Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
Try to solve relatively complex math in Mathematica and you quickly will find that 64gb is nothing or even 256gb is nothing :)
Or some things like large graphs manipulations and analysis.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Try to solve relatively complex math in Mathematica and you quickly will find that 64gb is nothing or even 256gb is nothing :)
Or some things like large graphs manipulations and analysis.

What in the world are you using Mathematica for? That you can’t do in R,SAS or python?

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
What in the world are you using Mathematica for? That you can’t do in R,SAS or python
Since when python or R can do symbolic math transformations and analytical solutions? :)
Those are different tools for different needs.
And when it comes to numerics, BTW, none of those would my choice either
But my numerics used to require hundreds or thousands cores :)

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Since when python or R can do symbolic math transformations and analytical solutions? :)
Those are different tools for different needs.
And when it comes to numerics, BTW, none of those would my choice either
But my numerics used to require hundreds or thousands cores :)

But what are you doing that requires an analytical solution? And yes those languages do enable you to solve problems numerically, with a plethora of ml libraries and solvers.

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
But what are you doing that requires an analytical solution? And yes those languages do enable you to solve problems numerically, with a plethora of ml libraries and solvers.
1) just math originated from different problems. Anything life throws at me :) You solve problem numerically only if you can’t crack it analytically. Mathematica will not solve for you really complex problem, but a handy tool you can use on the way. Even if at the end of the process is numerical silver, Mathematica can be handy, before you arrive to equations you are actually going to solve.

2) I know that they enable, but none of them were ever a tool of my choice :)
But again, none of them is a tool for the calculations which require thousands of cores and/or (tens of) terabytes of memory. And for rapid prototyping I’d always choose MATLAB.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Window Server is currently taking over 25 Gigs of ram. not sure if this is related to the reported RAM bug, but the machine is definitely not going as fast as I would expect, and getting a lot of spinning wheel. So far, this has not been as fast as my iMac in real world use. (to be clear, most indexing should be done by now).

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
Active use of VMs is another case where memory would not hurt and 16G is nothing :)

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
The BBC Micro had 16 and 32KB (K not M not G) of RAM.

In that we managed to run an OS, printing, games, word processors, compilers, spreadsheets, music makers, level editors, maths chart plotters, fractal explorers, ...

what happened to software engineering that 1000,0000 x as much ram only have us 10x better apps?

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Window Server is currently taking over 25 Gigs of ram. not sure if this is related to the reported RAM bug, but the machine is definitely not going as fast as I would expect, and getting a lot of spinning wheel. So far, this has not been as fast as my iMac in real world use. (to be clear, most indexing should be done by now).
I’m guessing you are using 32GB?

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The BBC Micro had 16 and 32KB (K not M not G) of RAM.

In that we managed to run an OS, printing, games, word processors, compilers, spreadsheets, music makers, level editors, maths chart plotters, fractal explorers, ...

what happened to software engineering that 1000,0000 x as much ram only have us 10x better apps?
Microsoft happened…

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Here is another good review, with actual in app demos of Art using the product

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.