Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I should get my max in about a week now (wishful thinking). CTO configurations takes time. I will test it myself. However, when I was playing with it in the store, it worked nice and fast. It might be some SW installed that is causing issues.
congrats on getting the max. i was having this issue in fresh vanilla install and also in safe mode. in my 14 years using several macs this is the first time i am seeing the activity monitor updating slowly and getting beach ball. i goto activity monitor to kill the beach ball of some other applications now the activity monitor itself is getting beach ball :) migrating to arm64 is not a easy task. i was not having this issue with apple m1 or other intel macs i had

Last edited:

RuudBurger

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
I'm having the same issue with the Dell U4021QW, which has the Realtek 8153 chipset. On a 15" Intel MacBook Pro (2019) I get 1gbit/s download and upload, but on 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro I only get around 600mbit/s.

I got a ugreen usb3 eth dongle, which has an Asix 88179 chipset and it does get the 1gbit/s speeds again.

Both the realtek (com.apple.DriverKit.AppleUserECM) and the asix (com.asix.dext.usbdevice) do use a lot of CPU when maximum bandwidth is reached. Between 50% and 100% of a single core.

Found https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/gukh9c and https://gist.github.com/MadLittleMods/3005bb13f7e7178e1eaa9f054cc547b0 but no available solutions mentioned in the comments work to get the Realtek chip working at full speed (and getting CPU usage down).

So I do hope the drivers get updated so I can use the ethernet in the Dell monitor again and not use a full cpu core when downloading something...

Last edited:

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
The reason Activity Monitor takes longer to display anything for some people is the setting each user has selected in View -> Update Frequency. You can configure Activity Monitor for 1, 2, or 5 seconds between updates. When it first starts up, it won't display anything until it has spent that much time collecting some statistics to display - thus the 5 second delay for some people.

Carlos970

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
I am getting max speed when i use the same chipset in usb dongle. the problem is when it is present in thunderbolt dock the speed is capped to max 700mbps.
cool but multi port docking requires a different architecture than simple dongles, they use more chips to drive the many different ports, if its not a good quality dock there will be a lot of communications problems starting within the same device then translated by the computer, apple has been known to simply work ****** with certain chip makers because they dont meet up specific standards wich is a total crap but makes you think about better choices when getting accessories

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
The reason Activity Monitor takes longer to display anything for some people is the setting each user has selected in View -> Update Frequency. You can configure Activity Monitor for 1, 2, or 5 seconds between updates. When it first starts up, it won't display anything until it has spent that much time collecting some statistics to display - thus the 5 second delay for some people.

This is a good catch. Thanks for sharing. I just changed it to 1 sec and and it starts in 2 seconds. But when it is 5 seconds it takes almost 8 to 10 seconds to show the content. I have two other intel macs and they have 5 seconds as update frequency and the activity monitor shows the contents instantly. That makes me to think something wrong with my m1 max gear. Hope apple fixes this small glitch in monterey for m1 macs.

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
It is time to stop whining and share some performance scores in software development with m1 max when compared to amd 5950x

I have a react project with 16000 typescript files and use gulp and webpack to build the project. Here is my results with node v16.13

Apple M1 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM) : 68 seconds

Apple M1 Max (64 GB RAM) : 68 seconds

5950x (128GB RAM)

Windows : 120 Seconds

WSL2: 90 Seconds

Linux : 78 Seconds

Hackintosh : 90 Seconds

It seems to be that apple m1 mac build performance is far ahead of 5950x with nodejs development.

I tried some xcode ios/mac projects and it is as advertised by apple and there is no denying in the performance improvements

I am not sharing my graphics / video work performance comparison because there is ton of that available in the web.

I also tried to build a mid sized dotnet 6 project and here are my results

Apple M1 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM) : 68 seconds

Apple M1 Max (64 GB RAM) : 48 seconds

5950x (128GB RAM)

Windows : 39 Seconds

Linux : 33 Seconds

Hackintosh : 38 Seconds

It seems to be that m1 max trailing here in dotnet6 build.

I also tried to build a ASP.NET project and here are my results

Apple M1 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM) : 8 min ( this is because of rosetta)

Apple M1 Max (64 GB RAM) : 5 min (this is because of rosetta)

5950x (128GB RAM)

Windows : 2 min

Linux : 2 min 30 seconds

I am using rider as ide for web and dotnet projects and it feels snappier in m1 max when compared to windows. But the experience of rider in linux is much much snappier than m1 max and windows.

I know it is not fair to compare hefty 5950x desktop with m1 max laptop. But m1 max performance outshines here in most of the development tasks and trails in very few build tasks like dotnet6 (which is new for arm64). I am not convinced of switching from linux on 5950x to m1 max for my every day work for software development. Because i feel linux much snappier & smooth to work with. Need to wait for apple silicon imacs and mac pro so that we can do a fair comparison with desktop processors. Will try to use m1 max on the go and for apple echo system. I am still waiting to know how 12th gen intel laptops scores with m1 max macs.

The m1 max performance/watts is the best in the market at present.

Reactions: Juraj22

Juraj22

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Monterey 12.0.1 has a lot of SW issues. I guess that we need to give Apple more time to sort it out.

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I just installed anker thunderbolt dock and the ethernet speed in this dock also capped at 700mbps.

Update:

I talked with apple and they offered me with replacement/refund. I suspect that it should be problem with apple software/hardware.

I tried with ts3 plus dock and ethernet speed is okey with this.

Docks having realtek chipset can only give 700 mbps with m1 max. in windows/linux they give maximum speed. something not right with apple software/hardware

The problem, when i restart the mac the mag safe stays amber is not solved yet for me. Does any one it is solved with 12.1 monterey?

Last edited:

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I have the same issue with a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro. It maxes out around 730mbps. Sometimes less. I did some experiments with some usb-c dongles and:
- When attached directly to the Mac, it gives me full gigabit speeds
- When attached to the thunderbolt dock usb-c port, it is also capped at 730mbps.

They all have Realtek chipsets, so the problem seems to be when the ethernet connection is via thunderbolt. If its only via ubc 3.X there's no problem.

I didn't find any solution for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.