Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hello @Mac Hammer Fan thank you very much for the heads up. I am now one complete OS cycle behind, so I am now upgrading from Monterey to Ventura.
I will wait before moving to Sonoma though. Will keep an eye on the Adobe forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
I have Sonoma, I am a pro user, all my apps work just fine.

There really isn't any downside of Sonoma. No major bugs, just more user friendly features such as right click tap back.

Reactions: OSXphoto

OSXphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Okay I jumped to Ventura 13.6. No issues so far, except that it will not show the 13.6.1 update, while the App Store does have it available.
@WilliApple : I'll need to wait before installing Sonoma until the Adobe products' issues have been resolved.

Reactions: iAppleOrchard

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I also have a 16” M1 Max, and am also currently on Monterey.
I’ll stick with Monterey until I’m forced to upgrade. Everything is working well for me at the moment, hence I have no desire to upgrade and none of the ‘new’ features interest me at all.

Reactions: OSXphoto

OSXphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I like the cinematic movie option which came with my iPhone 14 PM and iOS 16 / Ventura. Other than that I don’t notice any difference.
Also, the Adobe Lightroom subscription appears to require Ventura at some point.
[Edit: the 13.6.1 update has arrived and installed without issues]

Last edited:

OSXphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
but what about faster battery discharge on Ventura compared to Monterey? have they really fixed it?
I noticed this issue clearly during the first week. Now I'm five weeks in and I don't notice it as much anymore. I would be hard pressed to say if it's back to what it was with Monterey, but it has improved. I have had stage manager off so far.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Yesterday I upgraded my laptop from Ventura to Sonoma 14.1.2
2 Issues:
1) the random drop of File Sharing (switch off, reboot, switch on) is still there,
2) the splash window of Eclipse shows upside-down.
If that is all ......
;JOOP!

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
not had a SINGLE Crash of any app. from the start for me the OS has been Fast and good. but other people have different requirements 😀

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
but what about faster battery discharge on Ventura compared to Monterey? have they really fixed it?
I upgraded from Catalina to Ventura on my 2017 MBP and battery life is worse. I updated when 13.2 was the current release and its not much better with the most recent 13.6.1. I get about 3-4 hours of "wireless web" which includes a decent amount of youtube streaming. I got probably 6-8 on Catalina.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I upgraded from Catalina to Ventura on my 2017 MBP and battery life is worse. I updated when 13.2 was the current release and its not much better with the most recent 13.6.1. I get about 3-4 hours of "wireless web" which includes a decent amount of youtube streaming. I got probably 6-8 on Catalina.
I'm afraid your problem is related to your laptop age.
My M2 laptop gives me 12 hours of battery life.
;JOOP!

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I'm afraid your problem is related to your laptop age.
My M2 laptop gives me 12 hours of battery life.
;JOOP!
Clearly, an Apple Silicon laptop would have better battery life overall.

However, the battery was replaced last year on this 2017 laptop. The comparison was to the previous OS run on the same hardware. The poster asked if upgrading to Ventura from a previous OS would negatively effect battery life. In my experience, it has.

Reactions: foliovision

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Clearly, an Apple Silicon laptop would have better battery life overall.

However, the battery was replaced last year on this 2017 laptop. The comparison was to the previous OS run on the same hardware. The poster asked if upgrading to Ventura from a previous OS would negatively effect battery life. In my experience, it has.
First: it is alleged that newer software does not necessarily 'fully understand' older hardware.
Next: replacing a battery does not replace the controlling logic.
I type this on an 9 year old iMac that can't be upgraded but seems slower every day and has
strange software errors in newer product releases.
So, maybe it is true that we are being forced to buy new hardware from time to time.
Pity, my MSWindows computers in the past gave up BEFORE the software did.
;JOOP!

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
If you are using Mail plugins, don’t update yet. Obviously, Apple has turned off the old API for plugins, but hasn’t provided full access through the new API yet. My PGP plugin from GPGTools won’t work under Sonoma. They’re waiting for Apple to provide the necessary functionality before they can provide an updated version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.