Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flobach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
I have a 2018 i3 Mac Mini and an M1 MAcBook Pro. I was thinking of selling the MBP, then reconsidered during WWDC.

What are the features and functionalities that will only be available to macOS on the M1 processor? So far I could only find certain maps features.

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
So, for easier visability those features are:

Portrait mode​

Inspired by Portrait mode on iPhone and powered by the M1 chip, this new video effect puts the focus on you — not what’s behind you.

Live Text in photos​

Your Mac now lets you interact with text in any image. Click an address and it opens in Maps. Call, message, or save any phone number you see. You can copy and paste just as you would with any other text. And personal details and information from images never leave your device.

All-new city experience​

Explore cities with unprecedented detail for roads, neighborhoods, trees, buildings, and more. Visit amazing 3D landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge in both the day and dark mode maps.

Interactive globe​

Discover the natural beauty of Earth with a rich and interactive globe. Explore new enhanced details for mountain ranges, deserts, rain forests, oceans, and more.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Apple holding back features to try to sell more Macs.

One of the reasons MacOS is so great is because Apple creates both the hardware and software, but this also leads to them being able to do this, and it feels like it's getting worse with every release.

What other reason could they possibly have to hold back these features?

Reactions: Mikey86uk

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
In the past it was always hardware related.
In this case the Intel CPUs have no neural engine which are required for Portrait Mode and Live Text. Not sure about the Map features yet, maybe some GPU features missing.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Apple holding back features to try to sell more Macs.

One of the reasons MacOS is so great is because Apple creates both the hardware and software, but this also leads to them being able to do this, and it feels like it's getting worse with every release.

Yeah I'm curious if things will change once they have reached a point where all the supported computers are ones with Apple Chips in them.

Like the fact they dropped a bunch of computers with this release even though it has very few large changes feels like they're dropping support just to get people to buy new computers as opposed to actual limitations of the dropped computers.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Yeah I'm curious if things will change once they have reached a point where all the supported computers are ones with Apple Chips in them.
Probably not. This has been Apple’s modus operandi for some time. If they base development of a feature on new technology, more often than not they won’t backport it. I am actually more concerned that this will only occur more often in the future, given the rapid development of Apple Silicon.
Like the fact they dropped a bunch of computers with this release even though it has very few large changes feels like they're dropping support just to get people to buy new computers as opposed to actual limitations of the dropped computers.
They are doing this after a Mac is considered “vintage” (5+ years after discontinuation) or “obsolete” (7+ years) by Apple and no longer (easily) serviceable by them. Technical capability does not seem to be the primary concern here. It is in the end a business decision, but not necessarily spite to coax customers into buying a new computer.

You can still get 7 years of support out of a Mac model, not counting the 2 years of security updates on the last version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.