Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I got my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16'' just 1 month ago.2 days ago I realized after I play league or modelling on Rhino 7,system animations begin a little laggy and also transferring data from ssd or just installing anything gets too much time than expected.I bought this laptop for designing 3D products and rendering.But some rhino models are working so slow that I started to think maybe not the best choice.Does anyone got an idea about the after-slowness of M1 Pro? Also did i make a bad choice of getting M1 Pro model for workflow like Rhino,Keyshot,Sketchup?Did I need to get the M1 Max model?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
How much RAM do you have? Do you have any memory leaks? (If the answer to the latter is: "I don't know," then I suggest investigate in Activity Monitor.)
I suspect this (i.e., memory) is more likely the issue than number of GPU cores (which is the main difference between M1 Pro and M1 Max, other than things like video encoders).
(btw, more RAM is not a solution to a memory leak. Fixing the software/OS is the solution. A temporary fix is to kill the leaking processes.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hmorneau

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
How much RAM do you have? Do you have any memory leaks? (If the answer to the latter is: "I don't know," then I suggest investigate in Activity Monitor.)
I suspect this (i.e., memory) is more likely the issue than number of GPU cores (which is the main difference between M1 Pro and M1 Max, other than things like video encoders).
(btw, more RAM is not a solution to a memory leak. Fixing the software/OS is the solution. A temporary fix is to kill the leaking processes.)
16GB of ram.
Ekran Resmi 2021-12-21 13.11.58.png

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
If your ram get full, no matter how fast your CPU and SSD, your computer will slowdown. It happened to me a lot. You can confirm this by checking Activity Monitor. I have since exchanged my M1 Pro 16GB for the M1 Max (24c) 32GB and no more slowdown.

There is memory leak and all type of issue at the moment, but if you are already running out of RAM I would suggest you upgrade.

Do you need the M1 Max? If you need 32GB it's available on the Pro or Max. The difference is the GPU, so it depends if your workflow need GPU acceleration.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Ok, well at this point, after 1 month, you don't have the option to exchange for more RAM.
I suggest investigate using memory tab in activity monitor if you have a memory leak (inexplicably increasing memory assigned to some processes). If you don't look into this, you will never really know what is the problem, nor know how to address it.

Getting more RAM to address a memory leak is like getting a bigger (and very expensive) bucket to fix a leak in your roof. Not very effective.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Best case scenario right now is restarting because of the memory leak issues in Monterey if you pair that with hungry Electron apps it's a s* show.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Ok, well at this point, after 1 month, you don't have the option to exchange for more RAM.
I suggest investigate using memory tab in activity monitor if you have a memory leak (inexplicably increasing memory assigned to some processes). If you don't look into this, you will never really know what is the problem, nor know how to address it.

Getting more RAM to address a memory leak is like getting a bigger (and very expensive) bucket to fix a leak in your roof. Not very effective.
Depends, if he is between the holiday return window which end on January 8.

Reactions: wilberforce

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
Let see. Safari is using 13GB of ram with 6 tabs open, WindowServer 2GB (and sometime it stick at 100% CPU usage randomly).

What if this is a feature by Apple to get you to buy the next iMac? Apple has a history of slowing down their devices to get their customers to upgrade. They're going to need to convince current iMac owners to buy their iMac Pro line.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a "fix".

• Haha
Reactions: Poison Astro

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
16GB ram is not the reason your mac is slowing down if you're playing League of Legends. Anyone who says it is the reason, you should be ignoring them as they are defined as moronic.

Reactions: TheRain

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021

No,when im playing league and talking on discord at the same time,there is still 4GB of ram available as seen on the activity monitor

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Can anybody just help me because i started to think going to apple and say''take this sh** and give me another one''
If anybody knows what's the problem,pls help

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Can anybody just help me because i started to think going to apple and say''take this sh** and give me another one''
If anybody knows what's the problem,pls help
Usually it's due to the memory leak that is going on with Monterey, I just fully restart my laptop every day basically due to the memory leak going on.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
I have have to use Windows quite often - I find THAT oh so annoying.
While I preferred the look an feel of something like Mountain Lion (by quite a margin), I feel very reliefed every time I am back on my Mac. Doesn‘t suck at all, in particular considering the alternatives

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I generally don't have any issues and can leave my Pro up for days with a lot of active trading platforms active in the background.

That said, I've had 2 incidents in the last month where the system just became unresponsive and when I checked my message bar up top right I saw Usage app (highly recommend) showing my RAM maxed. I had to hold down the power key to get it to reboot. There is certainly a memory leak at times on Monterey still and until it is fixed you should reboot every so often to keep it at bay.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
I have have to use Windows quite often - I find THAT oh so annoying.
While I preferred the look an feel of something like Mountain Lion (by quite a margin), I feel very reliefed every time I am back on my Mac. Doesn‘t suck at all, in particular considering the alternatives
Comparing a clean $1500+ Mac to a $500 Windows laptop pre-installed with spyware from your employer is an extremely biased comparison.

Compare a $1500 Mac to a $1500 Windows PC on a clean install and the Windows PC will smoke the Mac in everything.
I can find a windows laptop with an RTX 30-series for just $1500. No way is the M1 beating that.

Last edited by a moderator:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I don't believe Rhino, Sketchup or keyshot are optimised for M..... same with Fusion 360. All Rosetta.

Rhino certainly doesn't run as well on the M1 Pro Max as my 16" Intel MBP. I can't say I have done extensive testing however as have been focussed in other areas.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
To the people on this thread, how do you know this is a memory leak "bug" and not something intentional?

I am an extremely frustrated customer, because I feel I was lied to by Apple and their fanatics.
I was promised performance (Both CPU and GPU) above the i5-8400 and GTX 1050 ti. I can see from the performance in games and video conversions and streaming that this is clearly not the case.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Comparing a clean $1500+ Mac to a $500 Windows laptop pre-installed with spyware from your employer is an extremely biased comparison.

Compare a $1500 Mac to a $1500 Windows PC on a clean install and the Windows PC will smoke the Mac in everything.
I can find a windows laptop with an RTX 30-series for just $1500. No way is the M1 beating that.
Suuuure you know what gear I or my institute are running. Fyi: running lots of machines, none of which is blw 6k (apart from Nvidia Jetsons). Interesting you claim I compared the machines you stated even though I did not even mention hardware. Could this be intentional, insinuating an unfair comparison?

What spyware are you talking about? There‘s no spyware apart from Windows itself, stop making things up.

Anyway, its not about the device, its about the OS: I find Windows annoying. Prefer macOS and Linux any day. Hence I compare some Macs (the most expensive is 4300) with 6k (min) Xeons running Windows. Windows still sucks, its not a question of performance

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.