Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
I got my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16'' just 1 month ago.2 days ago I realized after I play league or modelling on Rhino 7,system animations begin a little laggy and also transferring data from ssd or just installing anything gets too much time than expected.I bought this laptop for designing 3D products and rendering.But some rhino models are working so slow that I started to think maybe not the best choice.Does anyone got an idea about the after-slowness of M1 Pro? Also did i make a bad choice of getting M1 Pro model for workflow like Rhino,Keyshot,Sketchup?Did I need to get the M1 Max model?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a M1 MAX. Works great for Final Cut Pro but can't run Minecraft at max graphics without also only running at 15fps. A little disappointed with the GPU performance.

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a M1 MAX. Works great for Final Cut Pro but can't run Minecraft at max graphics without also only running at 15fps. A little disappointed with the GPU performance.
is it very good on rhino,sketchup etc.? Because my M1 Pro is laggy on rendered view in Rhino 7

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
Now you are being preposterous. Why would Apple ruin its reputation? Doesn‘t make sense at all

Prove that it would ruin their reputation. Apple fans are incredibly stubborn and would refuse to switch to Windows under any circumstances. The battery-gate incident is proof. If any PC component manufacturer pulled something like that, they would've gone out of business due to boycotts. Apple fans should be put Apple under a fire and boycotted them. Instead, Apple fans continued to buy iPhones, giving Apple no incentive to change their ways.

Apple knows this and is doing what any profit-maximizing entity would do when it has an incredibly loyal customer base - Abuse them as much as possible.
Even their trashy Magic Mouse gets high ratings from Apple fanatics. That's all the proof any reasonable person needs to know that Apple fans are willing to put up with more crap than PC users do.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
Just look at this thread.
So many people suffering from terrible performance despite the "superior" performance of the M1 chip being the main selling point of the new Macs, yet no one is saying they're moving back to Windows.
Windows hasn't had an issue like this in forever. In fact, Microsoft and PC component manufacturer are being put under the fire by their customers for even the slightest problem, which is why Windows PCs are mostly problem-free and high-quality.

You keep going back to Apple after they keep abusing you and Apple will never change their way. Hold Apple accountable. Stop buying their products.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I don't think Minecraft is a good benchmark to use here. Last time I played the Java version was when the GTX 1080 was the best you could get, and I could not max it out in either Mac with the BEST hardware or Windows WITHOUT Optifine. This is why I play the Windows 10 version from now on as it actually performs well.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Can anybody just help me because i started to think going to apple and say''take this sh** and give me another one''
If anybody knows what's the problem,pls help
1. Upgrade to 32GB of ram (that would help a lot)
2. Wait for Apple to fix the memory leak
3. Reboot your machine every day
4. Keep an eye on Activity Monitor and kill processes that use too much ram.

Exchanging your laptop for an other 16GB won't change anything.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Not quite the issue OP has, but I have also noticed a decrease in graphics performance on my M1 Max. This happens (sometimes!) if the machine was in sleep for an extended period of time.

To give an example: I can play Dirt 4 with an average framerate of 68fps with almost maxed out settings and 3000x2000 resolution. When the MacBook Pro was in sleep before playing the game, I sometimes can only get around 10fps. If I reboot, the issue is gone and everything is working normally.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Not quite the issue OP has, but I have also noticed a decrease in graphics performance on my M1 Max. This happens (sometimes!) if the machine was in sleep for an extended period of time.

To give an example: I can play Dirt 4 with an average framerate of 68fps with almost maxed out settings and 3000x2000 resolution. When the MacBook Pro was in sleep before playing the game, I sometimes can only get around 10fps. If I reboot, the issue is gone and everything is working normally.
Where did you get Dirt 4?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
is it very good on rhino,sketchup etc.? Because my M1 Pro is laggy on rendered view in Rhino 7
Rendered view has always been laggy on the Mac. But as I mentioned previously rhino isn't optimised for M chips.
it runs better on my intel MBP and far better on my PC....

Rhino 8 will be much better I imagine.

I think C4D is the only native M 3D app. Happy to be corrected.

Ziperix

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
Comparing a clean $1500+ Mac to a $500 Windows laptop pre-installed with spyware from your employer is an extremely biased comparison.

Compare a $1500 Mac to a $1500 Windows PC on a clean install and the Windows PC will smoke the Mac in everything.
I can find a windows laptop with an RTX 30-series for just $1500. No way is the M1 beating that.
Trolls like you are always so funny to me.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Comparing a clean $1500+ Mac to a $500 Windows laptop pre-installed with spyware from your employer is an extremely biased comparison.

Compare a $1500 Mac to a $1500 Windows PC on a clean install and the Windows PC will smoke the Mac in everything.
I can find a windows laptop with an RTX 30-series for just $1500. No way is the M1 beating that.
Oh, the M1 beats that easily. Question is: what metric are we talking about?
Plus: your 1500 bucks laptop runs: Windows.

Reactions: StoneJack

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
1. Upgrade to 32GB of ram (that would help a lot)
2. Wait for Apple to fix the memory leak
3. Reboot your machine every day
4. Keep an eye on Activity Monitor and kill processes that use too much ram.

Exchanging your laptop for an other 16GB won't change anything.
Ekran Resmi 2021-12-23 01.36.52.png
that is the activity monitor when playing league and talking on discord at the same time

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
Oh, the M1 beats that easily. Question is: what metric are we talking about?
Plus: your 1500 bucks laptop runs: Windows.
LMFAO...
The M1 Mac can't even browse 4chan with the Christmas snowing theme smoothly. It's horribly stutter and lags like a 10-year-old android phone.
I have an i5-8400 with GTX 1050 ti running at 144 hz and it's unbelievably smooth.

The M1 is equivalent to i3-3220 with GTX 630.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.