Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinelliman88

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Which Max did you get? I got the 24c/32gb/1TB. I kind of regret not getting 64gb... I just don't want to go through that exchange process again and the 64GB are delayed by 2 months now.
PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS065-CCVNM1 Max with 10C CPU, 32C GPU
MEMORY065-CCVW32GB unified memory

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Make that buyer's remorse to go away or it won't, it will be the same itch that made you swap it to 32GB and M1 Max 24GPU.

I've also read M1 Max w/32GB vs M1 Max w/64GB is a hell a lot of difference also regarding battery life, can't understand 100% why, and 64gb'ers as you mention, is the most delayed configuration (trying to be on your Angel side rather than on Devil's one 🤣 ... but hell, if you're gonna sleep better, max it out with those 64GB and also try to join "Express Replacement" where you can keep your current device and return it when the new one arrives)
Express replacement?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Don't overthink it. Just make a decision and go with it. These M1x's can take an astonishing amount of punishment without slowing down. If you buy too much, hang onto it longer and it won't make a big difference in the long run. If you buy too little, just sell and upgrade sooner.

I'm a Web developer too. I'm pretty sure that 16GB is going to be fine for me for at least a couple of years. I actually expect that it'll be just fine for longer, but if it's not, I'll just move my upgrade timeline up a year or two.

Reactions: JM91Six

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Look for the videos of "ArtIsRight" on Youtube on the MacBook Pro about 16 or 32 GB. Contrary to must reviews, for photography it makes a difference "when editing" photos if the computer has 16 or 32 GB. For anything else, including video, 16 GB is fine. He shows it in video with different new MacBok Pros (Pro and Max) and gives tips on how to decide what to get depending on your creative field.

Also, take note that if you open a program that uses 2 GB, and you then open a file within that program, that file is going to contribute to the overall RAM being used. Then, for example Photoshop (2 GB) + Photoshop File (2 GB) = 4 GB. (This example is, of course, an estimation)

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Express replacement?
Yes, sorry, I think I didn't explained it well, Apple has a "Express Replacement" program which is available for AppleCare+ and certain "Under warranty" conditions.

When Apple thought my unit was defective (it wasn't at the end) and since it was a configured/personalized order, they offered me a replacement with the chance to keep my current laptop till the new one arrives, at no extra cost and built/sent with higher priority, kinda similar to "Express Replacement", so I thought maybe, as yours is a configured order as well and if you're within the extended return period, maybe you can ask for an exchange to the 64GB one w/o having to deliver your 32GB unit till that one arrives. I'll call Apple to explore the options if you really feel the itch to go with 64GB.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks, really useful!
Yeah, me too, I wanna keep my stuff for longer time, I have a lenovo laptop for 2 years: 8GBs of DDR4 RAM and CoreI7 8550U; it bothers me now, and if I get a macbook pro, the difference will definitely surprise me so makes me keep it like forever!

I'll go for 32GB, it's unavailable now, I gotta wait
Yeah, go with 32GB, while using Docker it use a lot of RAM on macOS, it's terrible. I guess they need to virtualize everything. The basic M1 Pro with 32GB should be good to go for a while.

Reactions: th_mhmn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.