Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
So you are fine expending $200 extra to get the performance you were supposed to initially have?
Obviously yes, but with the benefit of double the storage space.

It’s not the same world it was in 2019. Chips change. I don’t think Apple is happy about the fact 256gb M2 macs are slower than 256gb M1 macs but honestly… get.over.it.

Either buy the 512gb model, buy a 14-inch MBP, put up with the slower speed on the 256gb, or buy an M1, but it’s ok, you can stop complaining about it now.

The slower speeds sucks, but that’s life. Choose your action to either deal with it or avoid the issue. Or buy a PC.

But enough with the complaints. It is what it is. At your deathbed, decades from now, you will NOT be lamenting the fact the M2 MBA with 256GB SSD and 8GB ram was slower than the M1 version.

If you will be, then that’s very sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Obviously yes, but with the benefit of double the storage space.

It’s not the same world it was in 2019. Chips change. I don’t think Apple is happy about the fact 256gb M2 macs are slower than 256gb M1 macs but honestly… get.over.it.

Either but the 512gb model, but a 14-inch MBP, put up with the slower speed on the 256gb, or buy an M1, but it’s ok, you can stop complaining about it now.

The slower speeds sucks, but that’s life. Choose your action to either deal with it or avoid the issue. Or buy a PC.

But enough with the complaints. It is what it is. At your deathbed, decades from now, you will NOT be lamenting the fact the M2 MBA with 256GB SSD and 8GB ram was slower than the M1 version.

If you will be, then that’s very sad.
Apple isn't happy? They are just happy as they maintain the M1 MBA with the proper setup and gimped their new Macs. So yeah, profit wise they are happy.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
Apple isn't happy? They are just happy as they maintain the M1 MBA with the proper setup and gimped their new Macs. So yeah, profit wise they are happy.
I doubt Apple is "happy" to see performance reduced. No-one else seems happy about it. But it is what it is. And you're doing yourself a favour to get the 512GB version if you plan to keep the unit for years to come. 128GB on Windows PCs is criminal, imagine the complaints if Apple was still doing that on Macs.

Apple is happy, it is unhappy, Apple knows what it is doing far better than you or me. You don't keep setting revenue records in a recession with massive supply constraints, European wars, Chinese shutdowns and more by being a hopeless company. Apple's pipeline of innovation pays for future products, and those revenues and profits come from people who voluntarily buy Apple's products, no-one forces you to buy Apple. It's pretty simple stuff. Economics 101.

I'm happy Apple makes profits because it ensures Apple stays in business, delivering great tech. There are downsides, there are upsides. Welcome to Life.

Reactions: jdb8167 and 1@@@

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I doubt Apple is "happy" to see performance reduced. No-one else seems happy about it. But it is what it is. And you're doing yourself a favour to get the 512GB version if you plan to keep the unit for years to come. 128GB on Windows PCs is criminal, imagine the complaints if Apple was still doing that on Macs.

Apple is happy, it is unhappy, Apple knows what it is doing far better than you or me. You don't keep setting revenue records in a recession with massive supply constraints, European wars, Chinese shutdowns and more by being a hopeless company. Apple's pipeline of innovation pays for future products, and those revenues and profits come from people who voluntarily buy Apple's products, no-one forces you to buy Apple. It's pretty simple stuff. Economics 101.

I'm happy Apple makes profits because it ensures Apple stays in business, delivering great tech. There are downsides, there are upsides. Welcome to Life.
They are happy about it as they simply choose to gimp it. There are no reasons fro having the M1 going 2x 128GB and the more advanced "flagship" M2 MBA gimped to just one 256GB chip.

This move reeks of profiteering, which obviously is the goal for Apple.

• Haha
Reactions: jdb8167

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
They are happy about it as they simply choose to gimp it. There are no reasons fro having the M1 going 2x 128GB and the more advanced "flagship" M2 MBA gimped to just one 256GB chip.

This move reeks of profiteering, which obviously is the goal for Apple.
A load of BS. Apple has huge expenses, hundreds of stores worldwide, tens of thousands of employees, massive costs to create all the tech it creates, huge expenses for everything. There's a reason why Apple is the premier maker of smartphone and computing tech, and the likes of Oppo, Xiaomi, RealMe etc fight out for profit margin slivers.

Please, tell us all here you don't know ANYTHING about Apple without telling us you don't know anything about Apple.

Carrying on about "profiteering" in a cut-throat world where Apple's competitors steal its IP and fight in the most underhanded of ways and yet people still VOLUNTARILY buy Apple's products and services over vastly cheaper competitors tells us all here that the everyday consumer is MUCH smarter than you.

Why are you even here, moaning about "profiteering"? Are you some kind of mindless, jealous troll who gets his or her kicks out of being a constant and endless Debbie Downer?

Apple's healthy profits ensure it has all the health it needs to keep on creating the future, to keep on innovating. Good luck doing that without healthy profits.

Obviously your goal is to s#!7 all over Apple for running a healthy business with off the scale customer sat that competitors can only dream of. Please, go back to your Chromebook, your Windows 11 device, your Android smartphone, and stop wasting everyone's time here. Thanks.

Reactions: 1@@@

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
He gets clicks and comments which is what YouTube is all about for making money.

I'd say he knows exactly what he's doing.
Oh, you can "succeed" by being a dong, we've known that since forever.

That doesn't make being a dong fine.

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
What we got here is an Apple sheep who is happy to pay $200 more for an additional slow 256GB storage, while you can buy 1TB Samsung SSD's that do over 6000MB/s for only $150.

As an Apple shareholder, thank you Apple sheep.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Sure buddy 😂

It is fine that you guys pay $200 for 256 GB (additional) storage that does only 3000MB/s. It is benefiting me indirectly.

But I'm not doing it. I will wait for the M3 MBA instead and pick up the hopefully fixed base model.

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022

It is fine that you guys pay $200 for 256 GB (additional) storage that does only 3000MB/s. It is benefiting me indirectly.

This approach is effectively a retreat in your rhetorical engagement with the rest of us.

It's like yelling "free speech" - you might be right, but people usually only deploy it for want of any better argument.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
This approach is effectively a retreat in your rhetorical engagement with the rest of us.

It's like yelling "free speech" - you might be right, but people usually only deploy it for want of any better argument.

I have heard the same arguments in other threads on MacRumors. “You should buy 16GB RAM instead of memory swapping.” “You should buy the 512GB model”

In the end of the day, I don’t want to pay those type of prices for a MacBook Air, I’d rather pay a bit more for the 14” then.

So best I can do is just wait for the M3 MBA rather than going into the same arguments again which has no point.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What we got here is an Apple sheep who is happy to pay $200 more for an additional slow 256GB storage, while you can buy 1TB Samsung SSD's that do over 6000MB/s for only $150.

I don't understand - am I supposed to interpret this as some sort of insult?

What issue do you have with other people choosing how they want to spend their money?

Apple's ecosystem is designed around people that easily spend money. It's a common trope around here that Apple gear is overpriced (which I disagree with) but given that, and their financials which are unlike any other comparable company, you can only conclude that Apple buyers spend money - a lot of it. 

I'm end-to-end Apple gear. A lot of the people around me are as well. I don't want to mess around with cobbling some system together, deal with any more accounts than I already have (200+ passwords in my 1Password - welcome to adulthood), or deal with security issues. I work hard and make decent money, and at this point in my life, I want things to be easy more than I want them to be cheap.

I am not in the least bit ashamed to admit that I am Apple's target market. So what if I can get a cheaper windows laptop with more ram or storage? I literally don't care. There is no other windows laptop in the market as thin or as light as the M2 MBA, or with as long battery life, or with the performance we have come to expect of M1 / M2, or with the system integration with all my other Apple products, or the build quality.

This is what Apple does best. They rarely beat competitors on the bullet list, but when it comes to getting the experience right for the consumer, they're often unbeatable. They make great hardware, further add value with custom software that either isn't available on windows or has to be cobbled together with a bunch of third party apps, and they play the system integration game better than anyone else, and if it costs a few bucks more, I'm happy to pay it.

And if it means more money for Apple and a higher share price or more dividends for their shareholders, again, I really don't care. If that makes me a "sheep", then consider it a badge of honour I shall wear with pride henceforth. 😊

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
I have heard the same arguments in other threads on MacRumors. “You should buy 16GB RAM instead of memory swapping.” “You should buy the 512GB model”

In the end of the day, I don’t want to pay those type of prices for a MacBook Air, I’d rather pay a bit more for the 14” then.

So best I can do is just wait for the M3 MBA rather than going into the same arguments again which has no point.
You've misunderstood me here, if that's what you think I'm saying.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
So you are fine expending $200 extra to get the performance you were supposed to initially have?
Yep, I would be fine because I’d be getting 512gb in return, good for the future. As it is I have purchased the 10/24/1TB MBA M2 model so I’m not mucking around, and I want the lighter MBA weight.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
I don't understand - am I supposed to interpret this as some sort of insult?

What issue do you have with other people choosing how they want to spend their money?

Apple's ecosystem is designed around people that easily spend money. It's a common trope around here that Apple gear is overpriced (which I disagree with) but given that, and their financials which are unlike any other comparable company, you can only conclude that Apple buyers spend money - a lot of it. 

I'm end-to-end Apple gear. A lot of the people around me are as well. I don't want to mess around with cobbling some system together, deal with any more accounts than I already have (200+ passwords in my 1Password - welcome to adulthood), or deal with security issues. I work hard and make decent money, and at this point in my life, I want things to be easy more than I want them to be cheap.

I am not in the least bit ashamed to admit that I am Apple's target market. So what if I can get a cheaper windows laptop with more ram or storage? I literally don't care. There is no other windows laptop in the market as thin or as light as the M2 MBA, or with as long battery life, or with the performance we have come to expect of M1 / M2, or with the system integration with all my other Apple products, or the build quality.

This is what Apple does best. They rarely beat competitors on the bullet list, but when it comes to getting the experience right for the consumer, they're often unbeatable. They make great hardware, further add value with custom software that either isn't available on windows or has to be cobbled together with a bunch of third party apps, and they play the system integration game better than anyone else, and if it costs a few bucks more, I'm happy to pay it.

And if it means more money for Apple and a higher share price or more dividends for their shareholders, again, I really don't care. If that makes me a "sheep", then consider it a badge of honour I shall wear with pride henceforth. 😊
+1000000. Absolutely spot on, Abazigal gets it and tells us they know a LOT about Apple while telling us they know a LOT about Apple.

• Love
Reactions: Abazigal

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015

The additional 256GB makes for 512GB that isn’t slow.

There’s also value in having more on board storage, less need to carry around extra drives.

As an Apple shareholder, you seem to be quite unappreciative of people who buy better quality computing products from Apple.

A base MBA M2 is still better than the vast majority of similarly sized laptops on the market, and works perfectly within Apple’s hyper-extensive market of first and third party products and accessories, the envy of every competitor and even every company on the planet.

You’re just one shareholder amongst the many others, vastly outnumbered by Apple customers who have something even better and infinitely more useful than even Apple shares… and that’s Apple products.

If you have both, then great. Good for you. Wish I could say the same.

If you think anyone that chooses 512GB or more on their MBA M2 models, or any other upgrade, is being a sheep, that’s up to you. It’s also their choice.

To berate them all as sheep is both elitist and offensive. Being an Apple shareholder doesn’t make you the boss of anyone except yourself.

Sad you feel the way you do, but it’s a free world, if that’s how you want to feel about it, that’s your right.

Good luck and hope things get better for us all and Apple comes to its senses to make 512GB standard and fixes all the other flaws people say Apple has in this perfect world for you that you want us all to live in where we’re all sheep and you profit. Good luck with that, Apple shareholder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple is stunningly profitable so its not like they have to cut corners to keep shareholders happy. So far the reaction to the M chips has been extremely positive, so Apple isn't happy about any dings in that regard.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
Apple is stunningly profitable so its not like they have to cut corners to keep shareholders happy. So far the reaction to the M chips has been extremely positive, so Apple isn't happy about any dings in that regard.
Ding ding ding, another winner! Well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.