Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Hello everyone. I’m still using a 2016 MacBook Pro, which is about to die (random freezes, boot not always smooth, etc) and I’m looking to buy a new MacBook.

I mainly use it for basic stuff like browsing he web, content watching and so but I also use it for WFH, using VMware with a windows (uhfff) virtual machine remote desktop . I don’t think this is too demanding on the system, but still…

So, I’ve been looking at the Air and the new Pros. Will I miss a lot if I pick the Air (now, with M2)? Should I buy up and get a Pro with M3? Should I wait until (perhaps March) and get an Air with M3?
I will get a machine with 16gb ram, that’s for sure…I just don’t know if I should wait or not for the air M3 or hit the bullet and get the current system. Or spend more and get the Pro.
What would you do for this case scenario?
I plan on keeping the machine for 6 or 8 years.

Thank you.

Last edited:

SteveOm

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
First identify if the Windows applications you use in your current VM have identical ARM Windows counterparts (perfect) or usually run okay in ARM Windows. Your 2016 runs an Intel chip and both Mac and Windows on it also run on Intel chips. The ARM version of Windows does a good but not perfect job of emulating Intel software. For example, I have to keep an old Mac around to run one Windows program on VMWare (Adobe FrameMaker). The installer absolutely fails on VMWare Fusion 13 with the latest ARM Windows on my M2 MacBook Pro.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
First identify if the Windows applications you use in your current VM have identical ARM Windows counterparts (perfect) or usually run okay in ARM Windows. Your 2016 runs an Intel chip and both Mac and Windows on it also run on Intel chips. The ARM version of Windows does a good but not perfect job of emulating Intel software. For example, I have to keep an old Mac around to run one Windows program on VMWare (Adobe FrameMaker). The installer absolutely fails on VMWare Fusion 13 with the latest ARM Windows on my M2 MacBook Pro.
The windows environment runs on the server, not on the machine. I can even use it on my iPad (with a slightly different interface).

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Save some money and buy a refurbished M2 in the Apple store.
That’s a good idea, but I need to buy a machine with a specific keyboard layout (pt-pt), from the store in the country where I’m currently in (not Portugal). So I’ll need to buy new.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The windows environment runs on the server, not on the machine. I can even use it on my iPad (with a slightly different interface).
Sounds like you are connecting to a Windows system via a remote desktop solution, not running Windows in a Virtual Machine (VM) on your Mac. Two very different things.

Yes, remote desktop will work on Apple Silicon.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Sounds like you are connecting to a Windows system via a remote desktop solution, not running Windows in a Virtual Machine (VM) on your Mac. Two very different things.

Yes, remote desktop will work on Apple Silicon.
You’re right. Sorry, too late here and super tired. Thought about one thing and wrote another ahah.
Thanks for the reply

SteveOm

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
For Remote Desktop and your other requirements an M2 Air will be well more than enough. A new Pro is just overspending unless you really really like the screen or the speakers. Some people really find the visual and audio experience to be awesome with the 14 and 16 Pros.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
For Remote Desktop and your other requirements an M2 Air will be well more than enough. A new Pro is just overspending unless you really really like the screen or the speakers. Some people really find the visual and audio experience to be awesome with the 14 and 16 Pros.
I thought so too. I’m just picturing a scenario where macOS will stop supporting M2 sooner than M3 (hence me thinking of the M3 base Pro). I know the Air M2 (even the M1) would be ok. I don’t care for the screen nor the speakers as it’ll be 90% of the time connected to a Studio Display.

Thank you.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I agree you don't need a Pro to meet your processing requirements. Just be aware that the base M chips (Air, base MBP) only drive one external display (it's actually two total, but the laptop display counts as one). So if you want to run dual externals, you'll need an M# Pro.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I agree you don't need a Pro to meet your processing requirements. Just be aware that the base M chips (Air, base MBP) only drive one external display (it's actually two total, but the laptop display counts as one). So if you want to run dual externals, you'll need an M# Pro.
I only use one external display (the ASD). A M# Pro would be too much for my needs. Thank you for your input.

Reactions: theorist9

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Any Apple Silicon Mac should be more than enough for this. I've the M1 Air and M2 Pro, and both are really fast, capable machines that will easily cope with your basic tasks.

Reactions: Zorori and dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Any Apple Silicon Mac should be more than enough for this. I've the M1 Air and M2 Pro, and both are really fast, capable machines that will easily cope with your basic tasks.
Yes, I can imagine. I considered the M1, but I’m afraid I’ll just save money now to spend more later on, when they stop supporting it earlier than the M2. I keep my laptops for as long as I can (contrary to what I do with my phone 😅) and I guess I should spend a bit more now and “know” I’ll be able to get updates for a longer period.

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Yes, I can imagine. I considered the M1, but I’m afraid I’ll just save money now to spend more later on, when they stop supporting it earlier than the M2. I keep my laptops for as long as I can (contrary to what I do with my phone 😅) and I guess I should spend a bit more now and “know” I’ll be able to get updates for a longer period.

Yes, that's a good point. Whilst I love my M1 Air, which is my favourite laptop ever, it's three years old now. If I was buying a new machine, I'd probably be considering the 15" M2 Air.

Reactions: dexterie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.