Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
As it says in the title, I'm stuck between at 14" M3 Max (binned) and a 16" M3 Pro (full bore).

My primary use case is Software Development, but I'm not working on massive data operations. The main thing I'm concerned about is having enough memory, so 36" is my target memory configuration, and I'm totally willing to stick with 512GB storage.

Given those constraints, the price difference between the 12-core M3 Pro and the 14-core M3 Max is about the same as the difference between the 16" and the 14" models. These are about at the limit of my budget.

14" M3 Max - 14-core - 36GB/512GB - $2999
16" M3 Pro - 12-core - 36GB/512GB - $2899

(Full disclosure, I already have the 16" -- this would be a matter of return + reorder)

Reasons to want the 14":
  • Portability. I have a 14" M1 Pro and it's quite a bit more light and compact.
  • Most of the time, I'm docked and working on two external monitors (wide and tall orientation). The MBP is sitting to the side as my third monitor.
  • Significant CPU increase over the M3 Pro.
Reasons to want the 16":
  • I really like the 16" screen. I have a 14" M1 Pro and the screen real estate difference is significant.
  • Most of the time, I'm docked and working on two external monitors, so the portability of the smaller laptop is irrelevant.
  • Larger battery
  • Better cooling. I've heard anecdotes of throttling and runaway fans on 14" max models.
  • My work involves quick cycles of build/deploy/test, which are typically not huge CPU activities, so a CPU increase may not be a huge factor in my workload.
So I guess it comes down to: does my need for a small laptop (nice when traveling) and big brain CPU beat out my need for a big screen (also nice when traveling) and more refined power management?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I highlighted my responses to each item in red.

Reasons to want the 14":
  • Portability. I have a 14" M1 Pro and it's quite a bit more light and compact. [If it's mostly docked, as noted below, then why not get an M2 Ultra Mac Studio? Otherwise it sounds like you value a machine you can take with you, so I would go with 14"]
  • Most of the time, I'm docked and working on two external monitors (wide and tall orientation). The MBP is sitting to the side as my third monitor. [In my experience the MBP monitor when docked is usually just used for messaging and email apps while using the bigger displays for work, I doubt the screen size will make much difference in that regard if that is also true for you]
  • Significant CPU increase over the M3 Pro. [Bingo, but it seems like you might not need it]
Reasons to want the 16":
  • I really like the 16" screen. I have a 14" M1 Pro and the screen real estate difference is significant. [Like you said, you'll mainly use it docked, so either get a Mac Studio or something more portable, IMO]
  • Most of the time, I'm docked and working on two external monitors, so the portability of the smaller laptop is irrelevant. [Until you need to take it with you]
  • Larger battery [While 18 video 12 web vs. 22 video 15 web is significant, how often are you going to be using your MacBook Pro over 10 hours without charging?]
  • Better cooling. I've heard anecdotes of throttling and runaway fans on 14" max models. [I would take a throttled M3 Max over a fully powered M3 Pro any day, will still beat it out, will just be loud for those bursts]
  • My work involves quick cycles of build/deploy/test, which are typically not huge CPU activities, so a CPU increase may not be a huge factor in my workload. [CPU can make a decent impact on build times, but if you're not building complex apps, then it may not matter either way]
Honestly it kinda sounds like you would be good with a 14" M3 Pro and you could save some money in the process. I was in a similar boat as I do dev but also some design stuff in Adobe CC and photography stuff (only a hobby nowadays) in LR editing, including using AI apps like Topaz to clean up noise, motion blur, increase resolution on some of my older photos that I pull out of my archives in my spare time, etc. The 14" M3 Pro would've been fine for me, except I wanted more than 36GB RAM for all the multitasking I do, as it's not unheard of for me to have all of the above apps and more open at the same time, along with a hundred browser tabs in different browsers because I'm a mad man and need to test sites for work. But if all you need is 36GB, then I really think you should just save the money and do the 14" M3 Pro.

Reactions: richinaus

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I'm stuck between at 14" M3 Max (binned) and a 16" M3 Pro (full bore)

Happy to learn that the 16" M3 Pro (12/18) is "full bore"...I presume that
means it is unbinned or not had any of its capabilities inactivated.

I have always had laptops in the 13" range but this time I am sold on the bigger screen.
Reason: it feels more impressive (in all parameters) and I rarely lug my laptop around.
I am going for the exact configuration that you are.

Reactions: kp98077

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
I highlighted my responses to each item in red.

Reasons to want the 14":
  • Portability. I have a 14" M1 Pro and it's quite a bit more light and compact. [If it's mostly docked, as noted below, then why not get an M2 Ultra Mac Studio? Otherwise it sounds like you value a machine you can take with you, so I would go with 14"]
Did I mention my budget? Also, some level of portability is a given (which forum is this? :))
  • Most of the time, I'm docked and working on two external monitors (wide and tall orientation). The MBP is sitting to the side as my third monitor. [In my experience the MBP monitor when docked is usually just used for messaging and email apps while using the bigger displays for work, I doubt the screen size will make much difference in that regard if that is also true for you]
Exactly. So the bigger screen is really only a benefit when I'm on the go. That's not never, but I guess I need to decide if it’s never enough.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you would be good with a 14" M3 Pro and you could save some money in the process.
Hmm...I hadn't really thought about doubling up on the compromises. I’ll consider that option as well, but I’m mainly trying to get the most value out of my $3k. To me, that leads me to these two options.

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Happy to learn that the 16" M3 Pro (12/18) is "full bore"...I presume that
means it is unbinned or not had any of its capabilities inactivated.
Yes. I meant unbinned.

I have always had laptops in the 13" range but this time I am sold on the bigger screen.
Reason: it feels more impressive (in all parameters) and I rarely lug my laptop around.
I am going for the exact configuration that you are.
Thanks. I know what you mean. The 16” feels like a grown up laptop.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Am in the same boat.

Have two external monitors would use hooked to dock most of the time. The laptop itself would rarely leave the house. I do think the 16 might be a bit better when using on the couch or in bed but I’m not sure.

I have a 14 already from work and it’s nice.

Tough choice between 16 or 14.

Reactions: kp98077

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Am in the same boat.

Have two external monitors would use hooked to dock most of the time. The laptop itself would rarely leave the house. I do think the 16 might be a bit better when using on the couch or in bed but I’m not sure.

I have a 14 already from work and it’s nice.

Tough choice between 16 or 14.
Just picked up my 14" base M3 Max order. Sold off my 16" M1 Max. The MBP 16 was plenty of power but it took up too much space on my desk and was cumbersome to use on the couch. Typically I like to prop the MacBook on the armrest, like I used to do with my M1 Air, but it's just not comfortable doing so with the massive 16". I don't need the extra screen size when docked and plugged into my 43" 4K monitor and would much rather have the portability and comfort back. Glad the MBP 16 is going to a good home.

Reactions: Mity

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Just picked up my 14" base M3 Max order. Sold off my 16" M1 Max. The MBP 16 was plenty of power but it took up too much space on my desk and was cumbersome to use on the couch. Typically I like to prop the MacBook on the armrest, like I used to do with my M1 Air, but it's just not comfortable doing so with the massive 16". I don't need the extra screen size when docked and plugged into my 43" 4K monitor and would much rather have the portability and comfort back. Glad the MBP 16 is going to a good home.
Black or Silver?

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
After exclusively silver MacBooks since 2015 I had to get the new black this time around. If Apple didn't introduce this new color I probably wouldn't have upgraded for just the new chip.
I already own a black Lenovo so I’m leaning more to silver.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I am a developer with an M2 Max 14”. I’ve never had any throttling from development activities.

Either the 14 or 16 would work for you. I don’t think there is a bad choice here at all.

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
I am a developer with an M2 Max 14”. I’ve never had any throttling from development activities.

Either the 14 or 16 would work for you. I don’t think there is a bad choice here at all.
Circling back to this thread, I decided to go with the 14” Max. I bought both and am returning the 16. It was a hard decision, because you’re right: there is no bad choice.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Circling back to this thread, I decided to go with the 14” Max. I bought both and am returning the 16. It was a hard decision, because you’re right: there is no bad choice.
What was your deciding factor? If you had no budget would you have gone with 16" Max?

Last edited:

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
What was your deciding factor? If you had no budget would you have gone with 16" Max?

Maybe, or I would’ve gotten more memory and storage. The world is full of compromises and trade offs. Increasing capability comes with mounting costs and diminishing returns. For my purpose, I felt that the benefit of the increased portability and better processor outweighed the benefit of the bigger screen and battery.

There’s a reason why apple makes 84 variations of these devices.

Reactions: davewolfs

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the 2019 16" which TBH I'm not looking to replace yet (just had a screen replacement under AC+ and I have 2TB storage and 64GB RAM)

BUT I did go into the Apple Store to determine if I'd go 16 again or 14... I'd for 16 again for sure, and would probably take an M2 refurbished to go 16 and spend more money on bumping the memory up at least to 32GB.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014

What are you thoughts after having owned the 14" M3 Max? Did you make the right decision or do wish you had gone with the 16" M3 Max? How often do you hear the fans? Do you hear them when you're coding? YouTube is full of reviewers doing benchmarks but I will never be video editing. Just software dev work.

Reactions: drrich2

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
What are you thoughts after having owned the 14" M3 Max? Did you make the right decision or do wish you had gone with the 16" M3 Max? How often do you hear the fans? Do you hear them when you're coding? YouTube is full of reviewers doing benchmarks but I will never be video editing. Just software dev work.
Almost 6 months later and the 14" M3 Max is still the undisputed correct choice for me. Even though I work from home I take the 14" throughout the house and outside to the sunroom. Docking it back at my desk one-handed I am often reminded it was the right call for me and absolutely no regrets returning the 16".

I have to think really hard to recall whether I've ever heard the fans on the 14". I distinctly recall the 14" M3 Max was quieter than the 16" M2 Max I briefly tested when performing the same 300-photo batch processing in DxO PhotoLab 6. I can confidently say fan noise has not been an issue for my daily use, and certainly inaudible when working with Python, Java, Docker, etc. I love my 14" MBP and take it to my daughter's school to volunteer-teach Python to middle schoolers. I prop the 14" on a small shelf next to the classroom smartboard and am glad I don't have to deal with a 16-incher.

Reactions: drrich2 and Mity

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the 2019 16" which TBH I'm not looking to replace yet (just had a screen replacement under AC+ and I have 2TB storage and 64GB RAM)

BUT I did go into the Apple Store to determine if I'd go 16 again or 14... I'd for 16 again for sure, and would probably take an M2 refurbished to go 16 and spend more money on bumping the memory up at least to 32GB.

Circling back to this.... decided to jump ship from intel and went for the 16" unbinned M3 Max with 1TB and 48GB RAM in silver. Got it from the Apple refurb and it's like new. Well pleased.

Last edited:

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
I'd go for a 16--you are already spending a lot, and you might as well get the bigger screen. Also, having looked at a 14 recently in the store, I kind of hate it. It feels chintzy, and the screen resolution was weirdly eye-straining.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'd go for a 16--you are already spending a lot, and you might as well get the bigger screen. Also, having looked at a 14 recently in the store, I kind of hate it. It feels chintzy, and the screen resolution was weirdly eye-straining.
Personally I also have a 12.9 ipad pro which fulfils that "smaller device" role.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
I'd go for a 16--you are already spending a lot, and you might as well get the bigger screen.
You have no idea how much I've been thinking about this. If you (almost) fully spec them out, the price difference between the 14" and 16" is only $400ish. With this small of a delta, I'm trying to determine if having better cooling and a larger display is better than the mobility that the 14" offers.

Also, I spent a lot of time in the Apple Store typing on both keyboards and my palms rest perfectly on the 14" model but the huge trackpad of the 16" makes it awkward to use the laptop. Not an easy thing for me to determine if I'm spending this much money.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Oh definitely, the palm rest on the 14 is much more comfortable than the 16 for me too. I understand it's difficult passing up the 16" for a relatively few hundred dollars more, but ultimately if I'm paying that much money for a laptop then I want to make sure I have the right size. To me, the extra cooling and screen area on the 16 is a moot point if I loathe taking it with me.

As to an earlier post about the 12.9 iPad fulfilling the smaller device need, that's also a nope for me. I have an M1 12.9 iPad Pro and tried to make it a laptop but it just doesn't work for my needs. I need real MacOS, so the 14 M3 Max was the best fit for me. The build quality on the Space Black 14 is every bit as good as the 16. Get what meets your needs. When docked at my desk the 14 MBP is connected to my 43" monitor but when I need to be mobile I'm relieved to have the 14 and not my previous 16 MBP.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I have a 2019 16‘ MBP , my daughter has a 14' M1 Pro MBP, and we both have an external 27' monitor at home. when I upgrade my current 16' MBP, I prefer 14' more. 16' is bit too big for travel or take out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.