Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dav1d_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2023
By the way, maybe it’s just the way the picture was taken, but it seems like the M2 Pro screen (left) is actually whiter and more uniform than the new M3 Pro screen (right) which seems to have a yellowish area towards the left edge and a reddish/pinkish area towards the right edge. Is that true in real life?

That was indeed just this particular picture, screen of the M3 Pro is fantastic and also a bit brighter than the M2 Pro (all as expected).

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
That was indeed just this particular picture, screen of the M3 Pro is fantastic and also a bit brighter than the M2 Pro (all as expected).
I’m glad it is that way and you’re happy with the device!

I’m a bit obsessed with the white uniformity of screens on expensive devices such as Apple products, and I also hate when a screen looks yellowish. I like the screens to be pretty white, better if they are cool white, although my SE 3 has a warmer/reddish screen and I love it as well, because in a small 4.7” screen I honestly don’t mind.

I wanted to reiterate to you one more time that those benchmarks between your two machines are very useful for people wondering which one to get, especially on the M3 Pro models where they have less performance cores but higher battery life. Not only for the future MacBook Pro buyers, but also for those like me who are considering a future refreshed Mac mini. So, thanks again!

Reactions: Dav1d_B

Dom1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2023
You’d be surprised if you did some rasterization benchmarks. The base M3 pro is not by much but consistently slower than the base M2 Pro. My work machine the base m2 pro is getting replaced with the base m3 pro and i had a bit of time to play around with benchmarks, I was very surprised to say the least. I saw as big as 40% slower but let’s chalk that up to new drivers. But this wasn’t the case when M2 machines launched, day one performance on my M2 Pro is basically the exact same as now

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

quinnr

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
Good idea - here you go: M3 Pro reading speeds considerably (!) faster across the board.
This is because the Macbook Pro for M3 added the 2 SSD chips, while for the Macbook Pro M2 lineup, you need to upgrade to the 1TB version. If you, or someone, could benchmark the M2 Pro 1TB SSD version with the M3 Pro, they should be pretty much identical.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This is because the Macbook Pro for M3 added the 2 SSD chips, while for the Macbook Pro M2 lineup, you need to upgrade to the 1TB version. If you, or someone, could benchmark the M2 Pro 1TB SSD version with the M3 Pro, they should be pretty much identical.
I thought the only model with just one NAND chip was the entry level 256GB M2.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Its impressive what Apple has done with the M3 pro. Here they show what the new SoC can do compared to the last gen and the new node
To take away some performance cores but be better performing while having even better battery life...
With M3 Max..they add ...but with the M3 Pro they removed and still better

mrskill

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
14” MacBook Pro with Apple M2 Pro
16GB Unified Memory
10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU
512 GB SSD Storage

Cinebench 2024:
M2 Pro CPU Test: 801 (Multi-Core), 121 (Single-Core)

M2 Pro GPU Test: 2876
Thank so much for the results! May I ask how much battery Cinebench 2024 consumed while doing Multicore test on the M2 Pro? Mine consumed about 10% per 10 minutes (1 run) I have 100% battery health. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.