Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
I have received my new 11 M4 iPad Pro. To me it seems like the screen somehow “flickers” a little bit compared to every other Apple device I have owned. Also having the iPhone 15 Pro, I think this display looks a lot more comfortable to look at, and don’t give any eye constraints compared to the new iPad Pro.

Seeing what everyone’s writing about the new OLED displays, I can’t figure out if it is a screen issue on my panel, or just “how the new OLEDs are”?

Can anyone compare their screen to their iPhone’s OLED and see if they see any difference, like eye constrains or “flickering”. With flickering I mean it reminds me of old CRT TV screens, just not as extreme.

My iPad’s battery is also from March 2024, so it is maybe also one of the oldest product units, if that could play a role.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I have received my new 11 M4 iPad Pro. To me it seems like the screen somehow “flickers” a little bit compared to every other Apple device I have owned. Also having the iPhone 15 Pro, I think this display looks a lot more comfortable to look at, and don’t give any eye constraints compared to the new iPad Pro.

Seeing what everyone’s writing about the new OLED displays, I can’t figure out if it is a screen issue on my panel, or just “how the new OLEDs are”?

Can anyone compare their screen to their iPhone’s OLED and see if they see any difference, like eye constrains or “flickering”. With flickering I mean it reminds me of old CRT TV screens, just not as extreme.

My iPad’s battery is also from March 2024, so it is maybe also one of the oldest product units, if that could play a role.
I have not noticed any flickering whatsoever on my 13 inch but I checked my battery manufacture date and it was also March 2024, which is probably when they started producing the new IPP units, but that should not have anything to do with it. I would say if you have any concerns I would say go into your Support app and if there is an Apple Store near you schedule a genius appointment so they can look at it and if they see that what you are saying is true, you would be best to return your iPad to wherever you purchased it and buy another one before you pass up your two return window but that’s just my opinion. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
No flickering here. That doesn’t sound right. If you can get to an Apple Store and try out an 11” there, then you can see if there’s a difference.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
If you can see the flickering/PWM then you have an uncanny ability. Supposedly these new OLEDs have a slower frequency for PWM but then again so do the 15 Pros. A higher frequency, the less likely you’ll be bothered but issues…sometimes it takes a little bit of adjustment though with bursts of short usage at first.

If it still persists by the return window then you might need to sit this generation out.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I see something like that at low brightness levels (~25%) on my 11” M4 (March 2024 as well). I suspect that it’s temporal dithering. It’s subtle, but noticeable enough for me to be distracting when watching video at low brightness. It looks like a flickering very fine-grained pixel noise. This is compared to my Samsung OLED Tab S6, which doesn’t have that issue.

The Samsung has “bad” PWM at lower brightness (reportedly as low as 240 Hz), which however I’m apparently not sensitive to, and therefore I conclude that what I’m seeing on the iPad is not PWM.

Maybe tandem OLED requires more dithering at low brightness levels.

Last edited:

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Flickering on my 11" :(

Edit: Specifically, happens often during games, occasionally while watching video (YT, Max, etc) and never while doing anything else.

Last edited:

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hey guys. Sorry for my late answer, but I would like to give you a heads up on what I ended up doing.

I ended up a day before the 14-days return policy ended to return my iPad for a replacement unit as the screen didn’t feel better after using it for the first 14 days.

Interestingly the new unit I got seems much better than the old one. No constrain for my eyes at all. I got the replacement unit before they picked up the old one so I could also compare them side by side and even if though the screen quality seemed the same, the new one didn’t give the same constrain.

My new unit was manufactured in May (the old in March) if we look at the battery.

Not sure if it is placebo or something else. But the new one feels like it should be. I have also had OLED iPhones since iPhone X and never got issues or eye constrain with these.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Thanks fo the update. My manufacturing date is March, and no issues or flickering with my 11” screen FWIW.

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014
My iPad Pro M4 11” flickers a lot during movies (especially looking at the solid colors backgrounds), but it stops when i pause it… so i think it’s something related to image managinag and not a panel defect. Also iPhone 14 pro shows something similar, but not the old iPad with LCD display. It’s something related to the technology?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
My iPad Pro M4 11” flickers a lot during movies (especially looking at the solid colors backgrounds), but it stops when i pause it… so i think it’s something related to image managinag and not a panel defect. Also iPhone 14 pro shows something similar, but not the old iPad with LCD display. It’s something related to the technology?

I suspect it has something to do with the specific movie file you're watching. Did you try watching a different movie from a different source and with a different app? I have watched several TV shows on my M4 11" already and never noticed that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.