Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
With ARM coming to the macs, do you think the mac would become like iOS where apps and games can only be downloaded from the app store ?

Maybe not Big Sur, but maybe 2-3 Major OS updates in the future when Apple drops Rosetta 2 support, any thoughts ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No, I don't see this happening. Or if it does it has nothing to do with the architecture of the CPU. If Apple choose to do this it's driven by their philosophy of what the OS should be able to do. I'd also say if Apple do this they will lose a lot of developers, technology professionals and other who really drive a positive mind share for their products.

Reactions: Tankmaze

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is adobe in the MAS?

They already mentioned that creative suite is being ported to Apple, so if they're not in the MAS, then its likely forcing all developers into the MAS isn't in the cards right now.

With that said, there's too much unknown with the move to ARM, so any talk will be pure speculation and If Apple does force developers to MAS, I wouldn't be surprised.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is adobe in the MAS?

They already mentioned that creative suite is being ported to Apple, so if they're not in the MAS, then its likely forcing all developers into the MAS isn't in the cards right now.

With that said, there's too much unknown with the move to ARM, so any talk will be pure speculation and If Apple does force developers to MAS, I wouldn't be surprised.
I can only find Elements and Lightroom In the app store.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've been concerned about that too, but I realize that it's probably not going to happen.

The Mac is a developer platform. Developer platforms need to be able to run arbitrary code. Life will be very difficult for developers otherwise.

Also, they're talking about continuing to allow virtualization, which by definition requires an open operating system.

So... that little nagging worry is there, but realistically we probably have nothing to worry about. My reasons for disliking the ARM transition are mostly about losing compatibility with the rest of the PC industry. :(

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
All good points, I agree.

I hope that too, when all Apple products is in the same architecture the one that differentiate mac would be their development platform and able to do things like it always do.

I'm thinking this is because all iOS & iPad apps would become available to the mac but what about mac ability to download apps from anywhere become available for the iphones & ipads.

Android has this ability to download apps outside their play store, maybe the same thing could happen with iOS & iPadOS in the future.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
One of the WWDC videos talked about how Intel apps will be translated on first launch if not installed via the App Store (if they are from the App Store then they'll be translated upon installation). This indicates that at least non-Arm apps can still be installed from anywhere. I'd imagine that Arm apps can be too, otherwise it'll confuse customers.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
With ARM coming to the macs, do you think the mac would become like iOS where apps and games can only be downloaded from the app store ?

Maybe not Big Sur, but maybe 2-3 Major OS updates in the future when Apple drops Rosetta 2 support, any thoughts ?

The answer is no. Apple has repeatedly said this. Most recently on the Talk Show.

raftman

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
No, that will never be possible, it would cause so many problems. For example they would have to remove Finder access to all the files related to the OS, and application “package contents” which would be unacceptable. It would make the Mac useless for most professionals and programmers.

Although, they could create an iPadOS based laptop I suppose?

Reactions: mr_jomo and jdb8167

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
First of all, Apple never uses the term "laptop." It is always "notebook."

That said, there are probably notebook computers running iPadOS in a secret lab somewhere in Cupertino. There are probably tablets running macOS in a nearby lab in Cupertino.

The ability of Apple to release such a product is uninteresting. The answer is they probably can.

There is probably little chance that Apple would do so. That's the more important discussion and one that doesn't bode well for those who live in a certain dreamworld.

Reactions: mr_jomo

raftman

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
First of all, Apple never uses the term "laptop." It is always "notebook."

That said, there are probably notebook computers running iPadOS in a secret lab somewhere in Cupertino. There are probably tablets running macOS in a nearby lab in Cupertino.

The ability of Apple to release such a product is uninteresting. The answer is they probably can.

There is probably little chance that Apple would do so. That's the more important discussion and one that doesn't bode well for those who live in a certain dreamworld.

I’m just saying one day we might see a laptop (notebook) format with a “walled garden” App Store. But the walled garden could never exist on the entire Mac lineup.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Maybe. When I have three or four marbles rolling upstairs in my head.

It won't be next year, nor the year after that or even five years away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.