Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Has anybody else experienced issues with their 2018 Mac mini rebooting unexpectedly?
I could be in the middle of a design and the Mac locks up for a second and then reboots itself.

Initially, I thought it was an issue with thermals as the Mac was getting very hot to the touch but the last few times it's happened I haven't noticed any excessive heat.

I've noticed this happening on average about twice per week. My machine was BTO and the config is:

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 (See below)
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)
I upgraded the RAM to 32GB my self using some Crucial memory.

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Put the factory RAM back in and try it that way for a while...
I considered trying this but thought I'd ask first. If I could identify an issue without taking the machine apart again, I could save myself some downtime.

I have the same config, the same ram. But no issues.

Did you upgrade your now ram? If so, what brand did you use?

i had the problem that the memory was getting too hot, thus triggering a thermal protection shutdown.
i had the Kingston HyperX Impact SO-DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL20-22-22 (HX432S20IBK2/32) kit installed.
Exchanged it with some simple micron memory meeting the specs and it works like a charm since then.

Maybe the memory then. I have Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266 in there a the minute. I will revert back to stock memory for some time and if all goes well, I will swap out for the memory you've mentioned you're using. Can you provide me with a link to a product page for your memory? I've tried Amazon (I'm based in the UK) and I didn't get any results.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Maybe the memory then. I have Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266 in there a the minute. I will revert back to stock memory for some time and if all goes well, I will swap out for the memory you've mentioned you're using. Can you provide me with a link to a product page for your memory? I've tried Amazon (I'm based in the UK) and I didn't get any results.

That has a different code from the memory that Crucial recommends. The photo below, from Crucial's web site, shows what it recommends:

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 11.26.57 AM.png

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Did you upgrade your now ram? If so, what brand did you use?

I did upgrade my ram. Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266, same as you. Per Microns response to several questions on amazon this is indeed fully compatible with the 2018 mac mini.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I did upgrade my ram. Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266, same as you. Per Microns response to several questions on amazon this is indeed fully compatible with the 2018 mac mini.

Sure enough, Micron does say, in response to Amazon questions, that the memory with that code will work.

Here is the Crucial page that shows that memory: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2k16g4sfd8266

When you check compatibility on that page with the 2018 Mac mini, you get a positive response, but the info that comes up is for CT13492047.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I have the base i3 version, and this has happened to me when using Android Studio, trying to use an emulator to test an app. The computer will freeze and you'll here it click, screen goes black and it just reboots itself. Then you get the window saying that an unexpected shutdown occurred...

Reactions: ElectronGuru

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Has anybody ordered their RAM directly from the Crucial website using their "Compatible Upgrades" tool? Their ram is a lot cheaper than the alternative Micron memory which is available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micron-MTA...odimm+2666&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZaL+9b0cL&ref=plSrch

I think I may try direct from crucial first, before paying an extra £100 on RAM. For what it's worth, I might as well have upgraded from the factory!

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Has anybody ordered their RAM directly from the Crucial website using their "Compatible Upgrades" tool? Their ram is a lot cheaper than the alternative Micron memory which is available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micron-MTA...odimm+2666&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZaL+9b0cL&ref=plSrch

I think I may try direct from crucial first, before paying an extra £100 on RAM. For what it's worth, I might as well have upgraded from the factory!

I had problems a long time ago mixing and trying to match RAM installed on PCs. I learned from experience that incompatible RAM that is not in matched pairs might seem to work at first but in the long run you can run into strange compatibility issues. A typical problem when using faulty or incompatible memory, unmatched pairs of RAM sticks or having a faulty disk drive is having random system reboots. If the problem disappears when using the stock RAM then there is likely a problem with the upgrade RAM you replaced it with.

I have had some success with using matched pair RAM that I purchased online for my Macs and PCs (Kingston, Crucial/Micron, Corsair, etc.) but you don't always have an absolute guarantee knowing exactly what you are getting. I usually order RAM upgrades for my Mac direct from Crucial in matched pairs... Guaranteed compatibility when using the matched pair kit of RAM they recommend for your Mac and a lifetime warranty so that if you have a problem with the RAM in the future then they will replace it with the same or another compatible RAM pair kit they recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectronGuru

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
I ordered the RAM directly form Crucial using their compatible upgrades tool. RAM arrived this morning so I set about replacing the faulty RAM with the new RAM.

I installed the new RAM and on first boot, only 1 stick was recognised. Shut down the machine, disassembled, reseated both sticks and now the machine won't turn on at all. I definitely haven't missed any connectors (I've followed the iFixit guide step by step, 3 times since it wouldn't power on) and it still won't power on.

In case the RAM was causing it, I've swapped back to the RAM that the machine shipped with and low and behold, it powers on. Although it took a while to boot it got there eventually.

Last edited:

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
So, both RAM kits have been returned to their original vendors. Has anybody had any success with the crucial "compatible" RAM kits?

The memory which @cococheaf linked above works for them but its considerably more expensive than the Crucial branded version.

Any further input would be great appreciated and welcomed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

With all the additional cost and trouble, how much -more- would it have cost to order RAM from Apple...? ;)

Reactions: TonyK

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
OP:

With all the additional cost and trouble, how much -more- would it have cost to order RAM from Apple...? ;)
After upgrading RAM on older Macs (2012 and earlier!), I gathered it would be a breeze. This is something I's use to after all. Boy was I wrong!

In the grand scheme of things, the ~£300 which I "saved" by upgrading the RAM myself wasn't worth it since I'm now back to 8GB and had to endure a couple of days downtime whilst I ran through troubleshooting. At least I got a refund on both RAM kits though!

Reactions: TonyK

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Apple 2018 ram upgrade is a sad joke compared to dell optiplex ram upgrade.

A screw driver and under five minutes the optiplex is done.

Apple intended the ram to be a pita to upgrade.

Won’t get into the nvme m.2 upgrade Apple can’t be done.

Dell optiplex under five minutes do,it when you do the ram upgrade.

I am old school and when i think of apples 1984 commercial and what they become it is truly sad.

Poor Steve must turn over in his grave nightly.

Reactions: Dr. Stealth

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon

I am old school and when i think of apples 1984 commercial and what they become it is truly sad.

A torx driver and 5 minutes and I can replace the ram in the mini. It's not hard. And Steve wouldn't give two ****s if you could upgrade your ram.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H38422/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: racerhomie

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India

NVMe SSDs are standard on Mac Mini. You can make an argument against iMac HDD .For Mac Mini external storage expansion is super easy with usb for cheap slow hdd storage or TB3 port for external SATA SSDs

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
A torx driver and 5 minutes and I can replace the ram in the mini. It's not hard. And Steve wouldn't give two ****s if you could upgrade your ram.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H38422/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cook and co are loving guys like you.:apple:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
OP:

I've upgraded ram in various minis through the years. Looked at the video for the 2018 and deciding to just pay for the upgraded system upfront. The new 2018 mini is for my wife and the fewer issues the better. All it takes is for the new memory to be bad to drive down any cost savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.